Lamps

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatieLouise86

Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently in training and have a 36 WATT UV Lamp for my Gel Nails. I've also decided to train in Gel Polish and understand the LED lamp is a lot quicker than the UV lamp.
I am training with IBD Just Gel but think in time I will move on to either gelish or shellac. What is the best LED lamp to get? There's loads on the internet and I really don't know which one will be best for a beginner??

Many thanks in advance

Katie

Not meaning to sound harsh as I'm aware you're new but if you go to the search bar and type in lamps you will find more than enough info :)
Lamps have been an already hugely discussed topic so I feel searching would be better than asking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

No one really likes to help anyone here do they?
Whats the point in forums and being able to post if people are constantly going to tell others to use the search bar, thats all I seem to see writing on here.........

You will need to get the lamp that goes with the system to get best results and to be fully covered by your insurance company.

Shellac only cures in the CND uv lamp and not led
Gelish is by harmony and they have a few lamps in different price ranges.

There are loads of thread on this and a pinned uv lamp thread explaining dos and don'ts and why lamps are so important and why you need specific ones to specific gels etc. it's a very good and important read.

You will need to get the lamp that goes with the system to get best results and to be fully covered by your insurance company.

Shellac only cures in the CND uv lamp and not led
Gelish is by harmony and they have a few lamps in different price ranges.

There are loads of thread on this and a pinned uv lamp thread explaining dos and don'ts and why lamps are so important and why you need specific ones to specific gels etc. it's a very good and important read.

Thanks for your help x

No one really likes to help anyone here do they?
Whats the point in forums and being able to post if people are constantly going to tell others to use the search bar, thats all I seem to see writing on here.........

I'm sorry but that comment was really uncalled for as the poster is helping you!
If you had just popped UV LAMP into the search facility before spending the time to write a new thread you would of got thousands of threads with all the information you would ever need about lamps.

Geeks love to help and do, but when someone comes on and post a question that has been asked a million times it can get very frustrating.
And if you have seen the comment about searching loads of times then maybe you should have taken that advice?

As Maz101 has said it's important that you go with the UV, LED Lamp that the manufacturer of the brand you decide to use recommends. This will insure that you are using the product correctly and giving your clients the proper and safe service treatment.
Many insurance companies now are very strict about insisting you use all the correct parts of your system so that's something to also be aware of.
:)

I'm sorry but that comment was really uncalled for as the poster is helping you!
If you had just popped UV LAMP into the search facility before spending the time to write a new thread you would of got thousands of threads with all the information you would ever need about lamps.

Geeks love to help and do, but when someone comes on and post a question that has been asked a million times it can get very frustrating.
And if you have seen the comment about searching loads of times then maybe you should have taken that advice?

As Maz101 has said it's important that you go with the UV, LED Lamp that the manufacturer of the brand you decide to use recommends. This will insure that you are using the product correctly and giving your clients the proper and safe service treatment.
Many insurance companies now are very strict about insisting you use all the correct parts of your system so that's something to also be aware of.
:)

but to be fair the poster didnt actually give me any advice like the 2nd poster did. And I've used the search many times but never find the answer im looking for so sometimes its easier to write a post so you can actually discuss with people who like to help others

but to be fair the poster didnt actually give me any advice like the 2nd poster did. And I've used the search many times but never find the answer im looking for so sometimes its easier to write a post so you can actually discuss with people who like to help others

Sorry but advising someone to search for a thread is helping.
I understand that looking through threads can take time but in this occasion if you had done a search there is a 'sticky' post which will give you a wealth of knowledge about UV Lamps that you need.
Also many others with great information :)

Here is the link to it I would highly recommend you take time to read it :hug:
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/172609-uv-product-summary.html

Also another tip, if you use the search function on this site and don't find what your looking for I search from google instead, just type in the key words to your question and add salon geek on the end, this helps to target what your looking for a little easier.

