Just starting out in hairdressing and need advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zzzfoster

Reaction score
Hi All,
I started a level 2 nvq part time in september and am going to be qualified by June but i dont know what to do following this? I dont really want to go into a salon and would like to just start a mobile business but unsure what the best way to go forward is. Been speaking to some people doing Level 3 and they have said its not worth it and that Id be better off gaining experience by doing courses and advancing my skills this way? Any suggestions please?

Thanks Zoe

Hi All,
I started a level 2 nvq part time in september and am going to be qualified by June but i dont know what to do following this? I dont really want to go into a salon and would like to just start a mobile business but unsure what the best way to go forward is. Been speaking to some people doing Level 3 and they have said its not worth it and that Id be better off gaining experience by doing courses and advancing my skills this way? Any suggestions please?

Thanks Zoe
I'd say go into a salon and get more experience. I don't think u will know enough to get you through the problems u face. It's always good to have someone close by to ask advice.
I kno I certainly didn't k is enough when I first qualified

I'd say go to a salon , get experience , I learnt far more after I qualified and still learning 8 years later , mobile would be hard as you would have no one on hand to ask advice if you needed it Xx

Salon you need experience before mobile esp from being in college

The hard truth is when you qualify its literally the basics of the basics and you need to be around people with a lot more experience than yourself. Granted advanced courses will help, but you will still hit a brick wall and wonder what do I do now quite often and that's where a colleague or 2 helps.
Take maybe a year or two in a salon just to hone your skills and get to a point where you are confident in your skills (not the just qualified dilusion of having a good skill set) xoxo

Thank you All for your advice helps alot, i have been doing it mobile so far as I work in a completely different field so it would be hard to change jobs to go full time in a salon i think, will have to look into things and see what i can do.

Thanks all
:lol:

Its just like changing any job really though and if you really want to make a go of it then its the best option xoxo

Yeh i only left college last year in june and when i went into salon i defo did not no enough i am still training now theres so much more to learn.

They always say salons work different from college and what you learn in college is basics. I'm going to study hairdressing I'm sept and hoping to leave one of my part time jobs and get a part time one in a salon to help me along with the course and also when I leave I think working with experienced stylists will benefit me with tips, problems etc.

It also will work in your favour client wise.. You will probably gain more clients in the salon than starting out mobile being new to the trade. And also some salons will be putting you through certain training days, eg they're getting a new colour range in so everyone has to be trained up on it, I know a salon here that take the girls out once a year to some fancy hairdressing day in Edinburgh and put them up for the night and they get a workshop on stuff there etc xx

Level 2 doesn't cover colour correction or creative cutting which you will need to know...either by doing level 3 or training up in a salon.

i qualified in my level 3 last year and been in a salon coming on a year now , being in a salon really helped me even being level 3 ! i have learned so much just by being around other stylist's x

I think im going to have to really think about everything cause i am in not in a good position to change jobs really such a massive step, i love hairdressing and really want to do it maybe will have to just try carry on as i can and try get into a salon in the future.. Thanks for all the advice :lol:

Latest posts

Back