Let's cut people some slack please ....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
It is coming to the attention of the Moderator team that there are people who are becoming serial neg reppers to the point that Sam is starting to investigate it. So if you are giving out neg rep on almost a daily or even a weekly basis I suggest you stop right now .. or you could find yourself on the wrong end of a ban!

This has come to light as a few new, and also longer serving members have said they won't be staying as they have received loads of neg rep which makes us look like a bunch of cliquey nasty minded people. Having read some of the reputation comments made I actually have to agree with them,and it is getting apparent that it's the same people giving out neg rep most of the time.

So let the newbies settle in please and also realise that some people may have had a bad day and aren't being themselves and could be a little tetchy, so a little tolerance wouldn't go amiss. Two wrongs don't make a right so please stop being so damned trigger happy on the neg rep button.

If you feel a post is out of order then please report the post and let the moderators deal with it discreetly and without malice ... remember that those very people that a few of you are driving away from the site may just have the perfect answer to your questions.

although I've yet to give a negative rep myself or even recieve one...I whole heartedly agree with you.....sometimes just observing a thread you can feel the click and KNOW it's gonna get a negative rep by someone........

It would be ashame to lose anyone to this ........

I was saddened at a negative rep comment another Geek received - it was totally undeserved and the poor Geek who was on the receiving end has never been anything more than pleasant.

It is abusing the system, and some people do get really upset by it - I have had plenty of neg reps and it is like water off a ducks back, some I have deserved, some I haven't.

I just wish people would take a step back and ask themselves.... 'how would it make ME feel if I got Negative rep like that?'

All I can think, is that people are so miserable with themselves that they want to make others feel bad too.

I agree Caroline, people should take a step back. We often get asked to check out people's rep, and there are certain names that crop up every time. In fact we almost know who has sent it when a complaint comes in before we've even checked it out.

So this thread really isn't to let people give their views about the rep system and what they think - more a friendly warning to those that give out neg rep like acid drops that we have had enough of it and we're onto you.

such a shame that the system is being abused like that....glad to hear you are onto it though.

maybe those doing it should cast a mind back to when they first joined....and also how they feel (and possibly rant) when they get neg rep.

speak too and treat people on here as you would in person and as you would like others to speak and treat you.....thats my motto

Now the song by Take That is ringing in my head.....:lol: xx

just curious but i thought this was a site to come to for info share info and have a place where everyone can place an opionion on things that we all share a common interest as far as rep points i really dont care and if someone has so much time on there hands that all they have to do is bad talk others get a hobby a self help book something seriously what is this grade school i thought we were adults and just because you may not share the same point of view get over it having to make someone feel bad to make your self feel accomplished.... disagreeing with something and full on making someone feel like s**t are no where related dont let the door hit you were the good lord split you...

It would be a real shame to have the rep point system taken away imo

Agree with you Becki. Why the vindictiveness though?? I suppose it's been a while since the last hoo-haa over rep.....:rolleyes: :biggrin: !!!

The rep system should be used as a "thankyou" " Good Job" acknowledgement. Neg reps should only be used in very extreme cases.
Not just because this person's post pissed you off today.

There has been abuse of the Rep system.

If a poster is a bit snippy in their post, then reporting the post would be appropriate. If the member continues on with snippy replies and does not heed warnings that they are upsetting others with their attitude then a neg rep might be in line.

What the MOD team have been seeing is that some peeps are not giving other members a chance to redeem themselves before they give neg reps (public apologies or a change in attitude.) This is what must stop.

very well put sassy

i have never given nor recieved negative rep

It's not being taken away... but it is being abused, regularly!

As has been said before, if the offending members look at a new member's post and think back to how they were when they first joined then perhaps they will remember how daunting it can be to join a community of like-minded people (some of whom are friends with each other off the site as well on on it).
Perhaps they could put themselves in the shoes of the new member (or old member) when they are dishing out the neg reps and ask themselves how they would feel to be reading comments such as those which are given out all too frequently.

We should all be trying our hardest to make new members feel welcome, if we see replies that appear to be a bit snappy then let a moderator know so we can pm the member concerned, that would be a lot better than giving them a neg rep with a snappy comment.

It's not being taken away... but it is being abused, regularly!

:o i meant if it continues :o

Heck i'm sick of threads about rep, so god knows how Sam and the mods feel as well as having to deal with this.

