Lateral thinking-can everyone try it to benefit their businesses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrysalis

Reaction score
Hi just to provoke a thought, after seeing how many therapists choose to go home early, not go in at all and wonder why thier businesses are not successful.

Matching supply and demand in business is fundamental, if there is no demand for services there is no business, simple.

However instead of choosing to go home early can many things relating to business not be done at the salon?

Ordering supplies, promotional leaflets, contacting clients, can all be done at the salon.

There was a thread recently about a very unpleasant situation with a clients boyfriend, what would or could have happened if she was alone because the other therapist had gone home?

When you go home early or not turn in at all if the diary is empty do you expect colleagues to take calls explain to clients why or when you might be back in? I wold think this will cause resentment between staff.

Is this professional behaviour?

If the client demand is not there would it not be better to renegotiate your hours.

The people I see who are successful have lived, breathed every moment of thier businesses sacrificing thier own personal time. It's about blood sweat and tears, it's not easy to get off the ground in business but put the effort in in the early years and reap the benefits later on.

So come on everyone use those quiet times at work to constructive use to develop the business, going home to watch home & away is not the answer,.....unless you work from home that is! :)

I live, breathe, eat and sleep what I do.

I've often got my back to my husband in an evening working on the computer, I'm quite new and have to take every opportunity I can :)

I live, breathe, eat and sleep what I do.

I've often got my back to my husband in an evening working on the computer, I'm quite new and have to take every opportunity I can :)

That's great, I'm tired of seeing how some people expect it to fall into thier laps, that's not reality, I'm reading literature, new research, different methods on you tube, always on the go it does my husbands head in at times but he does all the washing and ironing I have a cleaner so my time is spent more on the business.

I really hope the rewards come to those who break thier back developing thier business,
Good luck to you too

Couldn't agree more - having clients booked in is only part of our business (an important part obviously). The planning, organising, setting targets, advertising - the list is endless - is just as important. Great thread!

That's great, I'm tired of seeing how some people expect it to fall into thier laps, that's not reality, I'm reading literature, new research, different methods on you tube, always on the go it does my husbands head in at times but he does all the washing and ironing I have a cleaner so my time is spent more on the business.

I really hope the rewards come to those who break thier back developing thier business,
Good luck to you too

Thank you :)

I work from home and am very strict, I'm up and available (showered, dressed etc) ready to answer my phone at 9am. My emails and booking system are always open and I've always got something work related to do. I know fellow therapists who work from home who will lay in till midday if no clients are booked in, but these are the ones who will moan that they have no clients.

I never stop working. Even now I've just checked our website to approve a new trade customer.
This isn't a 9 to 5 for me; it's my livelihood, therefore it's my life.

I never stop working. Even now I've just checked our website to approve a new trade customer.
This isn't a 9 to 5 for me; it's my livelihood, therefore it's my life.

Hi Lynne I see your threads and how much you put into this site too, how thorough you are and I can see that reflects on how you run your business. I too check the online booking system, sometimes just look at my website to see if it needs freshening up, even if the font is all correct.

Having and being in business is hard, if done properly, it's much easier to be an employee, clocking off and not thinking about it till you clock back on. This going home cos the diary is quiet! Well! I've got nothing further to say, I'm too blue in the face,

You analyse every detail of your expenditure and I comings, a lot to be learned from you :)

Oooo thank you!

My partner always complains that I'm doing something business related out of business hours. But I just can't turn of when I leave the salon for the day. You get what you put into a business 😃

There's a huge distinction in doing what is required in your work and doing all you can.

I agree, I live an breath my business and have sacrificed a lot to get where I am. Everything I do is somewhat business related. I really enjoy what I do, all aspects of it so I see it as more of a hobby(hate that word sounds so unprofessional but can't think of another word to describe it right now) than a job. I'd rather spend my money on new training an products than on anything else. I keep getting told I need to have a work/life balance but my work is my life so I'm quite happily balanced!
There's always something to do or that needs to be done. Xxxxxx

I agree that if you're going to do something then you may as well do it wholeheartedly.

There's nothing wrong with aspiring to a good work/life balance though.

I think it's also about what the individual wants as well...there's a big difference between wanting to own and run a salon vs doing some mobile work part time to fit in with other commitments. Any extent of aspirations is valid I think, just as long as people consent to their success being proportionate to their efforts.

I couldn't agree more! It really does frustrate me how the people who 'don't give a monkeys' can have a salon whilley nilly but I try so so hard & have done all my professional life to at 27 only just have my own salon. I am so dedicated, live, sleep & breath it haha. I'm a bit sad really ha!! I were awake at 3am & got my books out, did an hours work that is crazy!! 😱💜 xx

Thank you!! I was starting to loose faith in this site, I'm new and still in training but honestly it is shocking how half heartedly some people are approaching their business, then post how quiet they arre and what do they need to do, how do they advertise etc......to run your own business you need to u understand that this is as far away from a 9-5 you can get, you're responsible for customer care, marketing, accounts, training, skills, products, stock, displays.....there are so many ways to actively promote yourself ad your business, but these need to be ON GOING, a one time leaflet drop isn't going to turn you into a success overnight, neither is £10 for a set of acrylics, or thinking that this is going to be a quick money maker. I am SO dedicated, I've already planned out marketing strategies, a year round treatment plan (offers/promotions for each month of the year), I've been spending every spare minute researching and reading up on the business side of beauty. Clients are there,despite the recession, you just need to actively reach out to them and keep those links strong!
X

I agree that those of us who run successful business is because of our commitment to it.
Unfortunately commitment is only one aspect of business success.
Commitment needs to be backed up with excellent training, skills, high standard, quality products, personality and a certain amount of luck. IMO
And business sense... Not everybody, no matter how skilled they are, will or can run a business.

Latest posts

Back