Lash and brow tinting law change on peroxide?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're misunderstanding, permanent will never go away (you can buy it in boots after all) but there's nothing available for those who are allergic to it. And allergic reactions are increasing all the time. You can try this yourself, just use your normal tint without the peroxide on very light hairs. It takes a little of the colour but not much, and washes out over a few days.

Oh I see! That's really interesting. So it's generally the peroxide people are allergic to. I just meant if there is an alternative that lasts just as long then why use something people can have reactions to and maybe in the distant future peroxide permanent might be replaced

No you're still not grasping this, there is NO alternative to using peroxide based tints. NOTHING lasts as long because it opens up the cuticle to allow the pigment to penetrate deeper. That's why some people are allergic to it. Alternatives with no peroxide don't last as long. People who can't have permanent tints can have the no peroxide ones but they won't last as long. It's a growing market.

No you're still not grasping this, there is NO alternative to using peroxide based tints. NOTHING lasts as long because it opens up the cuticle to allow the pigment to penetrate deeper. That's why some people are allergic to it. Alternatives with no peroxide don't last as long. People who can't have permanent tints can have the no peroxide ones but they won't last as long. It's a growing market.

I am not sure that this is correct. An alkaline is used to open the cuticle such as ammonia in permanent hair colour - in semi permanents etc less harsh compounds are used such as sodium carbonate. The hydrogen peroxide de-pigments the hair and helps bond the colour molecules. Depending on the results/hair type etc different concentrations are used. The new Refectocil tints use silver nitrate which in mild solutions can be used safely around the eyes. As we tend to darken eyelashes/brows rather than lighten them it should not cause much difference with the exception of being safer than the use of hydrogen peroxide.

I know, I didn't say the peroxide opened the cuticles, I was trying to explain to Pinkbunny that ones that don't use peroxide are not going to replace ones that do :eek:

I guess we need to see how long these new ones last to see if they're worth it. Especially if they don't make a blue/black one

If you are using non peroxide based colours to darken, cover grey or just brighten existing colour then the new tints should last just as well. There are permanent hair colours that do not use peroxide! - however they will not lighten the hair. As for the EU laws - I suspect it may come as product development sometimes occurs due to what is in the pipeline. Silver nitrate is acceptable to be used near the eyes by the EU however the peroxide solution used currently is below that used in hair dyes and ongoing usage may be allowed. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Silver nitrate is well old, there used to be products for men to cover their grey using it. I'm guessing eyelashes fall out before the colour fades but it's not as permanent as normal tints. So I can see why it is used as an alternative but it can provoke allergies too whatever the amount.

Latest posts

Back