It seems the whole rep system is causing more hassle than it's worth,which is a shame

I have been a member of this site for coming up 3 years now!!! Although I think it took me a while to get totally hooked!
In that time I think I have neg repped 3 maybe 4 times, and 2 of those people I neg repped ended up being banned anyway!! One I really regret as I think the geek was just having a bad day....so maybe that is why it is a definite last resort for me now.

So it really has to be extreme for me to use it. I prefer to make my feelings known in the thread if I can be constructive......or just IGNORE the thread if I can't!

So it appears I neg rep on an annual basis :eek:....I can't imagine why geeks are doing this on a daily or even weekly basis.

I actually think since the changes and having the new Hair Forum the site has become more professionals only, which has been great.
It saddens me that some are not behaving professionally behind the scenes.

I definitely think they need to lighten up....or get out more:lol:

This is a nail forum not life or death you know!!!!

Good to know the Mods are on the case....but come on geeks they have enough to do on here can't we make life a bit easier for them?

The rep system should be used as a "thankyou" " Good Job" acknowledgement. Neg reps should only be used in very extreme cases.
Not just because this person's post pissed you off today.
I agree with this. I do not think neg rep should be given just because of a differing opinion, but unfortunately this happens all the time. Neg should only be given for trolling, destructive posting and nastiness.
There has been abuse of the Rep system.

If a poster is a bit snippy in their post, then reporting the post would be appropriate. If the member continues on with snippy replies and does not heed warnings that they are upsetting others with their attitude then a neg rep might be in line.

What the MOD team have been seeing is that some peeps are not giving other members a chance to redeem themselves before they give neg reps (public apologies or a change in attitude.) This is what must stop.
Unfortunately, acidness from constant negative reppers will not stop. You will always get peeps who will try it including those who dish it out like smarties because they don't like you for whatever lame reasons.

I've not posted much recently because of neg rep being given for silly reasons. It is disheartening and leaves a very bad taste in ones mouth which is sad because there are so many lovely geeks here who really contribute in a positive and constructive way to the site.

Heck i'm sick of threads about rep, so god knows how Sam and the mods feel as well as having to deal with this. It seems the whole rep system is causing more hassle than it's worth,which is a shame

I'm with you - if I had a £ for every post about the rep system I'd be a very happy Geek! As long as it remains anonymous it's open to abuse. Personally, it's not something I take much notice of, I can't remember the last time I checked to see if I had received any reps (good or bad) from anyone and it isn't something that I let run my life, there are far more important things to worry about in 'real' life than a few anonymous comments from people who have nothing better to do than hide behind an internet persona in order to bully someone else!

My two penneth!
Jackie

So this thread really isn't to let people give their views about the rep system and what they think - more a friendly warning to those that give out neg rep like acid drops that we have had enough of it and we're onto you.
I just want to reiterate Sassy's earlier post that this isn't a thread to get opinions of the rep system.

It's basically to let those who abuse the system know that we are onto them and we will be watching like hawks to ensure that we don't lose members of the site due to the dishing out of neg reps willy nilly, and to remind those who do give out neg rep to take a long hard think about how they would feel if it were them on the receiving end of their comments.

Good to know the Mods are on the case....but come on geeks they have enough to do on here can't we make life a bit easier for them?

I am not going to comment on the Rep system all I want to say is our Mods are wonderful hard working geeks who do not get paid for keeping us all in check and have 'real' jobs to do so they don't want to be spending all their time chasing geeks who haven't thought before repping.

So if you want to neg rep log off, think is it really worth it then go back and read the thread again either that or contact one of our lovely Mods for advice.:hug:

Can the Neg reps not be made un-annonymous, so the name of the repper is left automatically? It might help towards stopping serial neg reppers.

i totally agree with karen, the mods work dam hard on here, helping people out, sorting out threads, rep, reported posts etc. :hug:
treat peeps how you would want to be treated your self.....its not hard

I am not going to comment on the Rep system all I want to say is our Mods are wonderful hard working geeks who do not get paid for keeping us all in check and have 'real' jobs to do so they don't want to be spending all their time chasing geeks who haven't thought before repping.

So if you want to neg rep log off, think is it really worth it then go back and read the thread again either that or contact one of our lovely Mods for advice.:hug:
I'm with you on this one Karen - the other thing is that the mods will have their own issues to deal with at home - eg Sass is having a nightmare selling her house - do we really have to add to her stress level by being vindictive?

I haven't a clue who the culprits are but can I ask them to look at something positive instead of negative? it will make you feel so much better in the long run :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back