Lieu days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazzybabe

Reaction score
Hey everyone I need a bit of help I have a friend who is also a beauty therapist, she is going on training next week, but has been told she will not be paid for training and will get half the travel cost back for 4 days and isn't entitled to a lieu day, although she is working over her contracted hours the week of training and also on days she would not normally work, where does she stand? Just after a bit of advice hope you can help :) x

Hey everyone I need a bit of help I have a friend who is also a beauty therapist, she is going on training next week, but has been told she will not be paid for training and will get half the travel cost back for 4 days and isn't entitled to a lieu day, although she is working over her contracted hours the week of training and also on days she would not normally work, where does she stand? Just after a bit of advice hope you can help :) x

I have never been paid for training. When she leaves she will take her new skills with her so she should appreciate the opportunity

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for reply, anybody else?

Hmmm that's a tough one...
Tell her to give ACAS a quick call :)

If shes going for a week of training then she should be should be paid her weekly wage IMO. If its training she wants to do herself, then take a weeks holiday to do it x

There should be something in her contract about this. Training is a big part of this industry and us salon owners should encourage it. I pay a full days pay, which for my staff is 7.5 hours, no more even its a longer day or they travel/stay over. I also pay their travel and accommodation. One of my staff pays for her training courses herself, the others know the cost and know that I'll reclaim it if they leave within certain times. ie 1 year - all of it, 2 years - half of it. If I didn't make it clear and simple and if the girls were going to be out of pocket, they wouldn't go then we'd all lose out.

Thanks everyone, It's just cos everywhere I have worked I have always received lieu days for training on days that I wouldn't work and travel expenses and also been paid for training which is very lucky, so that's why I was a bit confused when she told me she was getting none of it :-/ xx

TBH if I was employed and was being sent on training then I would expect my travel expenses to be paid in full and I would expect to be paid the same as I would if was working (seeing as I don't have a choice in going).

If I wanted to do the training for myself (I chose the training, booked it and paid for it myself) then I would expect to have to take time of work and cover the travel costs etc.. myself.

Telling someone to go on training but not paying them or covering the travel costs seems really unfair to me. It's like telling someone to work but not paying them. If the salon wants them to do the training then the salon should cover the costs including paying for each day as if it is work.

Officially a good employer will pay for all trainong courses and related coats on the understanding that if you leave within x amount of time you will have to pay y amount of money back to the employer. Both parties will sign something to confirm this.

However, I personally would do a training course unpaid as ling as travel and accommodation costs were reasonable because id see it as an opportunity and it would be much cheaper than opening an account with a product house myself.

Ethically I think an employer should pay the costs but it could also be a question of what is in it for you even if theyre not going to pay you (cv, experience, pleasure of learning etc). That said you should never be pressured into doing training where youd have to pay your own accomodation and travel because this would be as illegal as an employee being asked to cover an employers water bill.

I have never not been paid for training days (unless its a course im doing privately) and I would not expect my staff to be out of pocket at all, days pay anfd travel paid for. training is of benefit to the employer. Id be kicking up a right fuss if I was told id have to so it free!!!!!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back