Limit on how much massage a day?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hols_21

Reaction score
I just wondered if there is a limit as to how much massage therapists in a spa should be doing a day? I absolutely love massage but i am doing on average 10 massages a day and sometimes more. I am finding my wrists and back are starting to really hurt me! I use a lot of forearm techniques aswell as using knuckles ect but are there any other tips I should be doing?

Wow....that sounds excessive to be honest.
I think there is a limit, but not sure what it is.
You will eventually have issues with your wrists if you carry on at that rate, so look into reducing the amount you are doing.

I'm sorry to say that this is the norm when working in a spa. I say that having worked in three.

The fact that it's the norm doesn't make it right but it's how it is in most places. It's definitely a job with a shelf life.

Ideally use it a springboard to get onto better things. A lot of people just use it as a means of getting experience on the cv.

Edit: from experience I can tell you do not push through the pain. There will come a point where it makes more sense to stop working in a spa. In my last job I wasn't even able to complete my notice period. They were good about it but yeah, know when to call it a day in the name of your long term health.

We arnt getting turnover time inbetween treatments either so its literally 1 after the other! I worked in a beauty salon prior to this and the treatments were very varied there, so just getting used to so much massage! Thank u though x

I personally would never book a therapist out anymore than 50-60% of the day doing massage and would put other treatments in between where possible.
But as laurakate says it is the norm in a spa to be booked out all day. Just make sure you look after your body. Stretches before and throughout the day (for hands and arms mainly) will help, even though you feel silly! Make sure you have good shoes, your bed is the right height etc.x

I just wondered if there is a limit as to how much massage therapists in a spa should be doing a day? I absolutely love massage but i am doing on average 10 massages a day and sometimes more. I am finding my wrists and back are starting to really hurt me! I use a lot of forearm techniques aswell as using knuckles ect but are there any other tips I should be doing?

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to the forum and I am not qualified as of yet. I'm starting a part-time course in September, but would you not be able to have a word with your boss/manager? Just tell him/her that it's beginning to affect you and you feel that you can't deliver as good a quality massage as you would like due to aches and pains. I'm sure they would prefer you did 5 top quality massages as opposed to loads of okay ones. Quality over quantity.

The trouble is that a lot of companies value profit over people and spas run a very massage dominant treatment menu. A lot of the time offers are on and there is no way most people will select a file and polish when they can get a back massage for the same price.

I'm not saying don't discuss it with your manager because some can be decent but at the end of the day they might be like "we're a spa. Massage is what we do. There's only so much we can do about it."

The only way to be totally sure of doing less massage is doing less hours if you work in a spa. Again, it's not right but it's been the norm in all three companies I've worked for.

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to the forum and I am not qualified as of yet. I'm starting a part-time course in September, but would you not be able to have a word with your boss/manager? Just tell him/her that it's beginning to affect you and you feel that you can't deliver as good a quality massage as you would like due to aches and pains. I'm sure they would prefer you did 5 top quality massages as opposed to loads of okay ones. Quality over quantity.

Laurakate, yes I see what you mean.

Still have a little chat with them, and hopefully, your place of work is understanding. Like the other girls have said, lots of stretching and looking after your body. And maybe on your day off treating yourself to a massage : P . Apart from that, I can't really be of any help.

I was doing a lot of massage in a previous job and eventually my back gave out and I had to take a week off in agony. I wished I had spoken to my boss before it got that far.

I would have a word with them about it and see if you can come to a compromise.

Make sure you maintain your posture when massaging. I think I got lazy as I got tired and that's where the problem came from. Pilates is supposed to be great for strengthening your core muscles which should help too x

I would check out habia but im sure that legally you cant do more then four hours of massage per 24 hour period. When i was training we were told this and although we worked on spa we were only ever blocked out for four hours for massage.

Back to back treatments is normal no matter what treatment you are performing, be it massage, facials or something else. With that in mind its time to up your time management if you are struggling with this. Make sure when you first come in that your set up for the entire shift and figure out an order in which to set up between each treatment.

As for injury from massage, this is so darn common and not from the amount of massage that is being done but the way it is being done. You need to put your full bldy weight behind each movement no matter what you massaging or if your using hands or elbows etc. Its all about posture and moving with the flow of the treatment. Once you figure out correct posture and using your body wieight for the treatment then you will feel a lot better. There is no reason a spa or massage therapist should have a 'shelf life'. Think about it, why can other massage and therapists in other countries manage a full career from training to retirement but we cant? Its due to students not being taught properly in posture and using body weight for massage. Here in training your shown a few techniques and told to get on with it. This i personally think needs to covered and in a lot of depth in training.

*sucks teeth in* I'm inclined to disagree. Massage is a job with a shelf life. There's a reason why most therapists in a spa are either newly qualified and or only a few years into their career.

It really does reach a point where no amount of posture tips and improvements can be attributed to the discomfort that comes with massage. I was confident in my posture and no hands massage for the majority of my time in industry and I still suffered poor health from doing it as did many of my colleagues who are now working in other industries as a direct result.

