Lash glue smoking!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna_B

Reaction score
Oh my god the craziest thing has just happened. I was about to do a patch test on my client and do what I normally do by putting Lashes by Francesca #1 glue on a cotton bud and dab some behind the clients ear. Too much came out and after a moment the glue on the cotton bud started SMOKING and giving off a foul smell. The glue has just expired as I'm waiting for new glue to arrive. Can anyone shed any light on this? It's only couple of weeks out of date. Was the glue reacting to something in the cotton? Perhaps if the cotton is treated with something?! I'm really shocked and scared. In the 4 years I've been lashing I've never seen this.

xxx

It may be when it got in contact with the cotton bud, ive know nail glue to do it before

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Cyanoacrylate plus cotton creates an exothermic chemical reaction , you could actually start a fire or cause a burn to your client . Why are you carrying out patch testing this way ? Is that how you have been trained ? For patch testing lashes i apply a few lashes .

Wow scary I would ring the company if I was you! I always patch test this way this is the way that the insurance company will cover me for if I do it like that and also the weather trainers have taught me. I think it's stupid because the lash glue shouldn't even touch your skin anyway when it's on the lashes but for all legal reasons that is how I do it.

I have always patch tested in this way. But if a client has sensitive eyes I will do a lash test and put a couple of lashes on one eye. I may do this instead of skin patch testing - it does make more sense. Thanks for responding! X

Who on earth told you to patch test that way!!!!!!!?
Good lord.
Lash adhesive + cotton or other natural fibres (and skin) = NO.
Patch test by applying lashes. You can only safely touch DRY adhesive to skin. Xx

Lash glue isnt mean to come in contact with skin...patch tests are lashes in the eyes. who did you train with to patch test like that?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Cyanoacrylate plus cotton creates an exothermic chemical reaction , you could actually start a fire or cause a burn to your client . Why are you carrying out patch testing this way ? Is that how you have been trained ? For patch testing lashes i apply a few lashes .
This is actually false. yes cyanoacrylate and cotton cause a chemical reaction, but can it start a fire? NO! just because we see "smoke" or fumes being released does not mean its a fire. chemical reaction, correct. a flame will not start from adhesive on cotton. I think most people confuse FLAMMABLE as it will start a fire on it own. it would take an open flame or adhesive near a fire for it to cause a fire. Also, may I add that yes if you touch the cotton or get glue on your shirt or pants and you feel heat, its also a chemical reaction but you will not catch on fire, you will not start a fire. Cyanoacrylate on cotton is a good science experiment, you will see fumes, you will see the chemical reaction but it will cure (get hard) within seconds.

Latest posts

Back