Isopropyl alcohol instead of monomer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna_lou83

Reaction score
I’m allergic to monomer and another tech told me that I can substitute this for isopropyl alcohol when doing acrylics instead. Anyone know if this is true and if it works?

This will not create good extension.
Is true you can replace slip solution for polygel or gel wipe with alcohol and get good result but for acrylic you need monomer to activate the polymer powder and create a good solid product. Alcohol does not have any monomers in it to connect to the polymers in powder so if it even does clump into ball it will not be as secure or lasting like normal acrylic made with polymer and monomer.
If you allergic to specific type of monomer try another brand or try gel/ polygel which do not contain the ingredient you have allergy with.
Sad to say but if you have allergy you will have forever and must find better solution than to try to make your own product against brand advice. If something happen to your work if you do this you will not be covered by your insurance because you go against brand direction. Be careful! My only advice for working with allergy is to double your gloves and try very hard to not let yourself or client be touched by product or else you can give this same allergy to a client.

This will not create good extension.
Is true you can replace slip solution for polygel or gel wipe with alcohol and get good result but for acrylic you need monomer to activate the polymer powder and create a good solid product. Alcohol does not have any monomers in it to connect to the polymers in powder so if it even does clump into ball it will not be as secure or lasting like normal acrylic made with polymer and monomer.
If you allergic to specific type of monomer try another brand or try gel/ polygel which do not contain the ingredient you have allergy with.
Sad to say but if you have allergy you will have forever and must find better solution than to try to make your own product against brand advice. If something happen to your work if you do this you will not be covered by your insurance because you go against brand direction. Be careful! My only advice for working with allergy is to double your gloves and try very hard to not let yourself or client be touched by product or else you can give this same allergy to a client.

Thanks SarahNails25 that’s what I thought. I’m a tech of 10 years and had never heard this before but this tech was adamant that you could substitute one for the other!

Latest posts

Back