L'Oreal Platinum blue and also ammonia free on roots

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satchel

Reaction score
Client is a NB5 I lift/declor her roots every 4-6 weeks. Lift and tone roots. I'm curious about L'Oreal Platinum paste. Especially the ammonia free.

Currently use Goldwell Silk Lift on roots without heat and volume 20. Let sit for about 45 minutes. This brings it to about a level 9 with very little brass.

Researching the L'Oreal Platinum and ammonia free says lifts 7 levels. So far I like what I'm reading about the gentle properties of it. However, I don't know any stylists who have used it.

Thoughts on those who have used it on clients' roots to lift. Thank you

I adore the ammonia free (pink) - I used it in my old salon with 9% on the scalp for around 40 mins - the lift was so clean and pale that it didn't need a toner!! Natural base 6. Hair was left strong and healthy. X

I adore the ammonia free (pink) - I used it in my old salon with 9% on the scalp for around 40 mins - the lift was so clean and pale that it didn't need a toner!! Natural base 6. Hair was left strong and healthy. X

Thank you so much for the fast reply. From my research there is very little written online about these 2 "paste" bleaches. The pink especially sounds amazing for root/scalp clients.

Would you recommend on the 5 natural base go with the 9% with the pink ammonia free instead of the lower 6%? Developing time sounds similar to Silk Lift. It's that nice clean look I'm going for! Amazing didn't need toner. And I know I need their developers that go with it. Same as the Goldwell. Thank you! X

I used to have it on my hair and didnt like it. It drys hard and itchy xx

For on scalp it normally has to be a tad runnier other wise it could dry out quick. Being a paste/cream lightener it lightened faster without drying out as fast as what a powder lightener would. Platinium Blue is amazing for on scalp with 6% had a client level 5 Plat Blue + 6% for 45 minutes. Lifted to a perfect. Blonde! No need for toning as all the yellow was lifted out. Platinium pink is ammonia free platinin blue is not. Both amazing. Love it rather than powder lightener on scalp cause I find it drys out and needs to be reapplied.

I usually use the 1:3 ratio for on scalp. But for balayage I go 1:2 and it still stays moist for a long time. (Sorry for saying moist.. eugh)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you so much for the fast reply. From my research there is very little written online about these 2 "paste" bleaches. The pink especially sounds amazing for root/scalp clients.

Would you recommend on the 5 natural base go with the 9% with the pink ammonia free instead of the lower 6%? Developing time sounds similar to Silk Lift. It's that nice clean look I'm going for! Amazing didn't need toner. And I know I need their developers that go with it. Same as the Goldwell. Thank you! X

You can either go lower and slower with 6% or go for 9% - 9% is my personal choice in a busy salon environment where you have to get things done within a certain time frame x

Oh no :( Once it arrives will do a small part on my scalp and test. I had this happen with Silk Lift, but not each time and I did add more developer. Frustrating. X

For on scalp it normally has to be a tad runnier other wise it could dry out quick. Being a paste/cream lightener it lightened faster without drying out as fast as what a powder lightener would. Platinium Blue is amazing for on scalp with 6% had a client level 5 Plat Blue + 6% for 45 minutes. Lifted to a perfect. Blonde! No need for toning as all the yellow was lifted out. Platinium pink is ammonia free platinin blue is not. Both amazing. Love it rather than powder lightener on scalp cause I find it drys out and needs to be reapplied.

So little written about it, but what I've read it seems some love for scalp. Will remember to make a bit runnier if I have to. I will have both the blue and pink (ammonia free.) Did you ever use the pink with same client level 5 with the 6%? She's used to sitting on scalp for about 40-45 minutes with Silk Lift. Without heat. Now just debating which to use blue or pink on her. Both say 7 levels. Thank you for your input!

I usually use the 1:3 ratio for on scalp. But for balayage I go 1:2 and it still stays moist for a long time. (Sorry for saying moist.. eugh)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you! That's what I was thinking as well from instructions. 1:3 scalp and balayage same as you said. I feel the blue would be beautiful for balayage!!! (Vario swells with hand painting bleach, but so far Wella Blondor not too bad.) Hate that word, too, but what else can we call it lol

You can either go lower and slower with 6% or go for 9% - 9% is my personal choice in a busy salon environment where you have to get things done within a certain time frame x

Got it. Thank you. Client is used to sitting without heat for 40-45 minutes. Then again with 6% Silk Lift still have to do a toner. I have both blue and pink ammonia free arriving. I think now I have to figure out if the 5NB would lift well enough with pink ammonia free at volume 20 (6%) or I should do volume 30 (9%) Thank you xx Sometimes using 9% on scalp I worry about integrity of hair.

I have both blue and pink ammonia free arriving. I think now I have to figure out if the 5NB would lift well enough with pink ammonia free at volume 20 (6%) or I should do volume 30 (9%) Thank you xx Sometimes using 9% on scalp I worry about integrity of hair.
You should use the blue one with 20 vol.

You should use the blue one with 20 vol.

Thank you. Have you used the pink on roots with volume 20?

Also does it come with its own scoop or do I need another scoop? X Thank you!

I did a patch test on client and then used the Platinum blue paste volume 20 on roots. It was 1:3 ratio. In the beginning it seemed very nice and great. Almost like icing for a cake. But towards the end it became crumbly on the scalp and in the bowl.

Should I have added more volume? I also feel it didn't really grab onto the roots like other bleaches. I want to like this bleach, but trying for first time made me nervous.

Toned with Dia Light 9.01 and it all blended and looked verynice. However, I feel as if the ratio should be more than 1:3.

Thoughts? I know others said it was got dry and now I know what they mean.

Oh no :( Once it arrives will do a small part on my scalp and test. I had this happen with Silk Lift, but not each time and I did add more developer. Frustrating. X

More developer in Silklift will make it not lift as much, mix it with the 35ml recommendation.

I re apply every 15 mins to avoid it drying out with bleach, I can get a very clean 10 from a 5.

More developer in Silklift will make it not lift as much, mix it with the 35ml recommendation.

I re apply every 15 mins to avoid it drying out with bleach, I can get a very clean 10 from a 5.

Thank you. I did it once as I had about a 3cm spot left.

I also get a nice 10 with Silklift from a 5. Will keep in mind about re applying. I have several clients with a lot of hair. It's sometimes hard to fight my way through there to re apply. Of course easy on top and outer parts. More difficult interior.

I absolutely love the blue one. Lifts so nice with no yellow tones. I still tone afterwards as I feel you get much nicer finish but if u want the 7 shades lift u really will get it... Won't achieve the same with the pink though. I happily use 9% in scalp and not even an itch... It's stress free to use. I always put a plastic cap on while developing it stops the product drying out.

Mixing ratio I tend to do 3:1 and the add a little more after mixing.

Hope this helps a little. 😊

Thank you. It does help. I didn't feel as confident using for first time as I would have liked. I used 1 part bleach and 3 parts developer. The developer in pink bag per directions. 6% I used for on scalp.

But it started to dry out in the bowl as I worked on top last part of her head. That's why I thought the ratio needs to be slightly more. It was lovely to work with up until that point. And developed to the most beautiful clear blonde.

Maybe I should have made a new batch for the last part.

I absolutely love the blue one. Lifts so nice with no yellow tones. I still tone afterwards as I feel you get much nicer finish but if u want the 7 shades lift u really will get it... Won't achieve the same with the pink though. I happily use 9% in scalp and not even an itch... It's stress free to use. I always put a plastic cap on while developing it stops the product drying out.

Mixing ratio I tend to do 3:1 and the add a little more after mixing.

Hope this helps a little. 😊

Latest posts

Back