Local competition

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajay

Reaction score
Hi Geeks! Long time no speak!

I've been lurking here and there, now and then, but life does get in the way!

I've moved house (AGAIN - but I'm now back with my beloved elephants :D) and there is a salon 4 doors down the street :( literally! My lease doesn't allow me to operate a business out of my house, which I'm fine with, I was hoping to do a few treatments mobile. But having been to the local salon's Christmas open evening this week and picked up a brochure/spoken to the owner (who is lovely) I've found she covers every treatment I'm trained in! And then some!!

How much am I stepping on toes to offer mobile treatments?
Would you say anything to the salon owner?
Any advice on prices in comparison to hers?
Other considerations?

I feel like I've hit a brick wall before I've even started! Any thoughts/advice? In the mean time, I'm off to catch up on everything I've missed/find new groups!

Hi Geeks! Long time no speak!

I've been lurking here and there, now and then, but life does get in the way!

I've moved house (AGAIN - but I'm now back with my beloved elephants :D) and there is a salon 4 doors down the street :( literally! My lease doesn't allow me to operate a business out of my house, which I'm fine with, I was hoping to do a few treatments mobile. But having been to the local salon's Christmas open evening this week and picked up a brochure/spoken to the owner (who is lovely) I've found she covers every treatment I'm trained in! And then some!!

How much am I stepping on toes to offer mobile treatments?
Would you say anything to the salon owner?
Any advice on prices in comparison to hers?
Other considerations?

I feel like I've hit a brick wall before I've even started! Any thoughts/advice? In the mean time, I'm off to catch up on everything I've missed/find new groups!

Don't let it put you off. You have a choice. You could offer to help her, she could call you in to do some treatments. You can go mobile instead/as well as, there's always those who can't get out of thier house. Don't worry about what you charge in comparison, you are offering to go to people's houses, so charge for that and your worth. Competition is healthy. Judge what she isn't offering, and home in on it.

It's good you checked them out, but let her know you exist, I bet she will be interested in you.

Thanks W1nnie.

I told her straight away that I'm qualified/insured etc. (I didn't want to feel like a spy if she found out later through someone else!!)

I'm not even going to attempt to get things off the ground in the run up to Christmas so I have time - maybe speak to her about it before my plans go too far...

I've always struggled with pricing. I guess it's start from scratch - work out every overhead/cost and add time/labour, but hers are a good guideline I guess?

Latest posts

Back