Level 4 certificate in education and training (cet)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
I'm talking about the one that used to be known as ctlls and is usually done after ptlls (now aet) and before dtlls (now det).

Has anyone managed to get a college teaching job with just ctlls/cet?

I know pgce is meatier but my health is such that i need a course where the hours are less demanding and with cet requiring only one evening per week plus thirty hours teaching it suits my needs better (my goal is to work part time ideally teaching evening courses anyway).

So yeah, anyone here managed to get a teaching job with just level 4 ctlls/cet?

I taught hairdressing before I had my children. My advice would be to volunteer in your subject area in a college and get your foot in the door. You need volunteered hrs to complete the course anyway. Also you will be given the heads up when jobs become available. Colleges and training providers should employ you without a full pgce xx

I did the PTLLS and got a job at my local fe college. They paid for me to do my Assessors award and now have recommended me to do the cert ed but funding is not available.

Thanks for your replies :)

I phoned my local college and they said considering my main aim is to teach evening courses then the level 4 certificate in education and teaching should be sufficient. This along with your replies is a massive relief because the pgce looks too full on for me (I love academic study but my health won't mix well with the hours required).

Crossing my fingers for you re cert ed funding! :)

Nb: posting to add that the college told me I need to do the level 3 award in education and teaching (formally ptlls) first.

Can we not teach without the qualification?

ie. Give tips and a 'helping hand' to those in need or would we not be allowed to do it as chargeable?

It is my understanding that you AT LEAST need, what was once known as PTLLS.
You cannot, however assess, so you would be limited to doing 'workshops'.
Part of gaining the higher qualification would involve you doing voluntary work (it used to be 3 hours per week practical), working alongside someone who is qualified.:)

It is my understanding that you AT LEAST need, what was once known as PTLLS.
You cannot, however assess, so you would be limited to doing 'workshops'.
Part of gaining the higher qualification would involve you doing voluntary work (it used to be 3 hours per week practical), working alongside someone who is qualified.:)
I don't want to teach to go into a class room and teach students from scratch but I would quite like to help students who are already qualified and need a helping hand in ironing out issues.

I have been messaged a few times on Facebook from college students needing tips and advice. The only thing I tell them at the moment is that my insurance doesn't cover me to teach them but if they wanted to book in with me for a set of nails I wouldn't mind talking them through what I'm doing but in that sense I'm selling myself short when I have paid substantial amounts for one to one training like that...

I don't want to teach to go into a class room and teach students from scratch but I would quite like to help students who are already qualified and need a helping hand in ironing out issues.

I have been messaged a few times on Facebook from college students needing tips and advice. The only thing I tell them at the moment is that my insurance doesn't cover me to teach them but if they wanted to book in with me for a set of nails I wouldn't mind talking them through what I'm doing but in that sense I'm selling myself short when I have paid substantial amounts for one to one training like that...

Umm, I'm not sure....
If you're not charging, just giving 'tips and advice', then I guess you are not actually 'teaching' as such.
You'll just be giving them a FREE tutorial......o_Oo_Oo_O.......so they can be as good as you....for FREE:eek:
I'm all for helping and nurturing...., up to a point.
They could become your competition......:oops:
Are you sure you want to give away your 'secrete recipe'!!!!

Umm, I'm not sure....
If you're not charging, just giving 'tips and advice', then I guess you are not actually 'teaching' as such.
You'll just be giving them a FREE tutorial......o_Oo_Oo_O.......so they can be as good as you....for FREE:eek:
I'm all for helping and nurturing...., up to a point.
They could become your competition......:oops:
Are you sure you want to give away your 'secrete recipe'!!!!
That's my issue, I could be selling myself way too short couldn't I but then I help and advise them through messages anyway as I don't like to be ignorant... No good falling out with potential future competition... It's really awkward, I don't want to help them for free but not sure if I'm able to charge without me being an 'official' teacher.

That's my issue, I could be selling myself way too short couldn't I but then I help and advise them through messages anyway as I don't like to be ignorant... No good falling out with potential future competition... It's really awkward, I don't want to help them for free but not sure if I'm able to charge without me being an 'official' teacher.
Contact your insurance company. We're insured to train but not teach, so we offer refresher training but no qualifications.

It's worth asking x

I would suggest you start on the level 3 qualification and decide if you want to progress. You will need it to teach or train. My route was:

Introduction to teaching (whilst working)
Level 3 qual in teaching (applied for a job in fe)
Pdce (old cert ed) whilst working in fe
Assessors award (whilst working in fe)

X

Latest posts

Back