Landlord responsibility?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobile-hands

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has gone through the same and what you did!

I rent a shop and there is a residential flat above which has just become vacant. I have spoken with the landlord who is happy for me to take it over but said I need to pay for everything! This includes planning permission and building regs which I'm concerned about paying out for if I don't get the permission to change the usage.

I'm ok with paying for all the other work (£12k) to have a staircase put in and all the electrical, plumbing and plastering work, but I think the Landlord should pay the planning permission etc, after all he'll also be benefiting in the long run from the work we will be doing as the flat as it's awful and I can't image anyone would wanting to take it on in the state its in, residential or commercial.

Thanks
MH

I guess he's thinking that he'll rent it out again with no problem so why should he fork out for planning permission that may not be granted.

Just a thought but that's a lot of money for you to pay out too so have you thought about looking for a bigger salon or commercial premises locally?

Dont do it.
It sounds like way to much hassle. After you spend 12k how are you making it back? How long will it take? Does your area have the extra clients? Do they want to go to a huge salon like that? Will you need extra staff? Will they need training? How much will that cost?

Just a few questions off the top of my head.

Some great points raised! (And I will be taking these on board as I hadn't considered a few of them!!)
Just to answer a few of the questions!
We are turning away clients as we just can't fit them in (due to lack of treatment room space) and we have been for the last 6 months...I'm not worried about having a larger salon and as mentioned I already have the staff to accommodate just need more space.
The 12k is for everything that's needed to get us up and running and looking great.
(Building work/ materials etc is actually around £7k)

I was thinking of negotiating a staggered rent over 3 years so that we are not losing out!

Thanks for your comments so far. X

Last edited:
If you think the extra rent (presumably he's going to ask for increased rent?) plus the cost of the building work can be covered by the extra income from the upstairs space then go for it! I would want to make sure there were quite a few years left on my tenancy before paying for extensive building work like that though... I would also try to avoid having to pay his legal costs - they could add up quickly. (If I were you I would put the planning application in and spend nothing else until it's approved - that's only an investment of a couple of hundred £)
Good luck!

Why don't you ask the council if you are likely to get change of use? that way you can find out if it's worth going further. You may be able to get change of use before going the whole hog of drawing up detailed plans/ getting building quotes.

I can see the landlords point...why should he pay for all that stuff when he could just rent the flat out separately?

If the numbers add up, just make sure you do your legal home work and aren't in a position in 3 years time when the landlord can ask you to leave!

its all about the maths.

If your maths equates to larger profits which will cover the outlays, and it's worth all the agro, then go for it.

The landlord has properly done his maths and it doesn't equate to more profits.

Would it not be easier to just move to bigger premises?

Certainly speak to the council first, a simply question like can I do it, could get a straight no, then that puts paid to the proposal

Latest posts

Back