Is this wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkster

Reaction score
Mother asks if her 14 year old Daughter can have a Hollywood wax?

I was so put on the spot I just said I would need to speak to my insurance co, which I did and have decided no (they have no age restriction but their advice made me choose not to).

I don't have kids but this just seems a bit wrong to me? Do we not let them grow up anymore?

I personally feel it is very wrong. However, I had a client who asked for her 16 year old daughter. She has a massive aversion to hair and shaves every day, all around her bikini area, front and back. I did do the daughter but think 16 is very young.

I was horrified to read of boys who had had sex with girls with pubic hair who then went to the doctors as they were worried they may have contracted something. Unbelievable ignorance!

Vic x

I went to a clients once who had asked if she could book a Brazilian for her daughter ....I didn't even think of asking the age as thought that no responsible parent would want a 12 year old to have it done ....yes when I got there she was 12!!....I refused and said I wasn't prepared to do it ...I've never suffered such abuse from from anyone ( well except my ex husband but that's another story) she literally ripped me apart telling me that she was going to slate my business blah blah blah....I just told her I'd rather get slated for not doing it than doing it!.....x

In the UK most women are over 18 before they have their first wax. I have a minimum age of 16 as that's the age of sexual consent - but I have about 2 clients under 18! It's a cost thing as much as anything else. Waxing is expensive for a teenager! I have a few young women who have been waxing since age 14 (not with me). It's usually gymnasts going to the Mum of a gymnast friend.

An Aussie friend assures me that it's quite normal in Os for women take their 14 yrs old daughters to the salon for intimate waxing. And I have had European students tell me they have been waxing since age 16 or 17. My daughter started having Hollywoods at age 17 without telling me, that was ten years ago.

I wouldn't let a therapist under 18 do an intimate wax - but at the moment it's just me doing them. I wouldn't accept a booking made by a father, as Dads get their arm twisted by daughters, and I would be reluctant to accept a booking made by a Mum as I would want my clients to have the confidence and maturity to be able to book a treatment themselves.

I've had several Mums book their pubescent daughters in for facial waxing and threading. I've had one girl throw a tantrum because she didn't know hair removal hurt. Her Mum was most embarrassed and realised that she'd agreed to a treatment that her daughter wasn't ready for. I've had another English Mum bring her mixed race daughter in for lip threading. I've told her that her daughter's skin was too delicate for threading. My view is that each time it's the Mum with issues. I don't mind a simple brow shape on under age girls and maybe a leg wax, a blemish facial, or a simple mani or pedi, but that's about it.

I suppose I might do a low leg bikini on a pubescent girl that was self conscious - but nothing under her knickers. And I don't give a toss about culture...my culture says its wrong!

Last edited:
The youngest girl I've waxed was 17, she's 18 now and comes in with her mum. She has an extended bikini but I don't go in very far past a regular. I would be very uncomfortable doing a braz or hollywood on anyone under 18 and I think I would probably refuse if they were under 16.

I think it's important we accept that different people have different amount of hair growth, some girls start puberty earlier than others & whilst most 14 year olds probably only have a neat amount at the front that can be maintained by trimming only, some may have a bush way beyond the leg line.
Being a teenager is tough & girls can be horrible, whilst some girls may want waxing because of peer pressure or sexual reasons, I imagine the majority is because of extensive hair growth that would be mortifying when swimming or changing at school.
Also as said above a gymnast or swimmer would really benefit, especially if they needed to shave everyday to keep on top of it. We are all so quick to judge & I think it's important to put things in to perspective.
I'd personally be inclined to ask why & I'd want to discuss it both with client & mum & make sure the client understood what it entails etc if it was a genuine reason I'd consider going ahead, hopefully talking about a high leg bikini wax instead, sometimes I think people say Brazilian not having a clue.
Whilst 12 does seem very very young though especially for a Brazilian.
It's a tough one & a personal decision. I've not been asked yet for anybody under 18.

I think that as well as obviously checking with your insurance company and/or trainer, you've got to go with what you feel comfortable with.

I absolutely do not want to be known as the therapist that brazilian waxes 12 and 14 year olds, I'm quite happy for someone else to take that title. I'd feel uncomfortable brazilian waxing a 16 year old but would consider it depending on why they wanted it done.

As far as I can remember I have only ever been asked once about waxing a 16 year old who had apparently cut herself to shreds doing it with a razor and had only done half a job, I told her mum to get in touch in 6 weeks once everything had healed and the hair had regrown and I never heard from her again.

