Layers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusieP

Reaction score
I am currently at college doing my VRQ, so still learning. My friend has asked me to cut her 9 yr old Daughter's hair, it is below shoulder length and all I know is that she wants layers. I was going to cut a long graduation but does anyone have any better ideas. I dont want her to look too 'grown up'.
Thanks
Su

I know how you feel.....I dont like to layer childrens hair too much as it gives too much of a grown up look and styling in the morning.
I also find that it takes away the straight, shiney look of healthy unprocessed hair and makes it a bit more fluffy and fly away.
I usually try to talk them into alot of soft face framing layers, while leaving back one length. Gives change and shape without going to the extreme.

She is too small for any kind of hair style.For children's hairstyles, keeping things simple usually last until they turn around 12 years old. From then on they seem to have ideas of their own on how they want their hair to look, and as parents we just have to make sure it is not too wild.kids at this age are more concerned about playing rather than socially fitting in the crowd, hairstyles do not need to be the hot, fashionable ones. Hairstyles need to be simple, easy to manage, and for girls, not too long so that it does not hamper their fun on swings, slides, or other fun activities.
When you go to a Los Angeles Hair Salon, it’s not just about the service, it’s about the EXPERIENCE. We at Kyle Mathis Hairdressing understand this and strive to create the supreme salon experience, one that will have you talking long after you walk out the door. Kyle Mathis Hair Dressing

Thanks for your advice, that's really useful. Hopefully with gentle persuasion I can give that a go.

i think she wants to be like her big Sister who has layered hair but she is 6 years older. Would a trim up be the best idea?

i think she wants to be like her big Sister who has layered hair but she is 6 years older. Would a trim up be the best idea?

What is her hair naturally like ? None of us want to make little ones look like grown ups,but on curly/ wavy hair,or lank hair a few very long layers can make such a difference for combing and to stop it looking like rat's tales lol

I'd actually do the opposite and layer throughout ,yet not so much at all on the face as imo it's this that gives the grown up look ...... your two front sections would be disconnected and i would only layer the very ends

JMO :green:

I am currently at college doing my VRQ, so still learning. My friend has asked me to cut her 9 yr old Daughter's hair, it is below shoulder length and all I know is that she wants layers. I was going to cut a long graduation but does anyone have any better ideas. I dont want her to look too 'grown up'.
Thanks
Su

Hi,

I'm only fairly new to hairdressing myself ( finished NVQ3 a few months back) but i find on childrens cuts overdirecting really helps with the layers so as to not layer too much and helps maintain length. maybe team that with some light framing. if you dont think layering would be suitable for her suggest that to her mum . Good luck!!

Thanks for your advice.

Latest posts

Back