Keen to Learn - Nail Tech Training in Leeds

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lattikka

Reaction score
Hi!
Fabulous forum, very inspiring!!! :) I've been reading it forum for a while, however I'm not a pro, just sort of a diy, but may be some day...
Would somebody, please, be so kind and explain to me how to become a good nail tech? I don't believe in one-day training, but most of information I have found (done my bit of googling) is exactly about those short courses. May be someone can recommend what the first step should be?
I live in Leeds, visited CND website, they do 5day foundation course. That can't possibly be it! Can it? But investing £600 into a hobby is kinda not an option for me. I mean, would I be able to do nails for living after that?
Another question... Is it a good career opportunity or the competition is just too stiff and may be it's better to keep it as a hobby?

Thanks x

Hi!
Fabulous forum, very inspiring!!! :) I've been reading it forum for a while, however I'm not a pro, just sort of a diy, but may be some day...
Would somebody, please, be so kind and explain to me how to become a good nail tech? I don't believe in one-day training, but most of information I have found (done my bit of googling) is exactly about those short courses. May be someone can recommend what the first step should be?
I live in Leeds, visited CND website, they do 5day foundation course. That can't possibly be it! Can it? But investing £600 into a hobby is kinda not an option for me. I mean, would I be able to do nails for living after that?
Another question... Is it a good career opportunity or the competition is just too stiff and may be it's better to keep it as a hobby?

Thanks x

CND do not claim that you or anyone else will earn a living immediately after a 5 day foundation class. To complete the full CND syllabus will take anyone a good year of dedication to learning a difficult skill. You will however be able to start to practice safely on paying clients ... results come with practice to build your skills.

Take a look at this: http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/68768-i-can-learn-how-do-nails-five-minutes.html I think you will find it enlightening.

You are lucky you have CND on your door step ... they have the reputation of offering the best education and products in the business. Why not actually speak to them 08452106060 and get them to send you details of the complete syllabus?

To complete the full CND syllabus will take anyone a good year of dedication to learning a difficult skill. You will however be able to start to practice safely on paying clients ... results come with practice to build your skills.

Thank You for your reply! I had a look at a thread you recommended... I totally believe everything said there.
I don't wanna spend money on CHEAP COURSES, I wanna be a proper nail tech, with good theoretical knowledge, and as you said good skills only come with time and practice. But would anybody employ a novice with just CND foundation certificate? On S2 | Accelerating Growth in Technology Companies it says: The Signature5 Foundation Course using CND's Retention+ Liquid and Powder system provides the necessary platform upon which the novice can become a professional.
Carefully crafted to balance the essential theoretical and practical application skills, our famous Foundation Courses are unique in their approach and allow budding professionals to get out into the field and start practicing safely RIGHT AWAY.To me it seems practically unrealistic. Is it?

Sorry, if I'm annoying...

Thank You for your reply! I had a look at a thread you recommended... I totally believe everything said there.
I don't wanna spend money on CHEAP COURSES, I wanna be a proper nail tech, with good theoretical knowledge, and as you said good skills only come with time and practice. But would anybody employ a novice with just CND foundation certificate? On S2 | Accelerating Growth in Technology Companies it says: The Signature5 Foundation Course using CND's Retention+ Liquid and Powder system provides the necessary platform upon which the novice can become a professional.
Carefully crafted to balance the essential theoretical and practical application skills, our famous Foundation Courses are unique in their approach and allow budding professionals to get out into the field and start practicing safely RIGHT AWAY.To me it seems practically unrealistic. Is it?

Sorry, if I'm annoying...
You're not annoying ...

No it is not unrealistic .. many have done it including myself. Everyone who is serious gets practicing right away and with the knowledge of what is safe and what is not. Safety is key to start .. making something beautiful and long lasting takes the time.

As the syllabus indicates, a foundation is a platform upon which you BUILD your skills. You have to start somewhere. Much of ones learning is done on the job (as with anything) coupled with on-going education - life long education and getting it right from the start is key. So many faff about on stupid courses which get them ready for nothing. Partner with CND and they will get you where YOU want to go.

Imagine that nail training is like learning to drive. The best driving training will get you behind the wheel, teach you how to be safe, responsible and give you all the skills you need to go solo........... right? ok, then once you are out on the road , the learning REALLY takes place. you pick up more skills, hints and tips and you learn by your mistakes too!

I see nails in this way. What CND will do is give you the skills you need to be a safe and competent nail stylist. BUT YOU MUST TAKE THAT WHEEL. YOU must decide which road you are travellling, at what speed and also try not to pick up naughty habits once you are capable of going it alone.

Learning nails is a hard slog for many , I wont lie to you, no-one here on this forum will try and blag you into thinking that you are hoping to do is dead esy. it so isnt!!!

