Life after extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spangley

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after some advice re weaning off extensions.

To give a bit of background.

I first tried Balmain extensions and didn't like them. I kept them in for 3 months then had them taken out. They left my hair feeling much finer, especially on the ends. After this I decided to try and grow my own hair, but it was just really, really fine and wispy on the ends. I got fed up and did a lot of research into the best extensions and came up with Great Lengths.

I had Great Lengths fitted and immediately LOVED them. So much better than my previous experience. However I have got myself into a bit of a catch 22 situation with them. I have had them in now for about a year and have them redone every 3-4 months. I have them taken out on a friday and back in on Saturday morning and Friday night I can hardly look at my own hair and can't wait for them to go back in.

This is the problem. My own hair is getting finer and finer, it's not just that I am used to the feeling of the extensions, it is definitely finer. And I am getting worried now about my hair and having any left at all. Hence the question about how to wean off them.

I have just had this new set fitted this weekend and I know that by the time these are ready to come out I really need to let my own hair recover. Question is what to do. My extensionist suggested having less in and shorter and do it gradually. Or should I just go cold turkey? I'm not sure I could, but then by still having some in that hair is not recovering. will the rest of my hair recover whilst still having some extensions in? I'm in a right state about it. I remember feeling like this after I had them out last time, then as soon as I get them back in I forget about how bad my own hair is.

I have currently got 75 stands of 12 inch, and she cuts them in half.

Help please. Has anyone else been through this? I really wish I had never started with them. :sad::cry:

It all sounds a bit melodramatic tbh lol, if you know they are damaging your hair so much I don't understand why you don't just stop wearing them and concentrate on repairing your natural hair as best you can.

I'm not an extension pro but I do know if my hair extensions were damaging my natural hair so much I'd stop immediately rather than wait til it's too late.

X.

Thanks for understanding!

I was just after a bit of advice from either professionals or someone who has been in a similar position, and a bit of understanding. Its easy to say just take them out, I know that.

Thanks for understanding!

I was just after a bit of advice from either professionals or someone who has been in a similar position, and a bit of understanding. Its easy to say just take them out, I know that.

I see someone in the pro forum has replied with some advice which should help you out:)

Good luck, hope you get it sorted
X.

Yes they have thank you.

Hi hun. I'm professional hair stylist and extensionist. I would advise after your removal to have a trim, also if you like to wear your hair up?... This will help a lot. After a month or two, you'll then have your hair down and it does appear a lot healthier, and slightly longer. Wearing hair up also means you won't be adding more damage by straightening it every day if you do. Hope this helps xx

Latest posts

Back