Lighting in the salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suse82

Reaction score
I have just recently opened a salon, been open for 2 weeks now and everything seems to be going well the only thing that's bugging me is I'm not sure I've got the lighting right. I've used a track that goes right round the salon and added lots of spot lights to it using daylight led lights. I feel like I've created shadows, I do have an option to add more or add spot lights in the actual ceiling instead of more on the track. Or I wasn't sure if the type of bulbs I'm using isn't helping, I have frosting on my windows which I suppose doesnt help but I really wanted the windows frosted. Any advice would be appreciated.

Firstly, I'm no expert on lighting!

However, I've recently had extensive building work done at home and lighting was one of the areas I reviewed.

All LED bulbs are not equal.

Besides warm/cool light (kelvin) and number of lumens (brightness), another important consideration I learnt is to look at the beam angle of the LED bulbs. My first batch of led bulbs were a very narrow angle (about 35 degrees) and the room had light and shadow but not the effect I wanted. When I realised and swapped the bulbs for a 60 degree angle, it was a massive improvement. Conversely, if you go for a very wide angle of beam, it can make the light seem less bright as it's being spread out over a wider area.

If you're thinking of swapping the bulbs, just try one at a time to see what effect it produces. LED bulbs aren't cheap so you need to be certain before swapping a batch of them.

Hope this helps?

I have the same type of track lighting with daylight LED lights, you need to play with the position of them all to get rid of the shadows... maybe think of adding more onto the track?

Thanks, I never realised they came out at different angles. I have someone coming round today to fix spotlights into the ceiling to see if that makes a difference.

A lot of people have commented that the salon looks closed from the outside, I'm not sure if this is because I've used daylight lights, do you find this Arabianbeauty?

Iv got a chandelier at the front so the sparkles from that probably show that the salon is open, I think the daylight bulbs are just so bright they are white.. have you thought of putting any lighting at the front or in a window display?

Latest posts

Back