The geeks on here are very helpful, but grab a cuppa and learn how to use the site :)

Hi all, I am currently in training and have a 36 WATT UV Lamp for my Gel Nails. I've also decided to train in Gel Polish and understand the LED lamp is a lot quicker than the UV lamp.
I am training with IBD Just Gel but think in time I will move on to either gelish or shellac. What is the best LED lamp to get? There's loads on the internet and I really don't know which one will be best for a beginner??

Many thanks in advance

Katie

If you go with shellac you will need to have the cnd lamp. The cnd lamp is fab and is also able to cure some other gels (I use NSI hard gel) and I believe you can use it for Gelish too amongst others. The most important thing is to verify with your chosen brand which lamp you need.

I am thinking of using OPI polish and Gelish Gels, however May use some OPI gels too. Will that really matter if I buy a Gelish LED lamp? Just want to give my clients choice

OPI specify that you use either their LED lamp or the UV Axxium lamp which unfortunately is only 18W

Gelish specify that you use either their LED lamps or any 36W UV lamp.

so there is no permitted overlap between those two systems and you would need two lamps,
one for each system, in order to use them both.

I assume you have already read the sticky link about why you must use the manufacturer specified lamp for your system, as posted above, seeing as you found this thread!

I'm using a CCFL x LED hybrid curing lamp, and it works great! But it can't cure some of Lechat's gel colour, unless it stated LED cured. Accidentally dropped this lamp in the water before, I dried it, and the third day I was using it again until now, no problem at all. LED lamp can cure most of the gel colour and last much much more longer.

I'm using a CCFL x LED hybrid curing lamp, and it works great! But it can't cure some of Lechat's gel colour, unless it stated LED cured. Accidentally dropped this lamp in the water before, I dried it, and the third day I was using it again until now, no problem at all. LED lamp can cure most of the gel colour and last much much more longer.

Yikes, I really would not continue to use a lamp that has been immersed in water!!

I'm only a mobile therapist though is it still that strict with insurance?

In a word, yes!

why would mobile therapists insurance be any less strict??

If you've read the above links and understand about the implications of leaving gels uncured then the insurance is really just a side matter. do you want to potentially have problems with nails not lasting or have to deal with the embarrassment of finding that certain colours wipe away? Do you want to risk your clients developing allergies and being unable to have any gel product services?

You are in the business to look after your clients nails. They trust you to provide safe and professional services. There really isn't an option to 'wing it' and hope for the best. Both the brands you are thinking of using have good colour ranges so my advice is pick one and stick with it. At a later stage if you really need to add another alongside buy that necessary lamp at that time.

Or if you are insistant upon using two different products, pick two which are compatible with the same lamp e.g. Gelish + CND Shellac with a CND lamp.

People can ask what they want as they may want to discuss the topic , any one who finds it frustrating that they want to discuss a topic that has been posted before should just move on

Don't see anyone disagreeing with this statement, however as stated in the original response, where a topic has been well covered it is a fact and helpful to point out that there is information already and instantly available. No-one has told anyone not to post... just pointed out where they can find information immediately - rather than waiting for replies. I can never understand why, when people take the time to do this, they are accused of being rude or unhelpful!?!

Generally across the internet on many forums standard etiquette is to not start a new thread on a topic where a thread already exists, but instead to do a search and reply on the most relevent thread if there is one. That isn't actually a rule here but it does help to maintain a tidy uncluttered forum so is in everyone's benefit and again, I don't see why it is rude to suggest it.

I don't know why peeps come on here just to attack how other's choose to help or make sarcky comments when they don't like the form of help they are given. They are the rude ones IMO.

The information you have given has been helpful. I only have a diploma not an NVQ and they are not as well taught so this information about compatible lamps is all new to me and has helped me a lot.
In regards to the way you reply, I suppose it's like texts it can sound wrong reading it.
But thank you to everyone who has replied and been helpful.

I never said it was rude but its not against the law to start a new thread

Latest posts

Back