Lash extension hell

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaLou1989

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I trained in classic lash extensions several weeks back and I have been practicing on a mannequin head ever since (1 hour per evening 4-5 times a week).
I'm just not getting it, I've watched tutorials and read tips but I'm still not getting it. I'm not proud of it but I threw Patricia (mannequin head) at the wall tonight because I completely lost my patience. (Please note that I have no intention of doing to this real clients) ha!
Is there anything anyone can suggest to help me?
The problems I'm facing is too much or too little glue, lash not laying straight on top of the other or pointing in the other direction completely, and when I change to the left eye I struggle placing lashes much more than on the right! The lashes are also sticking to the mannequin head.
I feel at a loss and wonder if I'm ever going to get it
I trained with thicker lashes and this helped a little but my practice ones are really fine. I don't know if this makes a difference in real life.
Anyway enough waffling from me, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi
Ah I feel your pain! We’ve all been there and it can be frustrating but you will get there with practice. When you trained did you get to work on a real person too and does your trainer offer support as maybe you can ask her to make a video on the areas your struggling with?
If you are picking up too much glue then maybe you are dipping the lash too quickly into the glue blob. So the easiest way if you do this is to slowly dip the lash into the glue blob on your jade stone and slowly pull it out and you will see a difference in the amount you are picking up. You only need to dip the lash base into the glue and you should have a nice coating at the base.
Direction - when you place the extension you need to hold it in place with your tweezers for a few seconds and the lash should be sitting on top of the natural lash pointing upwards. If you move away and it falls to the side then you just need to nudge it back up to the correct position and hold it for a bit longer until it sets. Also when you place the lash aim to place it close to the lash line but leaving about 0.5mm gap. When you first start lashing you will be using a slower setting adhesive and this is to give you time to place the lash and adjust if necessary. The left eye always is more tricky if you are right handed ( I’m assuming ) because you have to bring your hand across the bridge of the nose. So it’s all about getting your hand into the correct position. Don’t be frightened to balance your hand on the models head as this helps to stabilise your hand and helps with placement.
Also training lashes are plastic and lashes do sometimes slide around so it can be frustrating. Hope that’s helped a little x

That does help thank you.
I went back to my tutor today and she let me have another practice and I did it straight away but the difference is they use thicker lashes whereas the ones I have are super thin! I also find it much easier to just straight tweezers in both hands rather than a curved. It really helps with positioning. Also the fast setting glue made it easier. I'm going to keep going if it kills me I'm determined to master it.

Practice practice practice. I was the same when I first started and it took me about a month and a half before I was totally happy with my lash sets. I would say to practice on a human eye, I found it easier on the human eye than a mannequin. It’s trial and error, Im on my 3rd type of glue before I found one I liked working with. (The first 2 weren’t drying quick enough and I was getting a some sticking). Perseverance is key, don’t give up even if you feel like you want to, you will get there. Hope this helps xx

It can be very frustrating when you first start out and it is normal that you feel you want to throw the tweezers or head against the wall at times. Dont give up though, it will all click into place and my suggestion would be to go back to your trainer for some additional time or try a refresher with someone else. Everyone has got a different teaching method and it might help you get a good start and then its just practice but try and keep enjoying it rather than forcing it as that can be counterproductive x

If you feel better using straight tweezers then use them, there really is no right or wrong (unless your causing damage to the natural lash)
0.15 are a good thickness to use when your first start and c curl are a good curl while you build up your confidence.
Try adjusting your position and angles you are applying at and also try and loosen up your wrists, a lot of my students are so tense at the start it doesn’t help with the application.

The best way to Practice is on real people even if it’s your partner, you can always remove the lashes.

Keep going it will be worth it

Latest posts

Back