kids!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarpops99

Reaction score
Hi all

Just asking your opinion really. I have been practising doing acrylics on family and friends of friends and asking them for a small donation towards use of products. The thing is that the past 3 sets that I have done there has been a couple of kids around while this was happening (approx 1-9 years old) I have found this really off putting and at times unable to concentrate with them jumping around and crying on mummy while I am trying to do her nails. I have just been smiling sweetly and trying not to show this has been a distraction. Because I am in the person's own home as well I have been telling myself that there isnt much I can do about this. But what is your opinion on how to approach this ie getting your nails done is pampering and how can you relax and enjoy it if your kids are running around? any advice? what do you guys feel bout this? I am hoping to set up properly very soon with the hope of having a homebased salon as well as going mobile. I am needing a polite and assertive way of saying to the clients that this isnt really appropriate.

This is such a tough situation. I've been in your shoes a million times over the years and 12 years later, I'm still uncomfortable about addressing it to my clients. I have a girlfriend who owns a hair salon and she goes through the same thing.

The worst case I had was a friend of mine would bring her 2 kids. 2 and 6 ! Being she is a friend, she probably ASSUMED that I wouldn't mind...meanwhile I had smoke coming out of my ears as soon as they'd walk in the door everytime! These kids have dumped a pot of hot coffee onto my carpet, taken all of the polish bottles off the rack and spread them all over my shop, their mom brought snacks for them to eat but they'd always end up crushed up on my floor and the mother never offered to clean anything up because "her nails were wet". They would leave, my shop was a mess and I'd have my next cleint waiting for me.

I was always so distracted and honestly, it put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I never came out and said anything but from the look on my face and from how I was acting...I'm sure my friend got the hint. I haven't seen her kids since and it makes for a much more enjoyable appointment.

I know this probably doesn't help but all I can tell you is to stand up for yourself and explain that with the harmful chemicals around you're afraid that someone will get hurt and it's hard to keep an eye on them plus do your work. Blaming it on the chemicals, etc. is alot easier to say than YOU'RE KIDS DRIVE ME CRAZY! LOL

Good Luck !

Latest posts

Back