LA Disco

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunSpray

Reaction score
Hi All

I know lots of you offer LA Disco and I'm looking for some advice.

Some of my clients are looking for a tan darker than Fake Bake. I'm not a huge fan of booster drops as they're quite costly when used regularly, so I bought a small bottle of LA DIsco to try.

First trial - client thought colour guide wasn't very dark so between us we agreed to a 2nd light mist over - disaster on ankles and hands. She ended up literally bleaching her feet and hands white again, and I did a light re-spray of the affected area the following day.

Second trial - one coat only, pulled away from feet and ankles and hands, just like I do with Fake Bake with perfect results, and this resulted in dark orange around the base of her feet, with speckly toes and speckly fingers. This tells me I pulled away too much, apart from the dark orange around the base of her feet.

I used barrier cream, as I always do, around the base of both girls' feet and a tiny bit rubbed in well between their toes.

This has completely flummoxed me because I'm an extremely confident spray tanner and am used to perfect results every time. At this moment there's no way I could go ahead and stock LA Disco as I just couldn't guarantee a great result.

What do you LA Discoers think? Dare I wonder if I'm, erm, getting what I'm paying for, or is it really down to a change in technique?

Thanks all
xx

I use Nouvatan but i also stock the LA Disco for clients that want a really dark brown tan.
The Disco has a completely different consistency than Nouvatan. It's a lot runnier, so i always turn my gun down when using the Disco.
I do find it doesn't fade as well as my regular solution and doesn't last as long either but it's great for clients who want a really dark tan just for the weekend.

Hi Sunspray

I go through bottles of the stuff, my clients love it and never had any problems when spraying with it and no signs of orange anywhere. My clients get a good 7 to 10 days out of the LA Tanning solutions, some get two weeks out of it.

Going to trial the Tandare 18% to see how this compares.

Jackie x

Hi Sunspray

I go through bottles of the stuff, my clients love it and never had any problems when spraying with it and no signs of orange anywhere. My clients get a good 7 to 10 days out of the LA Tanning solutions, some get two weeks out of it.

Going to trial the Tandare 18% to see how this compares.

Jackie x

Hi Jackie, well it must be me then!

I'm just so surprised by this disappointing outcome as I get such fab results with the other solutions I use.

I'll try once more with LA Disco this week and if I'm still getting horrid results on ankles and hands, well that'll be it. There's no way I'm offering any tan where I can't more-or-less guarantee great, orange-free results.

Thanks everyone
xx

Hi Sunspray

I totally agree with you, I would be exactly the same and would not compromise my good name in anyway.

Shame it's been like this for you though as the results have always been really good for me. I can't understand it either as you obviously know you're stuff when it comes to spraying. Really can't understand where the orange is coming from!!

Jackie x

Hi All

Some of my clients are looking for a tan darker than Fake Bake. I'm not a huge fan of booster drops as they're quite costly when used regularly, so I bought a small bottle of LA DIsco to try.

First trial - client thought colour guide wasn't very dark so between us we agreed to a 2nd light mist over - disaster on ankles and hands. She ended up literally bleaching her feet and hands white again, and I did a light re-spray of the affected area the following day.

Second trial - one coat only, pulled away from feet and ankles and hands, just like I do with Fake Bake with perfect results, and this resulted in dark orange around the base of her feet, with speckly toes and speckly fingers. This tells me I pulled away too much, apart from the dark orange around the base of her feet.

I used barrier cream, as I always do, around the base of both girls' feet and a tiny bit rubbed in well between their toes.

This has completely flummoxed me because I'm an extremely confident spray tanner and am used to perfect results every time. At this moment there's no way I could go ahead and stock LA Disco as I just couldn't guarantee a great result.

What do you LA Discoers think? Dare I wonder if I'm, erm, getting what I'm paying for, or is it really down to a change in technique?

