Leases

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlepanther

Reaction score
For those of you that lease premises how long did it take with the solicitors and everything to go through with the paperwork before you actually moved into the premises?

I appreciate that every case is different due to solicitors involved and the type and length of lease etc but am just looking for some average timescale to expect.

Expect anywhere up to 3 months, it all depends if every one has negotiated terms already.

Where you based in Lincs if you dont mind me asking??

i think it depends on the company your leasing from, i saw my premises, and signed and got the keys next day. i had to pay a deposit and month in advance, but didnt have a solicitor or anything, the same with my house, only it took a couple of days for the credit checks to come back. good luck. x

4 months for me - start to finish

six months for me, I s'pose every case is different

8 weeks for me but i had to pay my solictor a lot to get it done that fast!! (Think it was about £6K in solictors fees) so we could get in for Christmas.

It depends on how complicated the lease is though.

Took me about 6 weeks to get hold of the paperwork and when the solicitor looked through it, I was glad she did. I could only open until 4pm...no sat/sun or holidays:eek:, so needless to say, I didnt proceed.

It is worth taking your time and getting all the checks you need done...:)

I'm in South Lincs near Spalding, if you know it

Still trying to get to get it sorted since October last year!!!
My landlord is a Housing Association and are impossible with responses.
It is all subject to turn around times of the individuals involved, but if your solicitors and the vendor can act promptly, and provided the lease is straightforward, I'd say:
A week for your solicitor to review the lease and amend the draft.
A week for vendor to accept/ reject.
A week to draw up and sign final and pay up.
Statutory searches, if necessary take a few weeks.

Though in reality, I'd give a few weeks for each of the above, despite how much you pay solicitors, they'll always blame the enevitable delay on the landlord.

Hi Yes I know it! I am based near Grantham for its sins! This place is turning into a ghost town!

Ask your solicitor to propose a completion date with the landlord. And make sure you get a break in your lease (incase things go wrong, then you can leave without paying the rest of your lease). Also with the recession thats likely makesure that the lease does not have an upwards rate increase only. If rates drop in the area you dont want yours going up!

I always ask for 3 months free rent too so I can get chance to set up before paying out. Most landlords will agree to 1-2 months.

Good Luck Kate x

Latest posts

Back