L&P over Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann's Nails

Reaction score
Hi all. I am just bit confused and wondered if you could set me straight. I had a lady book for a full set of nails last week. When booking she asked if i did Gel, i do not and told her so, i told her the price for a full set of Acrylic P&W. When i got to her property she had gel nails on. I advised that they would have to be removed as i advised that i do not do Gel. She said that's fine but when told her there wuld be an additional charge for the removal she went a bit ape.:rolleyes: I said that if she had told me she had a gel application on i could have given her a true price. She then went into one again and said 'Your the professional'. I told her politely but firmly 'Yes i am but i am not a mind reader' and she should have told me about the gel. She then asked if i could just put some Acrylic over the Gel? I said tht it would not be possible:!:. She didn't want to pay for the soak off and redo and also would not compensate me for travelling costs. So i put it down to experience and left.
I have just been reading through a few bits on this wonderful site and am now confused:eek:.
Please could you answer the following?

1. Was i wrong? Can you put L&P over gel? ( i know you can put gel on top of L&P for like perm polish but?????)
2. How can you tell whether the gel used is soak off or buff off? (just incase it comes up again)

Thanks People:hug::hug:

1. Was i wrong? Can you put L&P over gel? ( i know you can put gel on top of L&P for like perm polish but?????)
Yes you can, providing it's a buff off gel and is in a good condition.

2. How can you tell whether the gel used is soak off or buff off? (just incase it comes up again)
Soak off gel tends to be 'rubbery' when filed, you can soak off one nail/hand using the tin foil and product remover method and go ahead and start buffing off the other nails, after 15 minutes you should be able to tell if the existing product is a buff off or soak off product.
hth's

Hi all. I am just bit confused and wondered if you could set me straight. I had a lady book for a full set of nails last week. When booking she asked if i did Gel, i do not and told her so, i told her the price for a full set of Acrylic P&W. When i got to her property she had gel nails on. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER TO ASK WHAT SHE HAD ON HER NAILS AT PRESENT - FOREWARNED IS FOREARMED - A GOOD IDEA FOR ALL FUTURE BOOKINGS?

I advised that they would have to be removed as i advised that i do not do Gel. She said that's fine but when told her there wuld be an additional charge for the removal she went a bit ape.:rolleyes: Even if it was necessary to 'remove' the gel (which in this instance it was not) you had already spent the time and money to get there and 'discuss' the situation, would another 30 minutes have really made that much difference? At least you would have earned SOMETHING or covered your costs.

I said that if she had told me she had a gel application on i could have given her a true price. She then went into one again and said 'Your the professional'. (She's right - see answer to first sentence) I told her politely but firmly 'Yes i am but i am not a mind reader' and she should have told me about the gel. I'm sorry, but if you spoke to one of our clients in the salon like that, even if she 'had gone off on one' you would no longer be in our employment.

She then asked if i could just put some Acrylic over the Gel? I said that it would not be possible:!:. Further traning would have given you the confidence to proceed and not only satisfy the client but also, having given 100% customer service, the client would then have gone on to tell her friends/family/neighbours, etc. what a wonderful nail tech she had found and recommended you to them all! Instead she will be giving youna really bad press.

She didn't want to pay for the soak off and redo and also would not compensate me for travelling costs. So i put it down to experience and left.
I have just been reading through a few bits on this wonderful site and am now confused:eek:.
Please could you answer the following?

Thanks People:hug::hug:

I hope this helps, Fx

Thank you Girls for your replies.

I certainly will be asking from now on!

I have never had this situation in the 2 years that i have been mobile.

You may think that i was out of order with what i said Fiona but this lady was extremely rude to me and just wanted me to put the Acrylic on the Gels, but i am not prepared to do something that i know nothing about.
I did Gel application at college when i did my training 3 years ago, but we only did 2 days on it and only 1 infill.
I do not believe i am qualified enough to do them, so i do not. I will continue to save to do a seperate Gel course hopefully with Creative.

In hindsite i probably should have buffed them off for no charge, but i will learn from my experiences and continuing training.

Thanks again
Ann x

I don't think you should have removed them at no cost . . . crikey, some gel sets I've seen have been THICK and would take nearer an hour to buff off . . . you have to charge for your time, imo.

I do agree about asking what is on their nails at present but having said that, I would happily infill with l&p over a gel nail anyway (well, a buff off gel nail, which tends to be pretty strong anyway). :hug:

And there is no excuse for her rudeness in any case.

Thanks Blossom, the Gels did look a bit thick and probably frightened me to the amount of time that may be needed to remove them! Am going to put some \gel on my training hand tomorrow and then put l&P over the top to see what it looks like.
I do not like doing things until i know how it works so tend to Ginuea Pig myself alot unless i can con my daughter into participating.

Thanks
Ann x

when doing a rebalance it is absolutely no problem to put powder and liquid over gel or vice versa
you have to file the nails down approximately 90% so there is almost no product left to work on
never had problems here regarding this topic
of course i can understand you were not happy about the lost time and income but indeed you need to think about the fact that bad reviews go around 7 times faster than a good one
and we all make mistakes.... the way we deal with them and learn from them makes the difference

when doing a rebalance it is absolutely no problem to put powder and liquid over gel or vice versa
you have to file the nails down approximately 90% so there is almost no product left to work on
never had problems here regarding this topic
You don't have to buff/remove 90% of the existing product, you can rebalance as normal providing the existing product is 'sound' and in a reasonable state of repair. The only problem you could get is a slight colour difference between the two products, nothing that a couple of coats of a light coloured enamel wouldn't put right though :wink2:

here all students learn to remove 90% off the product when learning a rebalance but that is when they are learning
i personally never file of that much.... i only file of what needs to be :green:

Latest posts

Back