Love, Support, Dedication, Skills & Care

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taggyboy

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to post this or whether I am allowed to quote the following here. But I thought it excellent and for those who do not receive the magazine I have taken the article from, could and should learn from it, basically because:

1. It is so true
2. It applies to so much more than just the beauty industry, it applies to many industries
3. Personally of late I have been affected by such behaviour

Happy reading

Love, support, dedication, great skills & care = the beauty professional
In my personal experience lately i've seen a trend that has not had me smiling (to be honest rather shocked me), and so thought i'd bring it up as i see it as bizarre and against the beauty industry grain. What i've experienced in two very separate, yet both beauty-related, situations is that in order for one person to succeed they feel the need to hurt or sabotage another to get where they believe they want or need to be.
This goes against all i hold close and feel tender about inside this beautiful industry. How can we profess to love the inner and outer selves of our clients if we choose quietly to hurt an industry colleague for personal gain? It simply does not ring true to our calling if in some way we feel comfortable being unkind, selfish or manipulative in our manner.
I am truly appalled at times to see what lengths people will go to in order to get what they want, but when i see it in the beauty industry, it truly incenses me. Please lets remember why we chose this amazing industry. Let's recognise what we can learn from each other; let's look at each other with kindness, fondness and respect then we can all move forward together, each learning new skills and being inspired by one another. I think we've all been on the sharp end of unkindness at some point in our lives, let's not bring this negativity into our salons, treatment rooms and nail arenas - a happy team, a respectful team, forming friendships with mutual guidance, acceptance and respect, in my world is always a WINNING team!
unquote

Very sad post Debbie. Have been stabbed in the back myself by someone I thought was my friend though, so I do get where you're coming from. Hey ho, karma will be back to bite them...

Anyway, we are not all bad. You and me are ok:hug: (Flowers lasted ages thank you!)

Hi Zoe

It is sad but unfortunately even me posting this, others will still insist on bringing the industry down.

How's baby bump?

Glad the flowers lasted well, I'm still trying to find time for a hot stone session lol!

I completely agree with the sentiment of the quote, but I don't think it's an issue restricted to the beauty industry.

oh my god! I love who ever wrote this. its eactly how I feel about this industry I love so much!

tigi

Really good quote, so true...thought I would add another one I like (apologies to all the men out there, probably a suitable quote for them somewhere, I have just never seen it)

“There is a special place in hell for women who don't help other women.”
― Madeleine Albright

Applies in both work place and personal life. x

I completely agree with the sentiment of the quote, but I don't think it's an issue restricted to the beauty industry.

Agreed, I was meant to put that so edited slightly

from Debbie's HTC Sense

oh my god! I love who ever wrote this. its eactly how I feel about this industry I love so much!

tigi

Yes me too, worded so lovely and very true! ☺

I took the quote from Alex Fox, Editor of Scratch.

It really does sum up perfectly, how, in my opinion, a professional should act, no matter what industry.

Debbie

I read my scratch today and saw it , it has inspired me so much that I am busy rewriting my academy manuals etc.... I have even got carried away and out a thread on nail geek part.

xxx

Just seen your thread and well done on thinking about ways for us to incorporate it.

I'm not that clever :(

from Debbie's HTC Sense

I like to think that you can earn an honest living by trading honourably. I'ts excessive greed that has resulted in the anti-capitalist protests and riots seen recently.
Unfortunately, the truth is that any new businesses can only gain a client if an existing business loses one. After all, probably all prospective clients are already having their nails etc done already. Those that aren't probably wouldn't pay to have them done anyway, but a personable service and a professional approach, together with astute business sense should be the way forward. Not the "dog eat dog" ruthlessness that is sometimes seen.

There is profit to be made in this industry, and if that profit was shared fairly, then the wages of the industry workers would be closer to what their true worth is, and many girls who just want an honest job wouldn't be forced/tempted into self employment which, as we all know can be a minefield.

Perhaps some of the "dirty tricks" are borne from desperation as young people struggle to support themselves in this difficult time. The difficulties, in my opinion, are not their fault, but the failure of successive governments to provide the only thing that is needed in the country, and that is not cheaper borrowing as we hear all the time in the media, but simply JOBS.

But I digress.................steps slowly off the soapbox!

Michael x

Very timely, Debbie.

I have to attend a meeting this afternoon because a nail tech, actually our team leader, bad-mouthed a hair stylist to a client and I witnessed it. What purpose did that serve?

We in the beauty industry are a team...a family. There's no need for that behavior. We're suppose to uplift each other, not destroy each other; tarnish each other's reputation, personal or professional.

I don't understand it. I really don't.

Last edited:
Sadly this is why I chose to work alone.

Stealing this.
-Me too, that is such a great quote!

Alex Fox's article also touched me, I have made some lovely nails and other industry friends along the way, and I have also had my head put on a stick by another - mainly down to jealousy for whatever reason it was.. best of both I guess and it is lucky it is like water off a ducks back to me (no one will break my confidence !!! :D) but I feel that there is absolutely no need to bring others down, whatever stage of their journey they are on, whatever situation.

We are all in the same boat at the end of the day, lets all not rock it til it capsizes :Scared:

Very timely, Debbie.

I have to attend a meeting this afternoon because a nail tech, actually our team leader, bad-mouthed a hair stylist and I witnessed it. What purpose did that serve?

We in the beauty industry are a team...a family. There's no need for that behavior. We're suppose to uplift each other, not destroy each other; tarnish each other's reputation, personal or professional.

I don't understand it. I really don't.

Oh gosh no, what is the matter with people. They must have so much pent up anger and what a position to put another colleague in

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Latest posts

Back