I'm not saying don't work in a spa. I'm saying know when to call it a day.

With self employment it may be different but in this country too many employers want their pound of flesh because they see staff as disposable. Seriously, why be in pain for minimum wage or slightly above it. In fact, even if they paid millions the pain is not worth it once it catches up with you.

@laurakate

We will agree to disagree on this one. I understand what your saying about employers and yes i agree that a majority sadly exploit staff and it doesnt help any underlying issues.

However how is it that therapists in other countries such as thailand for example who work longer hours weekly on more clients and can work from age of qualifiying through to retirement without the health issues that occur in our western therapists? Because they take care of their posture and put their full body weight behind them when doing treatments. As one of my tutors who has massive amounts of industry experience has said 'too many therapists quit because of health issues due massage, its not the massage and how many that are being done thats the problem. Its the posture and technique that is'.

And i have seen it first hand with younger students myself and upon showing them how to do it properly they no longer had wrist issues. The first thing they said? We were never told how to do this properly, just shown the techniques. And i can alao speak. I have lordosis and a dodgy right scapula. I struggle to walk long distances and sitting down for too long can also really hurt. But i can do my four hour massages five days a week because i do it properly. Yet i was the one who was told if it started to hurt then let my manager know so that my massage hours were reduced.

Wrists hurt because your working from the shoulder down to your hands. Put your whole body weight behind it and its not going to hurt because the energy will be going from your whole body into the client, not stopping at the wrists. You may find that the pressure is a lot deeper for the client as well.

And on a final note a big international company were sued by a therapist due to injury from massage. It was agreed that the hours were in breach of the amount that could be done per 24 hour period and that the therapist was trained correctly on posture and technique. Says it all doesnt it.

I think it's a bit problematic to say that all massage therapists who incur health problems from working in a spa full time are doing it wrong. I say that on the basis that this approach potentially places blame on the therapists who may be perfectly competent but are simply working for someone who asks for too much. It also potentially negates the responsibility that employers have towards their employees and that's not right.

There are so many skilled jobs where even with the best techniques used, being overworked is going to become too much. Singers, jobs that involve lifting, jobs that require sitting at a computer all day, driving, nurses who work 14 hour shifts etc etc. The human body has it's limits and where profit is concerned, many employers wilfully neglect that. Placing the blame on incompetence of the employees only creates a situation that seems to suggest that what they're being asked to do isn't extremely demanding when that is very much not the case.

I respect your view. I'm just passionate about my own based on where I'm at with things personally. I don't regret having worked in a spa but looking back I needed to give the warning signs my body was giving me credit sooner.

Last edited:
I would personally hate to do more than 3 massages a day so limit my staff to a maximum of 3 per day. Apart from anything else I'd die of boredom x

We are a beauty salon not a Spa so we have a lot more varied treatments, however I wouldn't do any more than 3 or 4 myself and I definitely would not expect a member of staff to. However I'm not sure there is a limit but as a Spa manager they should realise 1 they are going to make you poorly, 2 the client isn't going to get the best service and 3 turnover of staff would be high, but do they care???

Personally whilst you have this job, start looking for another and then leave.

I limit massage for my team to four a day, with no more than two back to back. Thankfully I've found this to be quite common. 200 years ago, when I started, it was common to do 9 hours in an airless cupboard!

I work in a very busy salon when on average four to six hours is the norm and I can't complain of any pains because I was trained in Thai massage where you use your body weight I rarely use my hands and since then I enjoy massaging so much more, I also make sure that I stretch properly and look after my posture I'm 40 this year and in much better shape than all the girls half my age at work .

I work in a very busy salon when on average four to six hours is the norm and I can't complain of any pains because I was trained in Thai massage where you use your body weight I rarely use my hands and since then I enjoy massaging so much more, I also make sure that I stretch properly and look after my posture I'm 40 this year and in much better shape than all the girls half my age at work .
Where did you train in Thai massage? Would love to know more [emoji3]

As the others said, unfortunately this is part of the package when you're working in a spa. This is why they have such high staff turnover, as it's not sustainable in the long term. They tend to take on lots of young college leavers who are desperate for a break in the industry, but most people I know tend to move on after a while.

As the others said, unfortunately this is part of the package when you're working in a spa. This is why they have such high staff turnover, as it's not sustainable in the long term. They tend to take on lots of young college leavers who are desperate for a break in the industry, but most people I know tend to move on after a while.

Exactly this. Even with excellent technique, it gets you eventually.

I didn't get to finish my aromatherapy qualification because I can't massage any more even for the purpose of an assessment. Tis frustrating because I use aromatherapy a lot at home but yeah.

For some, the pain can get to the point where they can't/don't want to do a massage again.

I enjoyed the work when I was able to do it but even with all the will in the world, my body just can’t do it now.

In all three spas I worked in, high staff turnover was common.

Latest posts

Back