Thank you for your replies. This was the daughter wanting it done telling her mum that 'no-one has hair these days don't you know'! Mum therefore asked me if I would.

After discussions with my insurance co I decided not to for this reason: whilst there is no age limit on any non electrical treatment, they advised that an adult has 3 years from the date of a treatment with which to make a claim. In the case of a minor they have 3 years from the date that they become an adult (18) therefore a 14 year old would have 7 years in which to make a claim. Something I think we should all bear in mind considering how many people make shit up these days.

Also, I just don't feel comfortable so I'm not doing it.

And I don't like kids anyway, even though she looked more like 17!

Great comments @Sharkster. We should all live by our own rules.
It's tricky isn't it. Is 16 - the age of sexual consent - old enough to decide whether to have your foo foo waxed? Can you get sued for traumatising a minor!

All food for thought.

Vic x

Man, I'm 23 and I'm still not brave enough to get my bits out for an intimate wax!!

I only started shaving there when I was 16/17.

When I was 14 I was still climbing trees and collecting bugs. What is wrong with being a child these days?

I wouldn't go further than a high bikini for those under 16. I have done high bikinis, full legs and underarms on girls aged 13 and over who were swimmers with a lot of dark hair growth and parental permission.

It's a bit of a grey area once they hit 16 really. You're old enough to have a child but not old enough to drive. I've not had to choose whether to do a Brazilian as I've not been asked x

I have 3 clients aged 16 who have Hollywood waxes, all of which come in with their parents. They all have mums who regularly wax and so see it as perfectly normal. I really don't have a problem with it at all. I wouldn't dream of doing a Hollywood on anyone under 16 though.

I would only do a standard bikini wax on anyone under 18 and I would want their Mum present even for that.

Ok im going to throw a spanner in the works here. I was 16 when i started getting hollywoods. Im not particularly hairy but i always found it a bit messy and never liked it. Now the salon knew how old i was and were fine with it. Never asked for my mums permission and i always paid for it with money from my part time job. Personally i dont see anything wrong with a girl of 16 coming in and asking for a hollywood. Anyone under 16 its high bikini only so there is nothing showing outside of panties. Again i see nothing wrong with younger girls coming in for leg or underarm waxing. If i think they are mature enough or even due to sport or being particularly hairy then of course i want to help them feel better.

I do believe its also a cultural thing. I know the majority of western european women are introduced to waxing as soon as they start to get hair and to an extent i think us brits can be very prudish and would rather it was hidden then delt with. To me its just hair being removed from the legs and underarms. I get the surrounding issues of bikini lines though.

As someone else has said we each have our own rules so stick to them and dont let anyone else push your bounderies.

I wouldn't do it and even at 16yrs of age I get their mother to sign.

I am not sure what I would say. I think I would consider it after discussion. I think a really good client consultation is best, do they know it will hurt, why do they want it etc. The age of sexual consent has been mentioned a few times but I suppose that's almost assuming they want it done because of a partner. In my case it was fashionable to get it removed when I was at school and tbh I wasn't particularly hairy but still now hate the feel of it, don't feel as clean. If my mum would have paid for it for me I would have been very happy xxx

I am not sure what I would say. I think I would consider it after discussion. I think a really good client consultation is best, do they know it will hurt, why do they want it etc. The age of sexual consent has been mentioned a few times but I suppose that's almost assuming they want it done because of a partner. In my case it was fashionable to get it removed when I was at school and tbh I wasn't particularly hairy but still now hate the feel of it, don't feel as clean. If my mum would have paid for it for me I would have been very happy xxx
My feelings on sexual consent aren't that they're having it done for a partner but more that they can decided to have sex at 16 so can make their decision on intimate waxing. I don't correlate the 2. Interestingly, many people I intimate wax aren't in relationships. They're not having their waxing done in case they meet someone. They just like being hair free.

Vic x

My feelings on sexual consent aren't that they're having it done for a partner but more that they can decided to have sex at 16 so can make their decision on intimate waxing. I don't correlate the 2. Interestingly, many people I intimate wax aren't in relationships. They're not having their waxing done in case they meet someone. They just like being hair free.

Vic x

I am in a relationship but I do it for myself [emoji23] wouldn't care what he thought honestly I just feel much cleaner and better having a Hollywood! X

I don't wax anymore but when I did my youngest client was 12, they were Indian and it's just what they do they like to be hair free cause they're so dark I guess but I only ever did a regular bikini wax . (She still has me for nails now and she's 25)
I think you have to gage it use your own instinct if you feel it's being done for the right reasons do it if your not happy with it don't do it!

Latest posts

Back