Left/right handed - blow drying technique help needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaPapaya

Reaction score
Hi Hair Geeks!

A quick and a bit of a random question for you all.

I'm struggling with my blow-drying at the moment - in fact I'd say it's the worst thing I do - my hair never looks smooth - and I just dislike doing it (because I know I'm bad at it) and I appear to be very "cack" handed gripping the hair - I don't know it just doesn't come natural to me.

Long story short - we had a salon session yesterday with college, and my tutor watched me, because I said I need help with this, and then said it's because you're left handed you're finding it difficult. I'm also not moving the brush/dryer correctly (as I knew).

I said, no I'm right handed - I write with my right hand.

She said why are you holding the dryer in your right hand then, and not the brush?

I said I'm not sure that's the way it feels more comfortable - she said usually you hold the brush with your strong (writing) hand and the dryer with your weaker hand. She asked me to try it - with brush in right hand and dryer in left and iIt was even worse, and I have no strength in my left hand!

So my question is -

are you left/right handed and what hand do you hold the dryer and the brush in. Does it even matter?! I'm paranoid now, I'm rubbish because I'm doing it with the wrong technique!

Also can anyone recommend any good blow dry instructional youtube clips for me, as I'm stressing about it and I KNOW she's going to book me in with blowdrys on Wednesday when we're in salon again!

I'm going to practice again in a minute, and she asked me to try half with the dryer in left hand and half in my right hand and see if it makes any difference!

Thankfully she did see the funny side of my rubbish blow-dry but I want to nail it :)

Any help appreciated! :)

Thanks x

I'm right handed and also get asked all the time if I'm lefthanded because I also prefer to hold the dryer in my right hand.
I also found holding the dryer difficult and now I don't hold it by the handle, I hold the body of the dryer as it gives me more control. It may sound cak handed but its so much more comfy.
I've seen a few other professionals do the same.
As the years have gone by ( too many to mention) my strength has improved and I can use both left and right hands.
As for your blowdrys remember to take sections the same width of the brush you are using and remember your positioning of yr hair dryer funnel so not to 'rough up'the hair.
Good luck and don't give up ;)

P.s there is no right or wrong technique as you will find as you go. The more you worry the harder it feels.
What ever works for you is the right way xx

Im right handed and hold the Dreier in my right, but I can use both hands depending what side of the head I'm on

Took me ages to get tecnquie right, just make some you waft the hair off really well then then blowdry when they think the section is dry go over it again also small sections

It will come in time x

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

Thank you for your replies!

I find myself getting so frustrated as I want to be good at it! :)

Great tip about hair as wide as brush too! I think I need to be a bit stronger too to get some proper tension. I think mine are too wishy-washy now!

I just had quick look on YouTube too, but haven't found a really good tutorial yet!

I'm right handed and hold brush in left, usually but can do both x

Thank you for your reply!

Funny isn't it? We all have quirks and know what works best!

Honestly I find it all a bit unnatural still but I'll get there! :) I'm just bit slower catching on I think!

I'm right handed and also get asked all the time if I'm lefthanded because I also prefer to hold the dryer in my right hand.
I also found holding the dryer difficult and now I don't hold it by the handle, I hold the body of the dryer as it gives me more control. It may sound cak handed but its so much more comfy.
I've seen a few other professionals do the same.
As the years have gone by ( too many to mention) my strength has improved and I can use both left and right hands.
As for your blowdrys remember to take sections the same width of the brush you are using and remember your positioning of yr hair dryer funnel so not to 'rough up'the hair.
Good luck and don't give up ;)

I'm the same!

im left handed and hold the brush in my right!! seems to be a pattern emerging here on brush holding and hand dominance!! I do swap over though depending on what im doing, it took me ages to get it right though! xx

I'm dyslexic. When I write I use my right hand but turn my paper upside down. I also tend to read words backwards from right to left. My mum was the same but she was also left handed.
Think this explains a lot of things. Like why I hold my dryer in the "wrong" hand and always swap my knife and fork around in retaurants

I am right handed but have always eld my dryer in my right and brush in my left dnt fink i cud do it the other way round! Xxx

Right handed and hold dryer in right and brush in left. I also hold the body of the dryer sometimes, but depends on the blow dry.
I have tried to swap hands but haven't had much luck. I feel too "wrong" haha oh well

Thank you for your replies :) x

I use both hands, but am right handed. To get an even blowdry you have to use both. For a smooth and straight blowdry you need to get the hair relativity straight using tension, then place the hair gently on the brush and with the dryer pointing perfectly down the shaft you move both down slowly.
Don't know if its a college aproved course but has lasted my aunt who has a tight curl over a week without flat irons xoxo

i also got told that when you take your sections make sure you havw good even tension and its dry at the roots before you move on the length and ends of that section, i find it holds better especially if they have curly hair i find thus works and lasts staying straight and also make sure you point the nozzle downwards and when its dry i always do a cold shot of air down it with the brush x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

but i am right handed and use brush in my left hand but im going to have a try next time with it the other way round to see if it makes any diffrence x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I'm a righty and hold my dryer in my right! :)

Oh thought I'd add, I also use cutlery "the wrong way around" maybe I'm just odd haha xoxo

Oh thought I'd add, I also use cutlery "the wrong way around" maybe I'm just odd haha xoxo

Me too! And I deal cards with my left hand and I'm a righty :/

Latest posts

Back