L'Oreal users...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammi74

Reaction score
Hi, I'm used to using Wella as was trained in it, but lately i havent been happy with some of the results so i want to change to L'oreal. I haven't
had any insight into their ranges can anyone tell me the differences between
the range they do, i.e: Richesse, HI Richesse, LUOcolour, Majirel, majirouge, and the list goes on! Really would appreciate any feedback as I want to invest in the right and the best products they do! Thanks!!! xxx

The main permanent range is majirel. Superb range. Majirouge are strong reds. Majimode are high lift reds.
Luo is a type of permanent with fast development time.
Diacolour is their quasi range (not my favourite I must add)
I have never used richesse so am not familliar with it.
Inoa turned into a bit of a disaster for us, and I discontinued it in the salons.

We have now taken on Redken permanent colours. We have been using their semi range shades EQ for years, and I think it is the best range on the market.

Thanks Persianista,

I've been looking into it a bit on the net and like the look of luo colour for perm tint, I usually do my mum's on a wella 33.0 as she is really dark and this
covers her grey really well. She wants to go for a mahogany red next time,
so I was thinking of scattering a few foils on first to lighten in areas and then use the luo colour over the top afterwards so the hi/lighted parts would show up a bit more. As I am used to the wella shade chart and not familiar with l'oreal, which colours would you suggest I use? i read that with luo colour you dont need to add any base colour into the mix to cover grey, is this true?
I just wonderd which shades you might go for when looking for a nice deep dark mahogany red/brown? and if you do need to add base which one would you suggest? She is naturally about a wella shade 4.0

MANY MANY thanks! I am looking into getting l'oreal charts when I can afford it!

With majirel you have two types of "base". You have normal as in 1, 3, 4, 5. 6 etc for addition to cool colours for grey coverage.
You then have golden bases ie, 4.3, 5.3, 6.3, 7.3 etc as base for warm colours. In Majirel a warm rich brown over grey would be 4.45 mixed with 4.3
In L'oreal the tonal numbers are;
.1 violet ash
.2 blue ash
.3 gold
.4 copper
.5 red
.6 mahogany
.7 green
So you can see it differs a lot from Wella.

The main permanent range is majirel. Superb range. Majirouge are strong reds. Majimode are high lift reds.
Luo is a type of permanent with fast development time.
Diacolour is their quasi range (not my favourite I must add)
I have never used richesse so am not familliar with it.
Inoa turned into a bit of a disaster for us, and I discontinued it in the salons.

We have now taken on Redken permanent colours. We have been using their semi range shades EQ for years, and I think it is the best range on the market.

can i ask why you got rid on Inoa , we currently use it but results are varied , sometimes i like it other times i dont.

whats majimode never heard of this before and were a loreal salon :S ?

Majimode are high lift reds.

I found inoa limiting to be honest. 95% of my work is colour so it is my personal subject. I found with inoa it is impossible to be subtle with colour mix. With majirel I can add an inch of this or that to tweak a result. With inoa I felt like I was using a sledgehammer. Plus it is the devils own job to get it out of the hair and scalp. The grey coverage was so-so too.
Am liking the Redken permanents a lot. I have switched to them after talking to Andrew Barton. The coverage is really dense on grey, and they wash off the scalp and skin like a dream.

Do you have to have a minimum spend with Redken, or can you just purchase a few products direct?

I have always loved Schwartzkopf but I am finding I am not get the grey coverage I used to. They have not announced they have changed their formula but I am suspicious, as I have not changed the way I mix.
I have tried Goldwell and Tigi over the last year and they are both translucent on grey coverage. :(

If you want Donna PM me your address and I will send you a couple of base colours to try.
I think you have to be a redken salon, but not sure what the initial outlay has to be. I don't think it is full range outlay though.
I would be a Redken salon in order to get my hands on their semi range. It is streets ahead of anything else on the market. Dia colour and colour touch just don't come close to how good this range is.

Oh and Redken high lift blondes make majiblond look muddy and brassy. Beautiful clean creamy blondes.

Thanks for your help Persianista,

I am such a novice at colour, I wish i could come and do an intensive crash course with you as you have so much experience! I may be being thick here,
(but my colour knowledge and experience is limited and i do want to be good at it) but why are there the differences in what you add to warm and cool shades when covering grey with l'oreal? I thought it was a flat base colour you added to the shade you selected? ooooh! it seems to get more and more complicated the more i delve into the world of colour, but i do enjoy it so much and I dont want to be so scared of it as i am at the moment!! Am a late starter (36) and not in a salon :-( so whatever i learn i have to really do it off my own bat in ,my own time etc! Thanks for your help xxx

Normal bases have green pigments added. These would muddy the reds and coppers. Thats why L'Oreal have the two bases. The idea of adding bases to tonal colours is to add depth or "darkness". If you add golden base to a copper or red, you get the correct depth, no root glow from the tonal element, but keep a strong vibrant colour rather than the dull reds/copers you usually see on coloured grey hair.

L'Oreal have superb courses called colour keys. These are usually two days each and are not expensive. Most people who do them leave very confident and competant with colour.

Hi Persianista

Hope you do not mind me jumping in. Would you be able to tell me if you can go to the loreal colour keys classes at any level?

Thank You very much appreciated :)

Majimode are high lift reds.

I found inoa limiting to be honest. 95% of my work is colour so it is my personal subject. I found with inoa it is impossible to be subtle with colour mix. With majirel I can add an inch of this or that to tweak a result. With inoa I felt like I was using a sledgehammer. Plus it is the devils own job to get it out of the hair and scalp. The grey coverage was so-so too.
Am liking the Redken permanents a lot. I have switched to them after talking to Andrew Barton. The coverage is really dense on grey, and they wash off the scalp and skin like a dream.

majimode sounds good

thats the problems were having with Inoa, coverage is hit and miss and you have to shampoo about 4 times to remove the residue, and thats with the inoa shampoo aswell. also found compared to majirel you use alot more colour for the same application , ie full head tint.

i will tell my boss were not the only ones disliking inoa

Hi Persianista

Hope you do not mind me jumping in. Would you be able to tell me if you can go to the loreal colour keys classes at any level?

Thank You very much appreciated :)

I beleive they are tailored to different levels of experience, from junior through to top stylist.

thanks thats really helpful, i get it now! And thanks for the info about the courses thats the kind of thing I've been looking for XX

Thank you very much persianista.

i think you can at any level, I phoned the L'oreal academy in Manchester yesterday and they run the 2 day courses every month, 28feb/1mar 6/7 apr
etc, and it's £229.

Latest posts

Back