Laser eye surgery?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had it done 2 1/2 years ago with Optimax. Best thing i ever did, wish i had done it years before. I seem to have had the same experience as Extensionize, felt like eye was being pulled out and had zillions of pieces of sand under eyelid. By next day was ok though. I also was too squeamish to do contact lenses, in fact i had to practise doing eye drops for a month before as i was rubbish at even doing them.

I have an appt booked for next month. My eyes are -4.75 & -5 so I think I really do need this doing. I'm just worried about the price :( xx

Leely my eyes are the same as yours so will be interested to know what price they quote you. My husband had it done (lasik I think) in 2007 and its the best thing he did. My eyes keep changing though so gotta wait for them to settle.

Sent from Sarah ;-)

I had it done 3 years ago. My eyes were one short sighted with astigmatism and one long sighted with astigmatism!! Best thing I did however cost me £3500 due to the differences in my eyes and also I can feel my sight beginning to deteriorate again - this may be just a touch of lazy eye?' I'm too scared to go to opticians incase they tell me I have to go back to glasses!!!

I had it done 3 years ago. My eyes were one short sighted with astigmatism and one long sighted with astigmatism!! Best thing I did however cost me £3500 due to the differences in my eyes and also I can feel my sight beginning to deteriorate again - this may be just a touch of lazy eye?' I'm too scared to go to opticians incase they tell me I have to go back to glasses!!!

So you had belnded vision? Do you have one eye for distance & one for close up? How long did it take you to adjust to it? I have heard it can take a while.
I am wearing blended contacts at the moment on a trial & they are taking some getting used to.

I managed to get mine for £395 per eye, then made it even cheaper by using my Tesco clubcard vouchers towards it. Think it cost me about £500 in the end:lol:

So you had belnded vision? Do you have one eye for distance & one for close up? How long did it take you to adjust to it? I have heard it can take a while.
I am wearing blended contacts at the moment on a trial & they are taking some getting used to.

Yes that's it - they do contacts for it now? Wow I used to have to buy 2 different sets.
As soon as it was done I could see - it was like a miracle no adjustment time needed :)

I had my appt yesterday to see if I can have the surgery, Appt went very well and I'm booked in for surgery on 5th April :)

They put 2 different lots of eye drops in. One that slightly made my eyes sting then the 2nd which numbed my eyes (felt amazing as I had very tired eyes hehe) then I had to have dye added to my eyes. So by end of appt I had yellow eyes :(

Looking forward to having appt and being able to see first thing in the morning :) xx

Leely my eyes are the same as yours so will be interested to know what price they quote you. My husband had it done (lasik I think) in 2007 and its the best thing he did. My eyes keep changing though so gotta wait for them to settle.

Sent from Sarah ;-)

Hey hun, the contacts I am wearing are no where near what I needed. I am currently wearing -4.75 & -5 and I need -6 & -6.50. So I was shocked by that, the price they quoted me was £2200. For both eyes. We did managed to get discount,
Had a few tips up our sleeves after watching a programme on channel 4 on Friday hehe. xx

Would love to get this done, but too scared it will go wrong and i'd end up blind :eek:

Hi Geeks
Well i went ahead and had laser eye surgery on the 14th feb, so almost 2 weeks ago now. It wasn't painful, i wouldn't even say it was uncomfortable... just a bit weird really. The way i would describe the 'suction' feeling is; u know when ur little n u wear swimming goggles and stick them to ur face n then pull them off? It's no worse than that lol. And when they create the flap with the laser u don't even know they're doing it. When the surgeon flips up the flap he just eases it up, all u can see is like someone moving a contact lense around on ur eye.
Anyway, my vision was really bad before the surgery, (approx -6.75) it's now great but not perfect. It's still a little blurry, for the first week it was worse but i have now been given different eye drops as i'm suffering from bad dry eye. My eyes don't feel dry, it just affects my eyesight. The optician doesn't know how long this will last, it could be a month, or months....but the new eye drops enable me to drive now. I can't really read this text properly, it's like i have water in my eye...i have my first client tomorrow since having the surgery, so i'll see how i get on with that!

