SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jencam

Reaction score
Hi ...I'm hoping someone can help with my rollercoaster of a mess hair colour.

I qualified as a hairdresser in 1990 but only worked a couple of years, therefore little experience.

Three yrs ago I went through breast cancer ( mastectomy, chemo, radio, hormone treatment & forced menopause) & lost all my hair which devasted me as Id always had lovely long thick hair ( profile pic). As it started growing back I had bleach blonde highlights at the hairdressers & had them topped up last January. Then with lockdown & my compromised immune system from chemo I did the roots myself old school, pulling through the cap with welloxon 40 vol & Blondor. Have done this a couple of times & each time it's damaged more & more especially around the front. Last week I had the brilliant idea (not) of using Illumina 6/16 on root area with 20 vol & combed through diluted last 10 mins, thinking it would be less contrasty, kinder on my hair & I love the whole ashy/grey/blonde look. This worked out ok-ish but I still felt to dark & was on the purple hue side .. So I did the most stupid thing ever yesterday, put Illumina 9/60 over the previous colour 6/16 & we all know that doesn't work, in fact it's gone slightly darker. I feel such a fool!

So my question is- Do you think it would be ok in a couple of weeks to risk going back to my highlight routine ( bleach with 40vol) & I'll try toning the whole hair after with Illumina 10/69 & pastel 1.9%?
Another option is giving up on the whole blonde bombshell look & going for a medium blonde with lots of ash similar to photo #1 ( my wig when I lost hair).

As you can see in the photos my hair is in terrible condition & all my own fault. I use heaps of Moroccan oil as my hair is naturally very frizzy & curly .. I was curly before but since chemo its come back almost fro like.

I should add my base colour is probably 5 with patchy 20% grey.

Attached photos=
1) My wig
2) Last month before adding Illumina 6/16
3) Last week after adding Illumina 6/16
4) Example of what I want to achieve

Any advice would be amazing, I'm close to tears as its taken 2yrs to grow my hair to this length & now I've ruined it by not educating myself enough. If someone could be so kind to put me on the right path. I can't wait for hairdressers to reopen as I still won't feel safe due to my immune system.

Thanks in advance~Jenny.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 2.5.jpg
    2.5.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 52
Hi ...I'm hoping someone can help with my rollercoaster of a mess hair colour.

I qualified as a hairdresser in 1990 but only worked a couple of years, therefore little experience.

Three yrs ago I went through breast cancer ( mastectomy, chemo, radio, hormone treatment & forced menopause) & lost all my hair which devasted me as Id always had lovely long thick hair ( profile pic). As it started growing back I had bleach blonde highlights at the hairdressers & had them topped up last January. Then with lockdown & my compromised immune system from chemo I did the roots myself old school, pulling through the cap with welloxon 40 vol & Blondor. Have done this a couple of times & each time it's damaged more & more especially around the front. Last week I had the brilliant idea (not) of using Illumina 6/16 on root area with 20 vol & combed through diluted last 10 mins, thinking it would be less contrasty, kinder on my hair & I love the whole ashy/grey/blonde look. This worked out ok-ish but I still felt to dark & was on the purple hue side .. So I did the most stupid thing ever yesterday, put Illumina 9/60 over the previous colour 6/16 & we all know that doesn't work, in fact it's gone slightly darker. I feel such a fool!

So my question is- Do you think it would be ok in a couple of weeks to risk going back to my highlight routine ( bleach with 40vol) & I'll try toning the whole hair after with Illumina 10/69 & pastel 1.9%?
Another option is giving up on the whole blonde bombshell look & going for a medium blonde with lots of ash similar to photo #1 ( my wig when I lost hair).

As you can see in the photos my hair is in terrible condition & all my own fault. I use heaps of Moroccan oil as my hair is naturally very frizzy & curly .. I was curly before but since chemo its come back almost fro like.

I should add my base colour is probably 5 with patchy 20% grey.

Attached photos=
1) My wig
2) Last month before adding Illumina 6/16
3) Last week after adding Illumina 6/16
4) Example of what I want to achieve

Any advice would be amazing, I'm close to tears as its taken 2yrs to grow my hair to this length & now I've ruined it by not educating myself enough. If someone could be so kind to put me on the right path. I can't wait for hairdressers to reopen as I still won't feel safe due to my immune system.

Thanks in advance~Jenny.
I'd scrap the idea of blondor and 40vol.
You'll get a much better result using blondor and 20vol.
You'll have to be careful now, as you explained there's damaged hair, and although it probably looks less damaged now it's covered over its still there.
Your best option is to use a professional colour reducer.
This will shrink the colour molecules small enough that they can be rinsed out.
This would be the kindest option for your hair.

I'd scrap the idea of blondor and 40vol.
You'll get a much better result using blondor and 20vol.
You'll have to be careful now, as you explained there's damaged hair, and although it probably looks less damaged now it's covered over its still there.
Your best option is to use a professional colour reducer.
This will shrink the colour molecules small enough that they can be rinsed out.
This would be the kindest option for your hair.

WOW thanks so very much @ronray for your advice. So just to clarify as Im numpty ...First, use a colour reducer, then highlights (blondor & 20vol) & finally tone? Also is there a colour reducer you could recommend?

WOW thanks so very much @ronray for your advice. So just to clarify as Im numpty ...First, use a colour reducer, then highlights (blondor & 20vol) & finally tone? Also is there a colour reducer you could recommend?
Well you need to use you're discretion when you choose to highlight it as the hair is already sensitive / damaged.
You may find that after the colour remover you'd be considerably lighter and may not need to highlight.

Huge thanks @ronray ...& much-appreciated :).

Latest posts

Back