Location, location, location????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbee

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I would just like to know from all you out there that bit the bullet and decided to open up your own salon - how did you decide on the perfect location???

Something that is so overwhelming!!! Any advice and comments would be great.

A good location is somewhere that is highly visible with nice big windows for your posters and advertising,
on a main street or high street with plenty of passing trade,
not too much competition in the same area, some competition is good but you don't want to swamp the market with 10 salons in one row iykwim hth

Hi there,
when I decided to be a be a mobile I did a search of my intended area. I found out that there were enough people in the area that had disposable income and that was very important to me. Once I was happy with the are I got in touch with a printing company and did some really nice leaflets, business cards etc and posted them through some letter boxes. So that's where I pitched my area and I have clients who are loyal to me and whom I am loyal to also. You might want to search an are and find out what their disposible income is. :)

hi, Ihave bean thinking the same thing this week, if you found a good site in large area and only one other salon would you go for it ? thing is salons stright over rd :confused:. may i say the other one is 2nd floor !

hi bebeautiful, can i ask how did you find out about income ?

sorry :) didnt mean to take over newbee, i would like to know the same as you really.

Hey newbee,

Not sure if i can help as i'm just starting out myself. But location was definately the make or break for me, especially being based in London.
It's taken me 4 years to figure it out.

I had to first locate all existing businesses, no matter how small or large they were within, say a 1 mile radius, for my locality, it was the city fringe.
Then it was a case of pin pointing a good clear empty patch on the map. There were a few clusters on certain high streets, so I avoided those (as a newbie, I'm not ready to go up against the pros)
Then noted how close it was to transport connections.
Then how close it was to clothes/ shoes stores (where the material girls would hang out, lol).
Obviously researched the demographics of the location, present and future,i.e. what is the current density of the local population, what kind of social bands they fall into (income bands, young proffessionals?) and what are the future prospects for that location (and new upcoming housing developments, coffee shop chains popping up?)(beginning to sound a like property tycoon)

Then I waited, for the past 4 years I watched how the Industry market moved and how the locality had developed..

Obviously, i'm sure you don't want to wait years, but my best advice is to know your location. You may not be able to obtain desktop info such as income levels and the local population make up, so it helps to learn and know the community, as much as possible. Then I guess you'll have an educated intuition?

Oh, I don't know if the other geeks would agree, but how important is to be next to the foot traffic (as oppossed to being on an off road) and does what the neigbouring businesses do matter (cos i'm sure being next to a chippy, or yes, being opposite the competition doesn't help)?

Anyways, my method isn't exactly text book stuff, it's just kinda the way I did it. I hope it helps still.x

hi saya, i know wot you mean im looking at a faily big area only 2 other salons yep one smack bang over from place i want but lots of house's big small, new, old, lots ! wots a girl to do :confused:

I had little choice where mine was, but it's right next to a car park with a heavyish footfall. However, a lot of clients like some anonymity & don't necessarily want to be seen coming in & out of clinics with red upper lips & post-facial hair!

good point :green:

ditto,

I'd forgotten how embarrassed i feel when I walk out of my previous salon with a red face, fresh from the pain of waxing, lol

I'm off the main road and anticipate that I need to work harder to bring attention to my salon, as I won't benefit from bringing in people who are popping in just because they walked by it.

being on top of the competition, well, hmm..
I'll leave that for the established geeks and their thoughts on this.

Good luck in your whereever you decide.x

Being off the main road has its own advantages, sure you don't get the daily footfall, but with that comes an awful lot of noise & lack of privacy for clients. I've worked in a variety locations both on & off high street and my advice is play to your advantage; sell the exclusivity of being in a private location & on the quiet ambience of your salon - there's nothing worse for example than coming out of a nice relaxing massage onto a bustling high street with cars zooming by. Also non high street salons tend to have better parking facilities.

Latest posts

Back