Looking for some advice to update my skills

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leila Rose

Reaction score
I have Level 2 in Beauty but I trained 15 years ago and am now looking to get back to working in the industry, I want to refresh and update my skills but I haven't got loads of money to spend on training, there is a college near me that offers short courses, they have a threading course that's half a day for £75 or a 2 day VTCT course that's £150, has anyone done a course like this, I want to know if it's worth me paying the extra and doing the longer course, I'm wondering what can be covered in 2 day's just on threading? They also offer a spray tanning course, is it worth me doing this or can I teach myself spray tanning from watching online videos? I also want to refresh waxing but that's another £150 and again I am wondering if I can just refresh myself online, I'm looking to go mobile so I don't really need the extra qualifications just the skills to be able to do everything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

1. Firstly, you will need to obtain insurance for working on the public assuming because you will be working on a self-employed basis.
2. Insurance won’t cover you if you haven’t completed an accredited course in that treatment.

Check your original beauty transcript certificate as that should list all the treatments you are qualified to undertake. For instance, if you’ve done waxing as part of your level 2, you’ll still be covered. However, you might not be covered for intimate waxing, if it wasn’t covered in your course. You’ll need to check your paperwork.

All insurance companies determine their own policies, so you need to check with each one individually. Some might require you to complete some refresher training after a period of x years has elapsed since you were last working, others might not have a problem with your career break from beauty. It’s always best to check and get a response in writing in case you ever need to make a claim. Unfortunately, there are some dodgy clients out there who won’t think twice about trying to make easy money by threatening to sue over nothing. With a good insurer, your insurance company will deal with all the hassle for you.

If you need to train in a new treatment:
If you choose a course that awards an industry recognised qualification such as VTCT/VRQ etc., then you’ll be able to shop around for insurance and your qualification should be recognised nationally (and often internationally too).

If you go for short 1 day courses, they are usually accredited by a specific named insurer (that the training company has paid) so you won’t have much choice if you want to find cheaper cover. Additionally, if that insurer decides not to offer cover in the future, you might have to re-train on a course with another insurance provider.
This does happen from time to time.
For something like Spray tanning, that might not be a major issue as there are lots of courses out there at the moment, so it would be easy to find a replacement course/insurer.

Finally, if you think you might need to find paid employment, your employer will also be asking themselves these questions and you’ll improve your chances of a job offer if you have industry recognised qualifications.

Hope this helps and isn’t too confusing?

Thank you that's really helpful and makes perfect sense :) It's annoying that the VTCT courses are twice the cost of the other courses I have found but I guess they can charge extra for this reason.

Latest posts

Back