Let Battle Commence: The Sunbed Association vs. The Modelling Agencies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Ahead of London Fashion Week, the UKs top modelling agencies have announced a zero-tolerance approach to models using sunbeds. As part of Cancer Reasearch’s new campaign R UV UGLY?, leading agencies have agreed to categorically ban the use of sunbeds amongst their models, opting for no-sun options only.

Sarah Doukas, managing director at Storm Model Management says, “Supporting this campaign makes perfect sense as the well-being of our models is of paramount importance and we take a serious approach to their health.” Michelangelo Chiacchio, CEO at Elite Model Management reiterates that message: “We hope that this will help to send out a strong message to young girls and guys that sunbeds will have a negative impact on their appearance.”

And there is no doubt that this is an industry that wields serious influence. Many feel that this is a positive move by the leading agencies in the UK and that it will go a long way to raising awareness regarding the claimed dangers of sunbed usage. However, The Sunbed Association are fighting back.

Gary Lipman, chairman of The Sunbed Association said that while the group always welcomes advice on the need to avoid excessive sun exposure, the R UV UGLY? Campaign is “unworthy” of a charity like Cancer Research. “Cancer Research’s work should be based on scientific and medical fact. We really must separate fact from propaganda. This campaign relies on interview-based recollections not clinical data. Indeed research studies designed to prove a link between sunbed use and melanoma have found no link at all.”

Many geeks will rely on sunbeds and the income they generate in their salons so we’re interested to hear what you think. Does this move by modeling agencies worry those of you who offer sunbeds in salons? Do you think the day of the sunbed is gone and that we should all be offering sunless solutions? Is this something that modeling agencies should stay out of? Let us know.

Until then…geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• Sunbed 2.jpg
    Sunbed 2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:
Isn't it because of the fashion industry more and more girls have eating disorders? Maybe sort that problem out before jumping on other band wagons! I don't have sunbeds, but I use them. Have done for years. Regularly. Spray and fake tanning in my opinion is too much hassle and the result isn't great. It is damaging to those with sunbed shops. And as the sunbed association has said there is no clinical evidence to support it! What a crock!

Don't think I've ever looked at a runway model and thought, oh she's got a lovely tan, it's normally "god she looks unhappy" or "she's way to skinny". I think this ban is ridiculous and the company's need to look into banning models under a certain bmi. This is the first I've heard of a problem with sunbeds in the modelling industry, but heard plenty about models fainting and even dying from not eating! Yes miss using sunbeds is dangerous but think they have larger problems !

I don't remember ever seeing a tanned model. They all look skinny, pasty and sickly looking IMO.

Agree they should feed their models more and then maybe focus on other problems.

Latest posts

Back