Kiwi Geeks - Setting up Business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eni

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm in Wellington and have been going a bit bonkers trying to figure out WHAT it is I need to do in order to work as a mobile nail technician. For the life of me I cannot find any information on the chambers of commerce or business development websites about the requirements.

1. Am I correct in presuming I need to get liability business insurance? If so, do I just walk into AMI or equivalent with certification in hand? How much will that cost approximately?

2. How do you manage your cashbooks? I have MYOB (I hate it honestly LOL) and was figuring to start to use my templates in MS Excel that I have from the business I had in the US.

3. Do you do taxes provisionally or just file the IR3 at the end of the year?

Any assistance most appreciated. I am trying to get the biz side set up now so once I complete the certification I am ready to go.

Thanx! :eek:

Hey Chicky, Im in Whakatane bop.. I cant help you with any of the above.lol.. I do nails from a studio at home.. I just came in to wish you luck.. Hopefully someone else from NZ on here can help you..:lol::)

Hello All,

I'm in Wellington and have been going a bit bonkers trying to figure out WHAT it is I need to do in order to work as a mobile nail technician. For the life of me I cannot find any information on the chambers of commerce or business development websites about the requirements.

1. Am I correct in presuming I need to get liability business insurance? If so, do I just walk into AMI or equivalent with certification in hand? How much will that cost approximately?

2. How do you manage your cashbooks? I have MYOB (I hate it honestly LOL) and was figuring to start to use my templates in MS Excel that I have from the business I had in the US.

3. Do you do taxes provisionally or just file the IR3 at the end of the year?

Any assistance most appreciated. I am trying to get the biz side set up now so once I complete the certification I am ready to go.

Thanx! :eek:

1. Just ring your insurance company and ask for liabilty insurance, tell them you are a nail technician that will be mobile. Or go on Beauty NZ - The Association of Beauty Therapists of New Zealand Inc. and send them a pm asking about what sort of insurance they would recommend.

2. I use ms office to record it all and then send it through to my accountant. I would suggest getting an accountant.

3. This is where an accountant is really good. Sorry.

Thanx ladies! :). I've sent a message through to ABTNZ although I suspect they may tell me I have to join, which is fine I suppose.

As far as ringing the insurance company, we are renting (hence why I can't/won't work from home) and we have AMI which don't offer this coverage. I am guessing if ABTNZ can't help I'll have to ring State? Thoughts?

Thanx again
Nancy

Yeh basically if ABTNZ cant help you then go with State or even Sovereign oh hang on State and Sovereign are owned by same people :lol:
Also dont forget that you will have to pay ACC aswell and if you earn over $40,000. you will have to register for gst. This is where having an accountant comes in reallllly handy.

Latest posts

Back