Lidl now doing 'Gel nail' kits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladybird

Reaction score
Just saw the poster advertising the gel kit for £34.99 including lamp. Oh dear!

I really wouldn't be concerned about this, people can already buy these kits on the high street but it doesn't mean they'll be any good at it :)

OOh ek, LIDL!?
That's ridic, but like you say, Groupon and Wowcher have some form of 'fantastic gel polish' every other week nowadays!

I guess it was only a matter of time really, but then again it's probably good news for qualified nail technicians who are hopefully going to be a lot busier when DIY goes wrong :D

Fingers crossed they will realise it's not as easy as we make it look :p they're already available at boots. My friend tested it out and said it chipped after a few days, another said it wrecked her nails so I wouldn't worry :)

DIY nail kits have been around for at least 16 years and was the reason I got my very first very nail customer ( who incidentally stayed with me for 15 years before she moved away )

She bought a kit to do herself , made a right pigs ear of it but it fueled her desire to get her nails done- So the DIY kits were GOOD for me

You should NOT be worried whatever high street shop sell these. DIY hair colour kits have been around for donkeys years and yet there are still 1000's of hairdressers around the country who have a full book

The vast majority of the people that uy these kits are most likely not the sort of person that would pay to have their nails done on a regular basis so are not even worth thinking about

x

Oh I'm not worried one little bit! Just feel sorry for all the money that will be wasted ! Can't bear to think of the disaster nails that'll be done!!

Saw one in wilkies the other day too. Teeny LED lamp for a very low price. Probably a piece of crap!

You only have to look on eBay to see all the used nail kits being sold, to know that these home kits aren't really that successful. Most of them are listed as almost new or only used once! The majority have been bought on the high street, so a professional finish is going to be hard for anyone to achieve, let alone a complete novice😊😊😊.

Ultimately women are always going to want to go and have a pamper by a qualified nail tech, beautician etc etc

Oh lol. Well, it shows how healthy our industry is!

This is not a problem. Women came to salons for manicures even before there was gel polish and regular nail polish could be bought at every dime store, drug store and department store in town. It is the quality of the experience and the outcome that matters.

Gel polish solves the big problems that were keeping a lot of women out of salons - spending big money on a manicure that was often smudged by the time they walked out the door and didn't last more than a few days. So lots of these women will buy these DIY kits (didn't we do that?) and discover that a professional outcome requires a professional and come back to us more aware of what it really takes.

One of my closest friends bought a home gel polish kit. One day we went for lunch and wouldn't stop talking about it, I guessed she was doing it on purpose to try and get me to say how utterly amazing it was. In the end, she started to ask me direct questions about how to apply and if it was any good...

I asked her if it had instructions (a bit sarcastically) and she said 'yeah but I can never seem to do it right. It hurts my nails when I put my hand in the lamp and it never lasts more than a day'. I told her that the best way to apply was, go to a professional and pay them to do it for her or, train to be a nail tech and buy professional products.

Wound me right up!!

Luckily, none of my clients have ever asked about a home kit... I'm not worried about them. As others have said, we'll get more business when people do it wrong and ask us to fix it 😁

The best advice I ever received - "Work smarter, not harder". Thank you, geeks!!

So much choice in the supermarkets these days ... does this face :cool: look bothered though?

Lol xx

I just checked out the instructions - looks cheap and nasty..... NOT on my shopping list for sure!!

They sell a kit in my local supermarket and I have never seen anyone buy it and it's stuck at the bottom of the shelf with a tiny little led lamp, I think most places try to sell some sort of kit x

Latest posts

Back