I had my surgery yesterday :)

All went well, I would recommend this to anyone. My eyes before where -6.00 & -6.50, I don't have full 20/20 vision yet it's still a bit blurry. I have my 1day check up today.
I can tell my eyesight has improved.
Like bluebell said it does not hurt just feels weird, to me it felt like someone either pressing your eyeball or suction. You really don't feel anything and its all over in 10 mins x

Brilliant, glad everything went well!!! I will defo be getting it done at some point in the future. I also thought it would have been more than £2000 so I'm impressed with that. I'm so sick of wearing glasses, so I overwear my contacts and my eyes are constantly dry. Would love to not have to wear them. One day :)

Brilliant, glad everything went well!!! I will defo be getting it done at some point in the future. I also thought it would have been more than £2000 so I'm impressed with that. I'm so sick of wearing glasses, so I overwear my contacts and my eyes are constantly dry. Would love to not have to wear them. One day :)

I did the same, my eyes where really dry too. I had to wear my glasses 2 weeks before surgery date to see if dryness cleared up. Which it did, but I had to put drops and gel in my eyes 4 times a day and then gel at night.

Had my check up and have to go back on Tuesday as the flap they cut in my right eye has wrinkles in it, it should smooth its self out by then. My vision is nearly back to normal now :) xx

For anyone looking for more opinions in future. I had laser by Optimax in Finchley Road about 5 years ago and it was the best £2600 i have ever spent!

I was short sighted with -5 and -4.5. You have to wear your glasses for about a week before the appointment.

If you don't know anyone who can recommend you, look up your chosen company on eBay and get a voucher. They usually cost a couple of pounds and can save you upto £400 off your treatment.

I had the machine do everything as i have a scar on the surface of one of my eyes - the result of an allergic reaction to a certain contact lens solution.

I was the first appointment. They put a couple of numbing drops in each eye and you go in your own clothes, but with a hair net.

I laid down at the first machine and they covered one eye, while putting a clamp on the other, which sounds awful but i didn't feel a thing and it still felt as though i could blink although i wasn't. Everything looked black except for a red dot which they asked me to focus on. They did say that it had a tracker so if i looked away for a second, it wouldn't cause a problem. After 30 seconds they did the other eye.

Then they walked me to the second machine where the doctor was. They put another clamp type thing on my eye and this time the dot was green. They warned me that there would be a smell like burning hair and counted to 20, then did the other eye.

The doctor wiped my eyes and then helped me up. Distance-wise, my vision was perfect immediately. However it was quite cloudy, like wearing dirty glasses.

I put my sunglasses on, met my Mum and had a quick check with the optician who also gave me my drops and aftercare and then we headed home. I was given some painkillers in case it started to hurt, so i took one just in case, haha.

The only discomfort i felt the entire time was that the sun on the way home seemed increasingly blinding, so i pretty much kept my eyes closed.

They said to sleep for a bit and had provided sleeping pills, so i took one as my appointment had been at about 9am and i was out before i even finished undressing, lol. Mum tucked me in and i was away with the fairies.

I woke up at about 3 and was amazed by the complete clarity of my vision! I was only awake about 30 minutes before the pill knocked me back out, but when i woke later i was still completely amazed.

I have to say that the company i went with were really friendly and helpful and their aftercare was fantastic. I've never had a problem. Also, my Mum saw how wonderful it was for me and asked about it and they explained that it wasn't suitable for her, which i think is very reputable rather thank taking her money and winging it.

I hope this helps someone looking to make a decision xx

I had mine done in 1998 and they have been great and I would get it done again as er I now have to wear glasses altough only just, they are not bad! My eyesight was about 20/20 for like 10 years then it started to fail again, so be prepared. It is a wonderful procedure though.

I'm having this done next month or so I'm scared ;( but anyway 2 of my friends had it and they said doesn't hurt at all and it's quick and amazing they can see so good now and I hate wearing anything so I need it done just bit scared its under 2000 where I live. Xx

Thanks for all your replies, advice an experiences, I am finally having a consultation on Thursday!! So excited :) I've gone for optimax btw :)

Hello peeps! I'm having a consultation on Thursday as well :) very excited!

Do you know if when I have astigmatism I can have it done?

I would be heartbroken if they said no :(

Hi everyone, today I booked myself in for laser eye surgery! thought i'd see if you geeks had anything to say about it and found this thread! You guys have totally freaked me out lol!! Eye sucked out?!! what?! lol ah well i guess i'll find out in a couple of weeks. i figure if i can go thru childbirth twice i can do this!
I've booked with Optical Express btw and I got the cost down to £1913, which i think is a pretty fair price to pay to get my eyesight back!
Dreading it but also very excited :) aparently it only takes 15minutes (although i'm well aware it will probably be the longest 15minutes of my life lol)
I'll let you know how i get on if i remember!

Hi Hun, which option did you go for?

Latest posts

Back