Little more info/help re natural nail overlays

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole Lindsay

Reaction score
Hi all

Firstly thanx to Gigi for her advice on why the edges are going on the natural nail overlay that i did last week. I know that she advised that i need to make it a bit longer using a form but is it possible to do this without a form? If so, how?

Thanx in advance.

Caz xx

Carole Lindsay said:
Hi all

Firstly thanx to Gigi for her advice on why the edges are going on the natural nail overlay that i did last week. I know that she advised that i need to make it a bit longer using a form but is it possible to do this without a form? If so, how?

Thanx in advance.

Caz xx

Yes it is possible to do without a form, but you have to know what you are doing! :D When you place the bead (I think it helps if the bead is a tad drier than usual) in zone one, press it out so that it just hangs over the free edge and sides of the free edge. As the product is setting you can press and pat a few more times to make sure the whole of the edge is encased by the plastic.
There is always more than one way of doing things and I try to generraly suggest the way that is the easiest or the most 'fool proof' (if you will pardon the expression) method.

Thanx again for your help! Don't you get fed up having to answer all these questions???

I've not done sculpted overlays yet so which type of form would you recommend using? Paper, metal or plastic? I was planning on waiting until i felt more comfortable with L&P with no lifting before i went on to do sculpting but happy to give it a go on the natural nail overlay as you've suggested.

Carole

Carole Lindsay said:
Thanx again for your help! Don't you get fed up having to answer all these questions???

I've not done sculpted overlays yet so which type of form would you recommend using? Paper, metal or plastic? I was planning on waiting until i felt more comfortable with L&P with no lifting before i went on to do sculpting but happy to give it a go on the natural nail overlay as you've suggested.

Carole

:D No I don't get fed up :D I am a teacher!

I particularly like the Acra C forms and the Performance forms from Creative. I would NOT reccommend the 'horse shoe' paper forms at all.

I haven't tried them, but I believe EZ Flow also do a good form for sculpting ... there is lots of choice. The plastic and teflon forms (the ones with the little arms ... I do not personally like .. they leave too many gaps and paper is easier to customize if one needs to.

YES that's the way. Have a go ... givei t a try ... faint heart never won bugger all as they say in Yorkshire.

Ok, i've done exactly what you said not to do - i've bought the horseshoe forms which were the only ones i could get at my supplier (wanted to use them tomorrow so no time for internet). Can you advise me on how to use them until i get something different?

Carole xx

The problem with horseshoe forms is that they 'splay' out and tend to make very WIDE looking free edges UNLESS you pinch the form at just the right moment as the product is setting to create a finer, sleeker, rounder C curve. They also do not have as much 'guts' as other forms ... bit flimsy for my liking.

I call thse wide nails Egyptian hats!! Because if you look at the nails from one angle they look like litlte Egyptians with those fan-shaped hats on. Actually this is a Jan Arnold phrase from years ago but it does perfectly describe that look that so many sculpted nails have, when the technician is not quite au fait at sculpting nails!! :biggrin: Look in the magazines and you will see plenty that have this look.

So you will have to pinch the right curve or stick something under the form that will hold the form in shape while you scuñpt the nail. This may sound daft, but you can buy thin metal strips from a DIY shop that you can cut with sissors an stick up under the form to hold the shape in place.
Best just to buy a better type of form that helps instead of hinders you but I know you are keen to get going so .... whatever it takes!

Where would be a good place to get the better forms? I'm not qualified with Creative so cant buy stuff from them. I have seen paper rectangle forms on ebay (made by nail concepts I believe) - would you recommend these?

Hiya

You dont have to be creative trained to shop at designer nails you can buy everything except the L+P, they sell a coulple of different forms i quite like the gold rectangular forms you can pop the cirlcle out and support the front more, did that make sense??

Hi Tracy

Thanx for the tip (pardon the pun!) but i tried designer nails and when you look at retail price it says n/a so i dont understand. I also couldnt find the forms on the site - help!

Carole

Carole Lindsay said:
Hi Tracy

Thanx for the tip (pardon the pun!) but i tried designer nails and when you look at retail price it says n/a so i dont understand. I also couldnt find the forms on the site - help!

Carole

CALL them 0113 275 5719 and register and place your order ... so simple.
Forms are not a retail item so that is why it is n/a.
You will be payng wholesale prices as a professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back