Looking for Career Advice!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xInaGhoulina

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thanks for reading my post. Here is the situation i would like some advice on.

I graduated from cosmetology school 2 and a half years ago, and have been working at a chain salon since i graduated. I am not really happy with how i am treated by my company (constant discounts, coupons, disrespectful clients). I am working in a salon that is in a store that allows you to "save money, live better! [insert smileyface]" I have a few really good girlfriends i have made in the past two years, but i am unhappy with where my career is headed, i feel like it is headed no where.

We are a walk-in only salon, and i dont have many clients i see on a regular basis, if they come in and im not there, they usually just will take someone else, and 60% of our clients are elderly people (10% discount, roller sets and really mindless things) and children ($10.95 haircut, 50% of the time parents have found a coupon to make it much less, making my 38% commisssion worthless). I want to go to a salon where i can be the creative stylist like i am, but im scared! I feel like i am stuck, we dont get any education, and i am lucky if i ever make over the $7.50 minimum wage base pay.

Would it be strange of me to call around the city to some more 'high end' salons to maybe start over as an assistant stylist to really hone my craft, or should i just start passing out some resumes? I do good work, and i feel like i am doing alot more work than shows for my measley paycheck. Just wondering what i should do, my husband and i want to start a family soon and be financially stable, but i feel like that will never happen if i am working at these types of salons for the rest of my life. Advice, please, i am stuck and unhappy, but i am scared to take such a leap...

definately give out some cvs to some places that you think you would like to work. you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing this :)

best of luck with it :)

This takes me back to when I first started. I also worked for a smart _____ salon, currently I am employed by one of the highest end salons in Downtown, Pittsburgh, offering all beauty services. If you have talent and you have passion for what you do go for your dreams! My biggest challenge was finding a better quality salon who was willing to look past my discount salon past, it was hard to get an interview. I ended up listing the main chain salon name and quickly got hired to manage a salon. My biggest issue was.the big change in prices, after charging $14.95 for a cut to value my work at a higher price. I currently offer cuts at $34 men and $45 women. Its taken years of work to feel worthy of my prices. If you have a dream go for it! Message me if you want to talk and good luck!

*sorry for typos... Phone likes to "correct me"

thank you for the advice, it is being taken to heart, and i just need to muster the courage. My main thing now is, go for an apprentice-ship after 2 yrs in-salon experience, or just go try to be on the floor out of the gate, i dont want them to think that they cant groom me since ive been on the floor for a couple years, but i need more money!!

Many shops will permit you to do both. I personally felt like I could master anything and jumped in. The hardest thing is to learn about a new color line. I work for Premier and personally I love their style, always education, huge clientele and familiar to what I was used to. I love chain salons, it offers more security for me.Just remember if you dont value yourself, your clients wont either.

Latest posts

Back