Losing a much loved pet, heartbroken

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lala85

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I know this isn't nail related... but I had to have my almost 14 year old dog, Angel, put to sleep yesterday. She was my everything, my soulmate and best friend.... I've had her since she was 8 weeks old.
has anyone else been through this.
I am absolutely broken, my heart hurts.
We have her brother at home still, He's a little lost keeps looking for her [emoji25] which just hurts even more.
Sometimes it just nice to hear from people who know what your going through x
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1481022498.920904.jpg

image.jpeg Hi there, we went through a similar thing this year.

I had to have my jack put to sleep as he started to take a dislike to my son when he started to crawl. I'd had him 13 years and put it down to him being a grumpy old man but knew I had to do it for the safety of my son. I never really grieved over it as I knew it was the right thing but it genuinely broke my heart more than anything ever has and I've been though a lot.

Then about a month or so after we found out our 13 year old Rottweiler had bone cancer we had 15 weeks with him but that was so much worse as seeing him deteriorate was the worse thing in the world. Our children and us adored him. He really was the softest dog in the world. It is so lonely in our house now after losing them both but it does get easier I promise. Enjoy your dog while you can as give him as much attention as you can. He might pine for her for a while but spoiling him and taking him for extra walks will help. My Rottweiler never left my side after we had to have jack put to sleep and taking him on the nursery run etc helped him too.

It's true when people say there like family, we really will miss our dogs and the kids blow a kiss to the sky every night to say night night to them.

Sending you a big hug x

Hi. I lost my weimaraner at easter this year. He was fine and in good health 8 years old. One Monday morning I got up and he was so Ill he couldnd get up or eat. All he was doing was weeing and drinking. Thought it was kidney failure but while he was under for x ray they found a splenic tumour. We had the choice to take him home, put him to sleep or fight to save him. I opted to try and save him but half way through the removal he he heamoraged and passed away. We never got the chance to say goodbye while he was awake. We thought he would be home that night. The tumour weighed 22lbs in weight. And the only way I could see a way through was to know that up till those last days we gave him the most normal life. You've got to just know that you had the option to say your goodbyes and do what was best for your dog. As much as we want them here it's wrong to keep them in pain or Ill health. There's a lovely poem called rainbow bridge which made me smile. Take time to think of them and take comfort from talking about them everyday xx

I'm generally a cat person but your lovely Angel is gorgeous especially with her beautiful eyes. I can see how she'd break your heart. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had my ginger cat PTS in October and I still miss him. We adopted him and his mum from a rescue centre when he was about a year old and he was about 14 years old when he died. We lost his mum about 18 months earlier.

I'd never had a pet PTS before and I felt incredibly guilty for ages afterwards but he was very ill with cancer and I know we didn't have a choice. The vet was lovely (I knew her as a mum from school) and she came to ours mid-morning and sat with us for a while. She also sent a condolence card a week later, which I thought was a nice touch.

Just thinking about my cats brings a tear to my eye. My parents rescued a brother and sister when they were kittens and me a toddler. The girl sadly got run over at a very young age but the boy lived with us until about 2005? He was like my brother, as stupid as it sounds. I was there when he went downhill, after being unwell for a while. My dad and i took him to the vets and he was put to sleep- the needle had barely pierced his skin and he had gone; he was suffering so much. We buried him in a pet cemetery and no cat will ever compare. Even though I had my own cat, who would get her claws out if anyone else dared touch her yet I could pick her up and rock her like a baby! Unfortunately my parents had to move to temporary accommodation and give my cat up as my landlord won't let me have cats. I know she's been rehomed already but there's a big hole in my life where my kitty was :/ I feel your pain.

Thank you all for your replies.... I haven't stopped crying all day.
She was being privately cremated today and I will get her ashes back tomorrow.
I just can't explain the pain it's unbearable. I had her for almost half of my life... she has left a huge hole I will never fill xx

Zack was a wonderful border collie with a blue and a brown eye. He would play all day if he could do. When we were married, we took him to Gretna Green with us so he could be on all the photos because he was just as much a part of the family as everyone else.

When he left us we decided we wouldn’t have any more pets but now we have Nibbler and two border collies “the Girls”

It does get better in time so hang on in there. Spoil your dog rotten. I really do know what you’re going through and I’m sending you hugs xxxx

Thank you all for your replies.... I haven't stopped crying all day.
She was being privately cremated today and I will get her ashes back tomorrow.
I just can't explain the pain it's unbearable. I had her for almost half of my life... she has left a huge hole I will never fill xx

So sorry for your loss.
My dad is a vet and I have seen so many heartbreaking stories and beloved pets passing away.
It never is easy to watch a genuine case. (There were millions of Isidro owners who didn't deserve pets aswell but the genuine cases really break my heart)

Just so long as you know you have him the best years of his little doggies life then you did good by him. Some pets are in your life to help you in certain stages .
I believe the best age for a pet for example is when we are young and single and living away from home so that pet becomes your first "child" your first responsibility and just fills a void and spot which can't be replaced.
Sadly pets never live long enough , is my view. But we are given them on earth by God to look after and they give back so much love . It really is amazing.

Time does heal a heart broken but you will always miss your doggie. Don't let anyone force you into getting a new puppy too soon. When the time is right, the right puppy will become available. (Is my only word of advise )

Sorry for ur loss xx

Thank you... I have Angels brother, sully and I don't intend to get any other dogs, Angel was my soulmate in animal form.
Sully is my priority now, he's 13 and I want his last years to be the best for him. Losing Angel is one of the hardest things I've ever been through. All your comments mean a lot, thank you all xx

Latest posts

Back