Just managed to trash my nails with Gellux

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyrocket123

Reaction score
Newly qualified so was excited to finally buy some professional gels. I am booked on a Shellac course but also wanted another product to offer my clients. I have my first paying customer tonight so yesterday went and bought Gellux base/top (the two in one product) and a few colours which I love.
Put it on myself last night and loved the application but when I went to remove it again (have to have bare nails for next week) I buffed off the top lightly and then put them in my steam off machine, found it would NOT come off! A full hour later my nails are now rough and look awful!
That's going to be a great advert to my customer :(
A quick google tells me that Gellux is something of a nightmare to remove. I wish I'd read that before spending a load of money on it. I can't put this on my clients nails if the removal is going to be so bad and ruin her nails!
I read about the Easy Off base which I saw when I was buying my products yesterday. If you use this how long does it take you to remove Gellux?
I'm not sure I have confidence in Gellux now, is Gelish any better?

I'm not familiar with gellux

I use shellac and the manicure company.

They both do removers where literally you buff off the top coat...soak a lint free pad in there specific remover and wrap it around the nail tight with tin foil....leave on for 5 to ten minutes and then with ur cuticle pusher gently scrape off (not to heavy to damage the nail bed) works wonders and then give a light buff when it's all off and I apply CND rescue rx if there not having any 're applied and it's as simple as that. Custoners are happy there nails look and feel great.

Maybe look into the gellux brand and see do they have a remover as of they do it will save u some hardship.

Just on those steamers I tried them and ended up growing them in a drawer didn't find them great at all.

No you're right, gellux is a so and so to get off although pretty good at staying on! When I used it, it beat CND Shellac hands down in that sense but I used a combination of acetone wrapping and (quite a lot of) buffing to remove

Agree with blossom, I don't think necessarily Gellux is a bad product, it's just different to other brands. It's the most hard wearing polish I've ever had, hands down.

I found with removal it worked best for me to really file down through the top coat, down to the colour, wrap in remover, then move on to the next t nail. Once I had wrapped all 10 (probably around 10-15 mins later), I went back to the first nail, scraped lose product and gently buffed down solid product, re-wrapped etc.

I think the whole process took at max 25-30 minutes.

Anna and Blossom do you mind me asking which base you're using with Gellux? I love the colours but I'm just starting off so don't want to annoy any potential clients by taking hours removing gel and I'd hate anyone's nails to look and feel like mine do today.
I haven't had a problem with my steam machine it's always removed gel in minutes before

Anna and Blossom do you mind me asking which base you're using with Gellux? I love the colours but I'm just starting off so don't want to annoy any potential clients by taking hours removing gel and I'd hate anyone's nails to look and feel like mine do today.
I haven't had a problem with my steam machine it's always removed gel in minutes before

I had the base/top gel just like you. I think it's important that you remove as much of the top coat as you can before soaking.

I had the base/top gel just like you. I think it's important that you remove as much of the top coat as you can before soaking.
Me too. I did buy the easy off base but tbh never really got round to using it as I discontinued with the Gellux. I still use Shellac, which is good/great on normal/strong nails and on weak nails I apply an overlay underneath it. I couldn't handle a product that was so hard to remove.

You're much better off using the easy off base coat rather than the 2in1 although I've never had a problem getting it off. My main brand is shellac but have a few others alongside for variety

Latest posts

Back