Kids climbing over mum while having a treatment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would just tell your client at the start that due to the fact you're going to be working with chemicals they shouldn't let their children near them. A friend who is a mobile therapist does my nails at my house and I have a 3year old daughter (who is very clingy to me any other time!) but I always make sure she has something to keep her occupied while I get my nails done as I know how annoying it can be when you're trying to work with hands flying everywhere! xx

[QOTE=emily.case;1487328]I have a little section on my website saying that my tools, implements and producs can be hazardous to children and pets (because hyper dogs are a nightmare too) and 'as well as not wanting them to injure themselves, I will charge for any damage'... that usually puts them off!!

I have one lady who I have to book TWO HOURS out for a rebalance, because her 1 year old won't leave her alone. She lets the child sit on the table/on her lap, and reach over to my stuff, she makes the kid lunch etc half way through an appointment so I have to start again (smudged and dented acrylic, who manages that?!!)... and then laughs when I say 'no sweetie you can't touch that'. Frustrates me no end and as much as I love kids, I just want to kick that nuisance client in the shin!!!

xx[/QUOTE]
Welcome to my world!

The best ones are those that bring their toddlers with them when they are having an eyelash tint or a new born when they're in for a facial:eek:, drives me crazy.
Once we had a lady come in for an hrs laser hair removal and she bought her child with her knowing that the child couldn't go into the treatment room with her due to the lasers.
These people take the p,seriously, I'm a mother of 3 and when they were younger I wouldn't have dreamed of anyone having to look after them whilst I had a treatment, unless they were friends,family or it was pre arranged.
I seriously don't think there's any way round it unless you want to lose valuable clients. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often for me but it's a real bug bearer of mine.:evil:

This drives me mad. I have one client with kids that are a complete nightmare and won’t leave her for 2 minutes. With a smile (gritted teeth) I normally say something like “you need to let mummy sit very still or I’m going to end up painting her knuckles not her nails.” The parent/client normally takes the hint, has a wee laugh and joke at it and sends the child off. Bliss

I have one lady who I have to book TWO HOURS out for a rebalance
I hope you are charging this clinet for the extra time your booking in for her and she knows that she is being billed extra for the time too.

I had a few clients in my early days that stated that they had to have treatments at certain times when the children were around but had nobody to watch the children so I'd tell them that I'd book them in for the appointmnet and any time over their hour would be billed at £5 for every 15 mins. I would book them a 2 hour slot just to ensure I wasn't late to the next client.

After telling my clinets the new rule for over running appointment times I only ever over ran by 15 minutes max as the client knew they were paying for all the disruptions the children made to the appointment and they didn't like paying that extra £5. It was amazing how the next time they booked either the children were elswhere or there was a friend/relative there to take care of the child so we could finish within the alloted appointment time :biggrin:.

Could you write up a short disclaimer that states:

I, Jo Bloggs (client), have been advised accordingly by Mary Smith (therapist) that children and animals should not be present throughout my treatment.

Signed .............................................................

I, Jo Bloggs, accept complete responsibility and totally absolve my therapist Mary Smith, from any liability should my children and/or animals, whom I have allowed to be present throughout my treatment, be injured in any way by Mary Smith's tools and/or chemical products.

Signed ............................................................

The client has to sign both parts.

Hopefully this would act as a deterrent as it probably would not absolve you should there be an incident.

But it surely would focus the mind of the parent and force them to take this issue more seriously then they apparently seem to.

Once again I have to say I have total total respect for you mobile therapists and nail techs - you are truly amazing.

Jacqui xxx

I would stop and tell the mother that you cannot continue with her treatment unless she sorts her brats er children out. My son is 16 now but I would never have let that happen when he was little. My dogs don;t bother my hairdresser when she comes to do my hair, why should children be allowed to? These mombies have alot to answer for!

What is your job title?

Nanny? Nursery nurse? Teacher? OR Therapist

You are there to do a service not look after the kids. I am mobile and I always ask that there be someone there to take care of the children as I have other clients and my time is limited. I can't be stopping and starting or reaplying gel becuase the client has children that need seeing to all the time.

I am a mum of 4 so totally understand that kids are curious and want mummy etc... but if she wants her nails done or her Minx applied or her tan done then the kids must be looked after during the appointment.

I often offer later evening appiontments to those clients that are single mums or don't have much help available for looking after the children, this way the kids are in bed and we can get the service done in peace. I would prefer to go out at 9pm and do a treatment than to go out at 7 and have a nightmare because of the kids playing up.

Later appointments for clients with kids! This is genius! Thank you!

I took my middle child with me to a salon once. Never ever again. I have no idea why other parents would put themselves through this more than once. Its horrible.

Just to let you know that this thread was first created back in 2012.

Hi was going to post a separate thread for this, but figured it was relevant in here!
I have a lady who wants to come to get her nails done but shes going to bring her 5month old baby with her, Iv told her id recommend gel due to the smell of the acrylic and her baby being in the same room as it. I have a feeling shes going to persist for acrylic, do you think the smell is appropriate for a baby? Harmfull at all?
Thanks for your advise

What type of cuticle pusher do you recommend for this? I only have a standard one. I hope it will do the job. :wink2:

Should be ok but do remember to sanitise first

Urgh! This I can relate to. Years ago I did a mobile wax for a lady who had 2 year old twins.... They were a total nightmare. At one point they appeared half way through the treatment naked, covered in their own poo and climbing all over my couch & their Mother. Horrendous!! It still makes me gag ;) I made it clear then and there that I would not do any further mobile treatments for her while her kids were unsupervised (or anywhere near me!) It worked (she's actually now a really good friend & we laugh about it still). More recently I had a client arrive at my home salon with her 4 (!!) children in tow. They were appallingly behaved too. I explained that I couldn't have them here again... a) For insurance purposes, b) For their safety around my equipment, and c) For her relaxation and enjoyment of the treatment. All fine til the next time she booked & said she'd have to bring the children with her again. I said 'no' for the same reasons I'd given her before. She decided not to book and I haven't heard from her since! Not a client I need.... As one Geek pointed out, I'm a beautician, not a baby sitter ;) x

HAHA.. I've absolutely loved reading all of these comments! Had me in stitches! I can relate so much! x

I had this problem last night! Clients toddler was climbing all over mum and she had to stop half way through to make him a snack. In the end we had to stop completely so her mum could come over to look after him. To make things a little easier I did one hand at a time so she always had one hand free if her son needed anything and to keep him still while he sat on her lap [emoji4] but was a long evening [emoji58] lol

Lol this has got to be my favourite comment!

I've had kids knock stuff over and snap my colour wheels :mad: so frustrating!!

Latest posts

Back