Lost my confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noisysmurf

Reaction score
Morning all :)

Wondered if any of you could offer some advice.... i've recently qualified in Gel Nail Extensions, Mani/Pedi & Soak Of Gels done a few on friends/family but i'm not getting enough practice.

Done Soft Gels for my sis in law for her holiday and she said they barely lasted a week :( But for some reason i've done soft gel on myself twice now and i struggle to get it off! Lasts for ages on me so i dont understand where i'm going wrong.. surely if i can do it on myself i can do it on other people...??? Done soft gel for my aunt also weeks ago and not heard back from her for removal so wondering if they had come of too (she's quite stuck up and a lady of leisure so embarrassed about contacting her)

My hubby keeps moaning at me that i need to get some business to start earning an income but i feel to scared! I'm dreading finding new clients and if my nails are not lasting dont think i can deal with complaints and refunds... feeling low about the whole thing, spent a fortune on the courses and now i dont even know if i want to do it :/

Can anybody offer some advice?

Thanks
x

Several things to think about

Firstly start at the beginning - is soak off gel the right product for this client's nails? Why did they come off? Peel, chip, flake what was it. Do they need something stronger?

How confident are you that the client hadn't done something to help them off? A LOT of people pick away as soon as they get a bit of a lift to grab on to.

How much did you overhype the product as 'it lasts weeks on me' because if you've done that (I have myself) then people just trash them and don't look after them - they just assume they are indestructible.

Advice- you need models who will work as hard as you. I had two set people who I used who worked as hard as they could to look after their nails once I'd applied enhancements. I explained I need to know if the problem is ME, you you need to look after the product (use solar oil etc) not trash your nails, and let's not have them too long. Only then will you be absolutely sure you are the problem, if in fact you are - it could just be them!

Your hubby - explain to him that enhancements take months/ years to master if you're doing it regularly so he needs to be patient. Also add most business run first year as a loss, second break even and third year enter profit. You and your husband need to be realistic and then you won't waste your energy worrying about that side of it, instead focus on improving skills and getting customers.

Also - if you're feeling low in confidence I recommend getting a 1-1 with your trainer to help spot any mistakes you make during application.

Keep at it hon xxx

Well done on passing your courses that's the first step done :)

Don't be scared practise makes perfect your not going to be amazing straight away hunny.

If your husband wants you to get business in him send him to work with some of your business cards or price lists and make him tell people about you and what you offer.

When your bringing new business in do an opening offer explaining that as your new and wanting to gain experience you will knock 20% off there first visit and then when they come back you could give them 10% off that way your bringing in clients and when they come back get them to fill a form in about what they thought of their nails,the experience, how long they lasted, would they recommend you to a friend. That way your getting feedback and if it's bad you work on it untill you keep getting better and better.

Don't worry sweet you will get the hang of it and you will be booming this time next year.
Good luck xx

Morning all :)

Wondered if any of you could offer some advice.... i've recently qualified in Gel Nail Extensions, Mani/Pedi & Soak Of Gels done a few on friends/family but i'm not getting enough practice.

Done Soft Gels for my sis in law for her holiday and she said they barely lasted a week :( But for some reason i've done soft gel on myself twice now and i struggle to get it off! Lasts for ages on me so i dont understand where i'm going wrong.. surely if i can do it on myself i can do it on other people...??? Done soft gel for my aunt also weeks ago and not heard back from her for removal so wondering if they had come of too (she's quite stuck up and a lady of leisure so embarrassed about contacting her)

My hubby keeps moaning at me that i need to get some business to start earning an income but i feel to scared! I'm dreading finding new clients and if my nails are not lasting dont think i can deal with complaints and refunds... feeling low about the whole thing, spent a fortune on the courses and now i dont even know if i want to do it :/

Can anybody offer some advice?

Thanks
x

This worries me more than the rest of your post to be honest. :hug: Are you sure you are cut out to do this job at all? Everything you mention above, is ALL a part of running a business ... you get complaints, you have to go out and attract clients, clients do expect their service to last so your choice of the nails you apply to is very critical to that longevity, you have to be good at dealing with the public. When you love your work you are obsessed by it not appalled at the thought of it.

