Lifting without turning orange

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiexo

Reaction score
Help.. I'm doing a family members hair tomorrow, I'm newly qualified and just need a little advice, her natural hair is around a base 5. But she has her hair platinum blond, I've previously used a wella koleston 12/1 special blond.. With 2:1 40vol but it has turned her roots kind of yellow/orange.. Her roots have came through again and I'm just wondering what I could do to make it a nice light blond evenly all over. Any help would be great as I'm in a big panic xx

from a base 5 ur best to lift with lightener and tone. You won't get a nice clean platinum look with highlift

A highlift won't give you anything like a platinum blonde unless it's on something like a level 8.

Also, even if you were going to use a highlift on a base 5, 12/1 is certainly not the right one!

It's best to lighten the hair (carefully) and then to tone accordingly. You have to remind yourself, to always consider what you are starting with and dealing with after lightening. Remember your color wheel and which colors cancel oranges vs. yellows.

So what would you's recommend I do? And what I should get when I go the wholesales?

It's best to lighten the hair (carefully) and then to tone accordingly. You have to remind yourself, to always consider what you are starting with and dealing with after lightening. Remember your color wheel and which colors cancel oranges vs. yellows.

So what would you recommend I buy when I go the wholesales, could I not add a spot of blue bleach to that or am I wasting my time?

I would lift with lightener and tone. What color brands are you familiar with? If you are going to stick with wella, Illumina is great. I am a big fan of illumina for toning platinum blondes. It really depends on giving formulas over here because its going to depend on how light you get her. Does she like it WHITE, more of an ashy touch? A small violet hue? You are going to have some yellow tone to it...You have to formulate your toner to get rid of that specific tone, which just goes back to your colorwheel. 9/60, 10/1,10/61, 10/ and 1.9.

You are newer so i want to reiterate how important it is to NOT OVERLAP your lightener with the hair that has already been lightened. Also, precision is key, take small sections to make sure you arent missing any hair.

Wella koleston and matrix, it's just that her roots are so dark and she likes it platinum very very light, but ashy.. Could you step by step of what I should do? Should I use bleach (pre-lightener)?

I would lift with lightener and tone. What color brands are you familiar with? If you are going to stick with wella, Illumina is great. I am a big fan of illumina for toning platinum blondes. It really depends on giving formulas over here because its going to depend on how light you get her. Does she like it WHITE, more of an ashy touch? A small violet hue? You are going to have some yellow tone to it...You have to formulate your toner to get rid of that specific tone, which just goes back to your colorwheel. 9/60, 10/1,10/61, 10/ and 1.9.

You are newer so i want to reiterate how important it is to NOT OVERLAP your lightener with the hair that has already been lightened. Also, precision is key, take small sections to make sure you arent missing any hair.

Wella koleston and matrix, it's just that her roots are so dark and she likes it platinum very very light, but ashy.. Could you step by step of what I should do? Should I use bleach (pre-lightener)?

I need more help guys x

This site isn't for step by steps. We will give you advice but you need to think of formulas. If you cant think of a way to do this clients hair then you shouldn't do it. Scalp bleach and tone, simple, as already been told. You however need to decide how long its left on for and what toner to use. Do you have your level 2 and 3?

Level 2 and 3 what? And I don't appreciate being spoken too like a 12 year old thanks

Level 2 and 3 what? And I don't appreciate being spoken too like a 12 year old thanks

Thats some mature 12 year old i'd be speaking to if i was speaking to them about scalp bleaches and chemicals... Level 2 and 3 in hairdressing?

I was thinking lift her roots with bleach and tone but I'm more familia with matrix but I feel you get a better blond out of wella.. I would of just used ula and uln with 40 but with wella I'm not 100%

I was thinking lift her roots with bleach and tone but I'm more familia with matrix but I feel you get a better blond out of wella.. I would of just used ula and uln with 40 but with wella I'm not 100%

Okay so, what tones do you expose when you get to a level 10 that you'll need to neutralise?

Yellow/orange?

Yellow/orange?

If you're still seeing orange on a level 10 with bleach, its probably not a 10. You should be seeing pale yellow. Do you know the tones in wella?

Last time I done this clients hair, I used 12/1 on roots were it had gone dark. And it was Abit gingery so I was thinking add a scoop of bleach in this time? Or would that be wasting time? And no not really sorry

Latest posts

Back