Keep ruining my acrylic brushes!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pika

Reaction score
Southampton, Portsmouth & Welwyn Garden City (i'm
Don't know where I'm going wrong, i manage to keep my brush for about 6 months then have to buy a new one. They just go rock hard even though I'm soaking them in fresh monomer after every set, the ends of the hairs look split?? I've used my cuticle pusher (flat side) to scrape the acrylic out but it still keeps happening. Need help!! I'm using an Edge kolinsky sable xx

Maybe you application technique is wrong you shouldn't have any acrylic on your brush after putting it on to to the nail or you should have very little and wiping your brush after each bead? Or maybe use brush cleaner which is a little less harsh than monomer and is formulated to keep the life of your brush. Also I wouldn't use a metal tool that would only snap bristles or fray them. Hope I helped. Rachel xxxx

Maybe you application technique is wrong you shouldn't have any acrylic on your brush after putting it on to to the nail or you should have very little and wiping your brush after each bead? Or maybe use brush cleaner which is a little less harsh than monomer and is formulated to keep the life of your brush. Also I wouldn't use a metal tool that would only snap bristles or fray them. Hope I helped. Rachel xxxx

I agree, although stick to cleaning the brush in monomer as brush cleaners tend to have acetone in them and that's not good for a good Kolinsky sable brush ;)

As said,If you are using the correct mix ratio of liquid to powder then the bead should come clean off your brush when applying.
When finished always make sure your brush is free from product and train back into a point before putting away.

Same as Izzidoll. Make sure you use correct ratio of liquid and powder.
If you have acrylic in your brush then it is wrong.
Practice picking up beads a bit more to get it right.
I have tried the Edge brush but it didnt work for me I'm afraid. I found it didnt hold the monomer enough, so my beads were too dry.
That might be your problem too.
Get the best brush you can afford and ensure it never dries out especially when stored away. HTH

Thanks ladies, I think that it definitely half my problem, my ratio always seems to be quite dry and I always have acrylic left in the brush after each nail, I try to clean as I go by wiping it. Will get practising with my ratio when I get home :) thanks again xxx

Thanks ladies, I think that it definitely half my problem, my ratio always seems to be quite dry and I always have acrylic left in the brush after each nail, I try to clean as I go by wiping it. Will get practising with my ratio when I get home :) thanks again xxx
Fingernail Fixer has a great You Tube video on ratio that you might like to watch

I always - no matter what I do, even after all these years - always clog up my brush. So after I've finished I set my brush in acetone and clean it that way because monomer won't touch the mess I make haha

You do need to buy a better brush though the edge brushes are really for starters you want to get a good brush worth around 60-80 (hopefully on sale at half price ;p)

And for Christ's sake never scrape your brush! Of course you're getting split ends if you're traumatising the poor thing like that!! X

I always - no matter what I do, even after all these years - always clog up my brush. So after I've finished I set my brush in acetone and clean it that way because monomer won't touch the mess I make haha

You do need to buy a better brush though the edge brushes are really for starters you want to get a good brush worth around 60-80 (hopefully on sale at half price ;p)

And for Christ's sake never scrape your brush! Of course you're getting split ends if you're traumatising the poor thing like that!! X

Lol I'll stop traumatising my brushes from now on :) have just ordered the NSI royal precision brush, and have ordered the brush cleaner from nsi aswel. Figured that would be best seeing as I use their products :)
Thanks for the help ladies xxx

Latest posts

Back