BUT its worth it , every bit of blood sweat and tears are worth it. You can't expect to leave with that certificate in your hand on the monday and get a job on the tuesday. It doesn't work like that. You are going to need to practise practise and then when you have had enough of practising you'll need to practise more.........

my final bit of advice for you is this . go to CND in leeds, I live in wales and happily make the trip to them in leeds!

oh and the best of luck hon.

tigi
xxxxxxxxxx

I completed the signature 5 foundation nearly a year ago and have not looked back. It has been hard, I have spent most nights practising, I am only just making (good) profit, I done set after set for free, for practise. Basically it has been hard work, I believe the sig 5 course gaev me the begining to start my passion for being a SERIOUS nail tech.

Firstly I had no expaectations of earnin big bucks straight away (you gain what you reap) therefore good education and products are a must. After 6 months or so I took a skill building class, I am now booked onto more classes with hopes at gaining my masters. I am no where happy with my knowledge and believe me I have read books and learnt lots, and I am willing to learn more from the best (creative educators) the only thing that will help me learn is EXPERIENCE and perfect PRACTISE.

If you wanted to learn any profession would you expect to be top of your field in five mins and earning big bucks? NO,,,nails are no different,,,bit blunt but true xx

Thank you for your replies...
I'm now sure that CND can be trusted 110%... :)
I'm not expecting any miracles (nor skill wise, nor job wise), just wanted to ask professional opinion on what is worth doing so I can benefit from it in the long run...
x x

Have you looked into the Local Adult Education centre? I am doing the VCTC/NVQ Level 2 course in Nail services. It runs over 33 weeks, one day a week and covers Manicure, Pedicure, Nail Art, Acrylics and Gell tips. The course is very detailed and at first we practiced on each other but we now having paying clients who come into the Salon fo treatments whilst we are being assessed. I would recommend this course very highly. xxx:)

Have you looked into the Local Adult Education centre? I am doing the VCTC/NVQ Level 2 course in Nail services. It runs over 33 weeks, one day a week and covers Manicure, Pedicure, Nail Art, Acrylics and Gell tips. The course is very detailed and at first we practiced on each other but we now having paying clients who come into the Salon fo treatments whilst we are being assessed. I would recommend this course very highly. xxx:)

The only course like this in Leeds is in Leeds City College. On the web page in the description of the course it says to note that it doesn't cover acrylic application.

After reading Loads of threads on this forum about education I have come to the conclusion that after college no one is gonna employ me (working for myself in not an option at the moment or in the near future), as the majority of posts are about how BAD it is... Which is kinda off-putting...
I'm sure there are good courses and I am happy to hear that you have managed to find one, but unfortunately I don't have 33 weeks to find out in the end that this is not the one...
I hope everything works out for you the best possible way! :)

Hi, I trained with CND and am studying for my NVQ 3 in nail services and in my opinion the NVQ 3 training doesn't even come close to that given by CND (the foundation course taught me more in 5 days!!). Obviously I cant speak for every college, some might be better than others but you will definately get off on the right track with CND and you DEFINATELY wont regret it.
Good luck.

Thank you for your replies...
I'm now sure that CND can be trusted 110%... :)
I'm not expecting any miracles (nor skill wise, nor job wise), just wanted to ask professional opinion on what is worth doing so I can benefit from it in the long run...
x x

Hi There. Well you may have made your mind up already what your going to do but i personally wouldnt advise a 5 day course, i done nvq level 2 beauty therapy then when onto nvq level 3 nails which i am doing at the moment and me myself regret not doin nvq level 2 nails 1st. ive been studying since september and still struggle there is so much to take in and you want to make sure you know absoloutely everything regarding nails and the theory side. i think an employer would more want to employ somebody who's got a full nvq level 3 rather then a 5day course. a friend of mine done one and they use white tips, they don't make the white with acrylic. hope this helps. jade :p

Hi There. Well you may have made your mind up already what your going to do but i personally wouldnt advise a 5 day course, i done nvq level 2 beauty therapy then when onto nvq level 3 nails which i am doing at the moment and me myself regret not doin nvq level 2 nails 1st. ive been studying since september and still struggle there is so much to take in and you want to make sure you know absoloutely everything regarding nails and the theory side. i think an employer would more want to employ somebody who's got a full nvq level 3 rather then a 5day course. a friend of mine done one and they use white tips, they don't make the white with acrylic. hope this helps. jade :p

It isn't a 5 day course at CND ... the 5 day course is the start and an excellent one in fact, the most excellent one there is. I've done NVQ .. and it doesn't and will not come close to preparing you for working in the real world.

We're talking about a CND course here not any poxy old course. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back