Legal stuff for running a biz from home.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrie

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
I suppose I'm putting this question to Home based salons. If any others have advice though, that's great.
I've been in contact with the council to find out how I get permission to run my biz from home. They told me I've got to ring the District Valuers office & they will decide biz tax I'll have to pay aswell as my council tax. I'm worried about it being a huge amount & I don't have a big enough client base yet to help pay it.
What do all you other Geeks have to pay extra for running your biz from home? I realise it changes from District to district & depends on whether or not you have a room especially for the biz or a space in your house. I have converted two brick sheds that were attached to my house into a salon. I also realise lot's of people keep quiet & just run there biz with no permision. I would like to get away with that but sods law, someone will report me! :irked:
Thanks for reading

ill be watching this one with interest!!!!!
a few techs i know have told me to keep quiet but to be honest i want to do it right and be a legal beagle so i can sleep at night without panicking about a knock at the door:lol:. i havent set up yet but am hoping to before christmas xx

Also I think it limits the amount of advertising you can do. Don't you think? If it's there in Black & white in Yellow pages (or yellow & black!) you can't really hide the fact your running a biz.
It would help me sleep at night being legal but then will we be kept awake worrying about the extra cost! Hopefully not ehy. We would be able to blast the adverts out then wouldn't we.
I'll keep you all informed of the outcome of the telephone call to the DV Office.

Lorrie said:
Also I think it limits the amount of advertising you can do. Don't you think? If it's there in Black & white in Yellow pages (or yellow & black!) you can't really hide the fact your running a biz.
It would help me sleep at night being legal but then will we be kept awake worrying about the extra cost! Hopefully not ehy. We would be able to blast the adverts out then wouldn't we.
I'll keep you all informed of the outcome of the telephone call to the DV Office.
You can claim costs for this if they charge you extra, against your tax as a business expense

I have a home salon, I dont pay bisuiness rates as the room is also used for other purposes, and as long as I keep within agreed working hours and my clients dont park on the street Im ok. I had to pay extra on my home ins though, and I know some people have had to change mortgage provider as some will not allow you to run a business from home(fortunately mine arnt bothered!)hths:)

I had to change home insurance to More Than as they were the only one who would offer me cover with my home salon, with my old company and gave me the same level of cover....but if I have a theft at the time a client is in the house they will not cover me unless it is a forced entry!!:eek:

I also realise lot's of people keep quiet & just run there biz with no permision. I would like to get away with that but sods law, someone will report me! :irked:
Thanks for reading[/quote]

Hi - I would not recommend this at all!! Simply because I was recently reported for working from home even though I haven't worked from home since May! so you never know who's watching you. I spoke to the council on the day I got the letter and invited them round that day to see for themselves that I had no "set up" at home but they were satisified in their investigations that I wasn't working from home.

Latest posts

Back