Lifting box colored hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetaime

Reaction score
I have a client that has been box dying her hair black for years now. She wanted her black hair with light brown highlights, so I used scruples illusionist spiced rum with 20 volume and scruples accelerator powder. The color lightened her hair to a dark brownish red which was only visible in the sunlight. So I decided to brighten it with scruples blue oil lighter with 20 volume and scruples blazing lights. It made the red lighter, but It completely missed what the client wanted. She liked it, though. But the next day it turned orange. In the client's words, "orange as a pumpkin". The client then dyed her hair back with box color dye, so I'm stumped here. If I were to do the clients hair again, how would I get it to the correct color that she wants without damaging her hair? Any help is appreciated!

The clients hair looked like this:
yXvdneB.png

After I finished it, it looked like this:
2hW9s5c.png

She dyed it back with box color to the first image, so I'm back to square one...

The client wants something like this:
371bea51f787d64c4ff6018cbc9d8611.jpg

If you want to remove black box dye build up, you need to use a colour reducer first, not bleach.

Do you have any experience of doing balayage?

If you want to remove black box dye build up, you need to use a colour reducer first, not bleach.

Do you have any experience of doing balayage?

This is my second time trying to do a balayage ( I finish hair school in December ). Do you have Any recommendations for a color reducer? I need all the help I can get at this point. My teachers don't even know how to balayage and etc :( I feel like I'm just learning as I go along.

You need to tell her she is expecting to much of you. She should not of recoloured her hair black after you had already lightened it once. At best you might be able get it back to the second picture, but it will be impossible to lift that hair to a blonde tone now. If you are still in school please don't attempt a balayage, stick to foil because you will already a fundamental knowledge about them and incubating your lightner in foil will give you a greater lift. Try and get your hands on a Malibu C colour correction wellness treatment to lift some of that black out before you start, they are great and really kind to the hair which looks pretty damaged already.

Latest posts

Back