Looking to start mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natalieb1986

Reaction score
Im coming to the end of my NVQ2 Beauty Therapy trainning and will be qualified in june. i really fdont want to hang about i want to get straight into the industry as this is the career i want. i am not able to have a home salon and i have been looking at units to rent for a salon but i feel this may be a huge commitment so soon after qualifying. so im thinking of going mobile but i am really scared as i will be so new at everything and i dont want to make any mistakes or forget things. i know alot of you will say get work in a salon first but it is impossible as i have been looking and they all want nvq3 which i will be goin back to college to do in september.

so if people could please give me as much advice as possible about going mobile

thanks

hi, i started mobile in nov it is hard, you would need to advertise loads as i have learnt, i have had salon experience and i have a btec in beauty (but it did take over a year for someone to take me on without experience:irked:. The only reason i dont work in a salon now is because i cant do massage as suffer from repetative strain in my wrist. I wish you good luck just make sure you do all your research and maybe start off part time to build up clients. I put up signs in shops, on noticeboards, leaflet drops, signs for car, free tans on friends so they could advertise,

Would you absolutely not consider doing your level 3?
You really need to be very motivated being mobile and you need to keep up with training all the time (even after level 3) as you don't want to fall behind salons and spa's.
I know you really don't want to hear it but if Beauty Therapy is really the career you want I would advise doing your level 3.

Its also pretty nerve wracking going mobile and I have to say I'm glad I had the salon experience.

If your really not keen on working in a salon or doing level 3 maybe concentrate and push say Nails?

You could put all your attention into making sure you offer the best mobile service in that area or you could really train up and be wonderful at Brazilians!! So becoming known that way.

Good luck - hope it all works for you! x

as it says in my first message i plan on doin my nvq3 and i am very motivated thankyou becky where did u read that i am not.
bit insulting

Oh sorry hun, wasn't intended that way - misunderstanding!
Thought you were keen to get into a job like now - thought you weren't intending on doing level 3 - take it all back!

Pushing the nail or waxing biz was because I thought you weren't going to train in massage etc.
I certainly didn't assume you weren't motivated - just saying as a mobile (one) has to be!!

Last edited:
I have been mobile for over 10 years its really hard work and it took me at least 2 years to build a decent clientell you need to be very motivated remember if you dont go to work you dont get paid so you need to be constantly doing leaflet drops once you get a few people in youll find your business comes from word of mouth when i first started i worked in a salon for a year i hated it ive always wanted to be my own boss! so i rented a room at the back of a hairdressers to build up som clients then i offered them a home service and slowly built up that way but i will add clients wont just come to you you need to be out there promoting yourself where ever possible i took a part time job aswell in a shoe store 4 till 8 just for extra money till i had enough clients i always made sure i told the people that came in what else i did and made sure i had some cards handy to give with number on and a nice set of nails on im now so busy im finding im turning people away and am hoping to open my own salon but thats gone on hold as im pregnent!!!!good luck with what ever you do and remember if you want it bad enough youll get it its just hard work x x

Latest posts

Back