Let down by friends again!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lissylou

Reaction score
Hi there geeks. I am unsure what to do at the moment. I have passed my spray tanning course before Xmas. Got my brilliant kit January from la tanning. Been practicing on daughter and my other half every week since. Managed to do only one friend! I was supposed to be practicing on two others. They have cancelled four times! Left the 5th appointment upto them to contact me. Nothing. I had another practice booked in with a work colleague who cancelled today! Another was concerned about me seeing her in the nip when she is my senior. I work in a very professional environment. I am starting to fret thinking gosh I can't even give these tans away. My other half says they can't be truefriends which doesn't make me feel great. Not sure if it's that they don't know how important it is to me or they don't really like what I am doing or it's that most of them love their sunbed sessions :((( should I just go ahead and start my business regardless. I do feel quite confident just the extra practice is always beneficial. Has any other geeks experienced friends letting them down! Thanks for reading :) xx

Hi LissyLou,

Where abouts in Merseyside are you? I'm in Merseyside also and have been spray tanning for 4 years, I can help you with things if you like x

R u near milton keynes? U can practice on me!!! I can only suggest setting up a fb page and do spray tans for half price or something until your confidence is up :)

Hi mobile Kat. I am in St helens. It's good to hear you have been doing it so long so presumably it's a success! :) x

Thank you bumblebee. It's great to know that fellow geeks are so supportive. I intended to sort out a face book page I need to bite the bullet sooner rather than later. Just a bit perplexed how people can be so flaky and let people down. But hey ho. X x

I have the same problems with my friends , Im in St Helens too :) Where abouts are you ?

Maybe they're nervous of you seeing them in the buff? Or worried what the colour will be like? as they're your friends you could try asking them if there is something putting them off, it will give you good practice at allaying client's concerns if nothing else. It took me ages to pluck up the courage for my first spray tan and ended up just having my legs done first to be sure I'd like the colour x

The majority of my friends use me for their beauty treatments. However for other services (ie building, plumbing etc) I prefer to use people I don't know personally as i like the professional indifference, so if there is ever a "problem" I do not feel like I am complaining to a friend about their service.

Some of my friends have mentioned that it would be too embarrasing to use me for bikini waxing, whereas others state they prefer someone they know.

Don't take it too personally, the few you have mentioned could feel as stated above - particularly your senior at work.

hth and good luck xxxxx

Thanks everyone for your replies. I kind of had a feeling it is prob due to embarrassment and to be honest before any training in beauty etc and being a model on my courses I probably would have been embarrassed and preferred to go to someone I didn't know. I may suggest just having legs done to start. Gain a bit of trust. Thanks guys :) x x

you're welcome. That's what this site it meant to be about - advice. xxxxx

Good luck

omg i would love it if any of my friends spray tanned :) think its probably an embarrassment thing x good luck with the tanning, im sure you'll do great x

people can be funny like that don't take it personally. although when you get going and they see you are a good tanner they may then look for a discounted tan so if i was you i'd be sure to charge them full whack!

Sorry to hear it.
A few friends of mine didn't want me doing their hair while I was training in case I messed it up, maybe it's that they are scared as u class it as practice that they may turn out orange or patchy. Just go for it and get out there.

At te same time, I had great friends who put total trust in to me, even with trying new things, and just before a night out. Keep asking Hun, but remember there is always a few who are wary xoxo

I had the same problem hun!

no one wanted one even for FREE lol in the end I just sat & thought do you know what sod you all I'm not begging you to have a FREE spray tan!!!
I did 5 practises & started my business. you can't wait around for ever, just go for it! good luck x

Thanks guys. I am going to keep practicing on those who are willing. Poor other half has been every conceivable colour but I am deffo getting better with each one. Little tricks that I have got from fellow geeks have so helped me :) I can't wait for the day when I am busy and they want their free tans then lol!! I think you are right tho I need to take the bull by the horns very soon and start advertising. I have leaflets and stuff ready waiting to go so I have no excuse really. X

Friends are funny things, I had the same problem when i first qualified, its almost as if because they know you they don't see you as a professional?. Just go for it, once you've done a few paying customers your confidence will soar - just don't do any brides to be yet, I still get nervous when doing brides n i've being spraying for a few years now lol.

Good Luck
Emma x

You may find its not even about you seeing them in the buff or them worrying about the fact that you've recently qualified, I initially found friends a nightmare when I first qualified. Because I was giving them discounts they would let me down at the last minute, expect me to do them treatments at the drop of the hat and not follow aftercare because it was cheap - get charging hun, they soon respect you as a professional when you're charging the same as everyone else! xxx

In my experience it's always the clients that 'become friends' that let you down. Don't make friends out of clients. As flattering as it may be. Always remain professional and never discuss your private life. Just be a 'listener' to theirs. That is enough to make them feel you care.
There will always be a need a safe tan!
Good luck
Fleur

I am in st.helens too :) Friends are the worst when your training/newly qualified I think. I know some of mine backed out when I had them booked in for assessments. I think it's because in my homelife i'm a bit of a clutz but not at all when i've got my scissors lol!!

Do you have facebook? try putting on your fb that your looking for models for spray tans to practise on, maybe do this on wed and thurs get to people thinking before the weekends? I know I have a friend who loves to get a tan before the weekend if she's going out drinking, and I bet she'd be willing to let you practise on her if you ever move on from friends and family :)

Good luck!! xx

Hi there, I'm hoping to start my level 3 in st Helen's soon. I wouldn't mind being a model for you. I'll be doing one night a week on a Wednesday if I'm accepted. It'll start at the end of feb if you're still struggling. Ps. I'm not a nutter or anything!! Xxx

Latest posts

Back