Thanks all
xx

It is funny as I was in the same boat as you, I had clients who were dancers and wanted a darker tan. I stock a few solutions, Tantrick and Naturasun. Usually I would use the Dark and Envious mixed with a little After Dark (Natrasun), but it still needed to be darker and last a little longer. I considered LA Disco but was shocked at the price( I couldn't warrant stocking it as I don't charge an excessive amount for my tans) . I made a few enquiries and found that there was a solution on the market called TanDare 18% that was an awful lot cheaper and still within my price range. What I do is mix half and half with another solution and it gives great results. Maybe consider doing that with the LA disco.

Dawn

I didnt have good results with the LA Disco either and my friend finds that she is darker with the Sienna X 16%. :)

but. i do kids dance tans and use the16% nouvatan its like they have been to maui for a month and fades very well, not orange.. i think they do a sample of the 16% xx good luck ... i used a different 18 % solution once and my client got itchy boil like spots !! not good so i do use booster drops if i need to.. x

Hi All

Thanks all
xx

hi there, you could try tantrick's 18% i did my lass and she came out a really nice dark brown i have not seen LA Disco so cant compare but the tantrick is very dark.

hth
Alan

I considered LA Disco but was shocked at the price( I couldn't warrant stocking it as I don't charge an excessive amount for my tans) . I made a few enquiries and found that there was a solution on the market called TanDare 18% that was an awful lot cheaper and still within my price range. What I do is mix half and half with another solution and it gives great results. Maybe consider doing that with the LA disco.

Dawn
Were you looking at the right site?? LA Disco is always on a 'buy one get one for free'. It's actually 15 pounds a bottle cheaper than the tandare 18% so i think you may have read it wrong.
Tantrick is one of the more expensive solutions although their Tandare is the same solution without the 'bells and whistles', so i was told, so it's a cheaper option.
I use Nouvatan and a couple of weeks ago i sprayed a couple of my regulars with 16% as they like a dark a tan as possible. They came back in the next week and wanted the 14% as they said the 16% was too dark! Can't please some people eh!! The 16% is very popular though :D

If I do stock LA Disco it would certainly be the cheapest brand I use by far with the pretty much permanent BOGOF offer (hence my earlier question about whether I'm getting what I pay for, sorry LA Tanning and your fans).

I'm going to try it on one more person this week and will decide then. The first client who I sprayed last week has reported today much snakeskin and poor fading.........

Might give Nouvatan a call next...

Thanks
xx

This is why i usually advertise it as a 'weekend' tan.
It doesn't fade well at all and goes quite patchy.
My clients know this before i spray them. I always tell them that it doesn't fade as well as my regular solution.
Clients that have used it, all agree that it doesn't fade well but if they want a dark brown tan just for the weekend then it's ok for that.

But do you charge a "weekend only" rate Angelina? Not sure I'd want to get into reducing prices because it fades badly. In fact I'm going off it by the day ...!

But do you charge a "weekend only" rate Angelina? Not sure I'd want to get into reducing prices because it fades badly. In fact I'm going off it by the day ...!

Not commenting on any specific brand here but I do tend to agree here,
I really dont see the point or logic of offering a "reduced" rate for a specific product being used simply because it doesn't do the job properly.

It is far to easy to reduce prices which can be a downward spiral.
Surely it is far better to use a premium product,charge premium rates and work less hard for more.

There really is little point in working your socks of for little return :hug:

I don't actually advertise my tans at all. When i say i advertise it as a weekend tan, i mean this is what i tell clients that ask about it.
I charge the same price for Nouvatan and LA Tan.
I only stock the 18% in LA Tan and i only stock it because it is an 18% and is a brown colour rather than a natural colour.
I've used it for someone who went to a fancy dress as scary spice but she only wanted it for the weekend anyone as she was at work on the Monday, so for her it was perfect.
A lot of people want a really dark tan for a weekend event but don't want it still on come Monday when they are back at work so it's perfect for them.
You only have to look at my website to see that i offer top quality products. I give the clients the choice. Most clients are very happy with Nouvatan 16% but some clients wanted a more dark brown tan so i stocked it to cater for them. I'm nice like that :D

I must be strange or something, my 18 lasts me a good five days and i have several regular ladies who have it and it lasts them five to seven days too........... wierd, it must be something in the welsh water! lol

tigi
xxx

Latest posts

Back