Last minute cancellations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry0875

Reaction score
I've just started a new business beginning of June and I'm amazed how many people think it is ok to cancel the day or night before! I have picked up a few customers through my facebook page and today two of my clients for tomorrow have messaged me on fb to say they are sorry something as come up blah, blah...I have got it written on my treatment list about charging a 50% cancellation fee if 24 hours notice is not given...but how can I enforce that through facebook or a potential new client as I'm sure they would never re-book! Sorry guy's just so frustrating!

To be honest its difficult to enforce, but you should just refuse to take any further bookings until they pay the cancellation fee. They might pay the fee and re-book, or they might just choose not to re-book, leaving your appointment book free for customers who dont mess you around! Either way the cancellation fee has benefitted you.

Did the customers say why they have cancelled? Is it a genuine reason or are they just giving you the run around? I always enforce my cancellations policy for time wasters or repeat offenders, but if its a genuine reason I dont charge them because I'd rather keep their repeat business than get a £15 cancellation fee but then never see them again.

I agree, it is extremely irritating when cancellations are so late that you can't rebook the time and let someone else enjoy the appointment. I used to have on my leaflet that there would be a cancellation fee if less than 24 hours notice of cancellation was given, however it is very difficult to actually take a payment (very few clients will hand you cash next time in apology and as payment). Now I have put something like 'If you cannot keep this appointment please let me know as soon as possible so that the time can be offered to somebody else to enjoy". I think this makes them realise that I'd like to know sooner rather than later if they're not coming and not only from a selfish point of view.

I will be interested to see what everyone else advises.

it is hard to enforce...but if they rebook, charge them the cancellation fee ontop of their service fee....which hopefully will remind them to keep their appointment in future.

This happens unfortunately. I have had clients cancel 2 hours before an appointment. It is annoying, as you would have time to book someone else in. But that is normal for this line of business I am afraid!

I've been in the industry for 18 years and it happens I know! I guess now I'm working for myself and not getting paid a wage it frustrates me more lol I like the idea of saying 'please let me know asap so I have time to offer the appointment to someone else' as it hopefully would make a few peeps think before cancelling because something elseas come along...I realise some are genuine though. Tough isnt it, I still have my rent to pay!!

It's so annoying when it happens but enforcing a cancellation fee unfortunately doesn't stop this from happening especially if you have a leniency towards what can be taken as an acceptable excuse to cancel, I know a few salons that have this rule and it does limit the amount of last minute cancellations but some people wouldn't go back because they had to pay the fee it's a shame to lose their business but as someone has already said it leaves appointments open for those that don't mess you around. I've had someone cancel as i pulled up to their house before a mobile appointment once before!

I can honestly say that since Ive starting texting my clients a reminder the day before I've not had one no show. Yes I've had people text me back and say they can't make it , its not too often but at least I know and I'm not sitting there waiting. Been doing this for over a year now and its definately paying off.

H xx

I can honestly say that since Ive starting texting my clients a reminder the day before I've not had one no show. Yes I've had people text me back and say they can't make it , its not too often but at least I know and I'm not sitting there waiting. Been doing this for over a year now and its definately paying off.

H xx

I do this too and it's definitely a great thing to do as some people do forget that they've booked!

I'v had people just not show before or cancel right before. Now I can kinda tell who is gonna be like that though. So if I got a funny feeling I just dont book that client. it rarely happens now. You will get better at booking people. I belive there are lotsa good clients out there you just gotta weed through the bad ones :) go with your gut.

I've just started a new business beginning of June and I'm amazed how many people think it is ok to cancel the day or night before! I have picked up a few customers through my facebook page and today two of my clients for tomorrow have messaged me on fb to say they are sorry something as come up blah, blah...I have got it written on my treatment list about charging a 50% cancellation fee if 24 hours notice is not given...but how can I enforce that through facebook or a potential new client as I'm sure they would never re-book! Sorry guy's just so frustrating!

Get them to pay in advance over the phone....

One of my clients gave me a good idea the other day when they are filling a consultation card out make sure that you put on there that if they do not give atleast 48hrs notice to cancelling there treatment that they will be invoiced with the full bill of the treatment and that failure to do so will end up in small claims court, 9 times out 10 they will pay it .
Obviously if it's a reason that is extremely bad then that's down to yourself to charge or not. But it just gives you piece of mind that they have signed it and that they know the consequences, this is only for new clients obviously you know what your regulars are like x

I do the text the day before as a reminder & it does work. However iv had a cancellation this morning, she text at 9 & her appointment was 9:30. Tiny bit frustrated but her daughter is ill so nothing I can do! It is one of them things but the confirming thing is a really good idea xx

H xx[/QUOTE

I need to start doing this , on Wednesday I had 3 no shows one after another :twisted:

I think when the client/clients child is ill its a good idea for us to be accommodating, we might lose the cost of that one appointment but if we are understanding about it its good customer service and we have more chance of retaining their custom in the future. It works both ways too, I had to cancel 4 days out of my diary a couple of weeks ago because I was ill and my customers were all very understanding, so I'd feel a bit hypocritical coming down hard on them if they had genuine problems.

i had only booked out 5 evenings last week and 4 out of the 5 cancelled!! like ll the night before xx

Latest posts

Back