Running a successful business is about allot more than doing the NAILS! This is why so many never make a go of it because they have NO business training or experience when they start out. Fancy, setting up a business with no business training (well that is what most people do in the nail business .. crazy isn't it?) Who else with a serious intent would invest in a business who had no business experience? We nail technicians do, that's who!! lol But you don't have to.

Either get some training on the aspects of the ob that frighten you, i.e. interpersonal skills, sales training, marketing etc. or maybe the job is not for you. This is practical advice ... you have had other good advice in this thread too. Look at all aspects and see what you can do to improve the situation. You are not alone at feeling out of you depth with complaining clients BUT you can have training and learn to deal with those complaints to get a positive outcome for all parties.

Here is an article I wrote about this very subject:

http://www.salongeek.com/business/51249-show-you-confident-yourself-your-work-some-tricks.html

Thank you for your replies :)

I have qualifications in customer service etc and have management experience but it would seem that since i left work to have my daughter 3 years ago i have lost all of my confidence in anything & everything that i do :/ I want to be awesome at nails! Suppose i am just a little inpatient and don't like the embarrassment of a customer telling me their nails have not lasted...

Think i will look for some models and get plenty of practice in and actually get some proper feedback from them.. as i did some gel extensions on my best friend twice now and she NEVER contacts me to infill or remove she just ends up picking them off!!! I've had a moan at her to ask if she can give me feedback and rectify any problems etc.. but she is a nighmare!!

My hubby will have to wait as i'm not ready to go out in the real world with this yet

x

Good for you hon. It's good to come on here to touch base with others out there in the same sort of boat too.

Just regarding your friends - I had to be really really harsh with them about picking etc. I tried asking nicely, nagging a little, moaning at them when they were bad etc but no good. I had to be straight and say - either do as I say or I'm not doing them on you. Then it worked. My hairdresser (a friend) has the same approach. I'm crap with my hair but she says to me - I'm doing your hair for free, I own your hair so do what I tell you. I say the same about friends' nails (when they are modelling) those are my nails, I did them, you had better look after them. Sounds harsh but it really worked!!

You'll get much better with good models xx bad ones just knock your confidence

Thank you for your replies :)

I have qualifications in customer service etc and have management experience but it would seem that since i left work to have my daughter 3 years ago i have lost all of my confidence in anything & everything that i do :/ I want to be awesome at nails! Suppose i am just a little inpatient and don't like the embarrassment of a customer telling me their nails have not lasted...

Think i will look for some models and get plenty of practice in and actually get some proper feedback from them.. as i did some gel extensions on my best friend twice now and she NEVER contacts me to infill or remove she just ends up picking them off!!! I've had a moan at her to ask if she can give me feedback and rectify any problems etc.. but she is a nighmare!!

My hubby will have to wait as i'm not ready to go out in the real world with this yet

x

I'm so glad to hear that you have that experience !! THAT is a great start for you and allot more than most have when they start out!

My advice is completely different, and I think you are ready .. I would say get stuck in right now and get your feed back from the ones who count ... the clients. BEST WAY. Your practice clients never give good feed back and also put no value on the service you give ... the feed back will be the same anyway from both groups, as some clients will pick and trash what you do and others wont. You will have to deal with complaints all your working life occasionally so get stuck in and get going. The longer you put it off, the worse it will get not better. You don't sound like a namby pamby person to me ... just do it.

Thank you & Thank you Geeg!

Think you have given me the kick up the bum that i needed!

Being off work for 3yrs has dented my confidendence but i'm determined to make this work!!

Thank you!! :)

I can understand how you feel - I have had bad confidence issues with nails - but you will be fine, honest.

All the best xx

Hiya
I did notice from your post that you said you did your sisters nails for her holiday. I thought it might be worth mentioning that if she's been applying sun cream and not washing her hands and getting it off her nails straight away then this can cause lifting.

Latest posts

Back