Lifting problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lainy

Reaction score
I wonder if any one has any advice. i have been doing nails for just a year now and had a problem with lifting. But I read a dos and donts thing and most of my clients now dont have any lifting.

But unfortunatley I still have a few that lift quite badly??? I know it can be down to the individual, but does anyone else have certain clients that they just lift????

Someone I know goes to a salon with the Thai technicians and they always look so perfect and never lift??????!!!!!!!

Hi Lainy,

there is the very occasional client who is much harder to stop lifting on,
these are great cases for experimenting with prep boosters such as nail fresh and acid free primer.

The reason that the other salons don't get lifting can be down to a number of reasons. Quite often they are really roughing up the nail plate with extremely rough abrasives, that can take off up to 25%+ of the nail plate. The soft inner core of the nail once roughed up is an extremely easy surface to bond to. However in the long run, this is ruining the nail plate and causing massive damage.

Hth

Lainy said:
I wonder if any one has any advice. i have been doing nails for just a year now and had a problem with lifting. But I read a dos and donts thing and most of my clients now dont have any lifting.

But unfortunatley I still have a few that lift quite badly??? I know it can be down to the individual, but does anyone else have certain clients that they just lift????

Someone I know goes to a salon with the Thai technicians and they always look so perfect and never lift??????!!!!!!!

if its only the occasional lift then i would apply primer and nailfresh (thats if your using creative system) im sure most systems use a primer, tho i cant comment on them as i only use creative,if your client has excessive oily nail plates this can cause lifting so you need to apply a product to really get in there, if you know what i mean

hth flower

Lainy said:

I'm not sure do they use the electric files do you know as if you find out they do they probably are using MMA as well read this thread on MMA which isn't good for her or her nails they will never lift or come off for that matter. If they are not using electric files and mma then you Just have to concentrate on what you're doing perfection doesn't come over night I've been doing it over 12 years and feel theres still lots to learn. Concentrate on your prepping and not putting excessive amount by the cuticle. goodluck alixxxx

I had a prob with lifting even when I was using Creatives retention liquid, I always use acid free primer and nail fresh now just to make sure they wont lift. :)

Just to add to this:

The primary cause of lifting is under prepared surface - non living tissue left on, cuticle remover not washed off, shine not removed from corners or not fully dehydrated.

Secondary cause is your mix ratio and application, a wet mix will cause dramatic shrinkage and cause break down and lifting, touch soft tissue will also gaurantee lifting.

Gillian what you may find is that it was possibly your application that needed tweaking and the prep boosters helped while you worked on it. I went through this, then found down the track I stopped using both acid free primer and nail fresh and still get no lifting what so ever.

I'm not sure do they use the electric files do you know as if you find out they do they probably are using MMA as well read this thread on MMA which isn't good for her or her nails they will never lift or come off for that matter. If they are not using electric files and mma then you Just have to concentrate on what you're doing perfection doesn't come over night I've been doing it over 12 years and feel theres still lots to learn. Concentrate on your prepping and not putting excessive amount by the cuticle. goodluck alixxxx [/quote]

Woah a minute......if the salon are using electric files it does not necessarily follow they are using MMA. And just because it was mentioned that they are Thai it does not necessarily mean they are using MMA and e-files either.

It is perfectly plausible for Thai or Chinese nail techs to work in a good salon just as much as a bad one. Sorry to get on my high horse, but assumptions based on race are annoying.

I agree with Ali,in Leeds the tai nail bars use electric files and i suspect they use mma x

This is not based on race @ all it is due to the fact that none of their customers know wich products are being used on them and they are almost impossible to soak off,there are no certificates of qualification or insurance on display either and this can't be a good thing,draw your own conclusion!

x

Yes they may use e-files but they may be TRAINED to use them!!

There many people on here who use e-files and DO NOT use MMA.

E-files does not always equal MMA.

If you are of oriental background it does not mean you have an NSS salon and it is wrong to jump to this CONCLUSION.

Furthermore I do not display my certificates or insurance on the wall...does this mean I have no training and no insurance?? It certainly does not.

Yes I know there are many NSS salons that use MMA and I am not for a minute defending them....but all too often we assume a salon is NSS and using MMA without proof merely based on the fact they are Oriental.

Angela i do not mean to cause offence,i would make such a comment in a throw away manner and i would just like to REITERATE THE FACT THAT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE ETC IT IS MERELY A DEFENCE OF MY PROFESSION.I firmly beleive this to be true and the point i was making to Lainie is to not concentrate on someone elses work,perfect her own.I merely agreed with her from my knowlege in this city that this type of salon is nss and if i could prove they were using mma i would,leaving room for responsible techs within the industry.AnY tech who refuses to answer questions as to where they trained and what products they use is questionable in my book,if someone asked me i would not even hesitate.Don't you agree?
x

Well we shall agree to differ. I stand by what I said before. ;)

I take your point but stand by mine.

Agree to disagree !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care

x

The Lifting....have you tried leaving a slightly larger margin around the cuticle and side walls...when working pull these sidewalls back to open up as much of the nail plate as possible..,..also having zone 3 very thin and flush will help. xx

Thankyou everyone for your reply

I use ezflow l&p and i use a pre prep and primer before i apply the product. I think it may be my mix ratio or the filing of the natural nail plate. I onl.y file lightly to rough up the nail plate so I may need to concentrate on this more??

Lainy said:
I use ezflow l&p and i use a pre prep and primer before i apply the product. I think it may be my mix ratio or the filing of the natural nail plate. I onl.y file lightly to rough up the nail plate so I may need to concentrate on this more??

You don't need to rough up the nail plate!
You only need to remove the shiney surface, this can be done with a very light grit abrasive, such as a 240.

The more you file, the thinner the nail plate will become, especially if you concentrate more on the middle than the sides. Many techs do this when worrying about their prep. What I was stressing at is that you ensure then ENTIRE nail plate, right into the sidewalls and corners has the shine removed.
Hope that makes sense...!? ;)

Most techs when starting to gain skill really struggle to stop the zone 3 bead from hitting the living tissue (eponychium) and this causes lifting. Work on your mix and a smaller bead for zone 3

Latest posts

Back