"Loyal" client gone elsewhere!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly123

Reaction score
Hi all
I have been working from a small Salon I have had built at home. A couple of new salons have opened nearby, one is in someone's home and the other is a salon that's been going for years but has just changed hands for the 5th time in 4 years!
As its a small village it's hard to get clients, so I value the ones I have however I have noticed that 2 large families have started too g to the other hairdressers (I've saw it on fb) I am truly upset by this! I've gone over and above doing things for them 7days a week and late into the night on several occasions. This feels like a kick in the teeth! I know clients are free to go elsewhere but aaaarrrggghhh, I've really looked after them! Soooo frustrating!
I had a lady in for a wet cut who used to go to the Salon (the one that's changed hands a lot) hair haircut was awful, they had even shaved off her cow lick! This is the only person I've managed to steal from them. My prices are reasonable, I bend over backwards to fit people in at times to suit them. What have I done?

Nothing. You've done nothing wrong.

They'll probably be back.

The only thing i will say - is when they do come back. DO NOT bend over backwards for them. Be busy a couple of times that they want an appointment.

Think of it like a boy that fancies you - if you give in straight away he goes off you ,if you make him chase you a bit, he likes you more!
Silly example I know.

But if you respect yourself, and your business. then they should too.

Chin up chickie x

Yep it happens in business.... don't take it personally . People like a change every now and again. They think nothing of it.
Just keep smiling and be pleasant and professional

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

The best thing you can do when working for yourself is to grow a thick skin. Don't think if a client goes elsewhere that it is about you.... It is about them. For whatever reason, they want to go to the competition. Be professional, and don't get hurt feelings. When you let your feelings get involved you lose perspective. All of that being said, I know it is hard to do. :hug:
Just keep on giving great customer service without giving too much of yourself.

Thanks, just wanted to vent my frustrations! In total I've lost the mother and 2 daughters from one family who were all colours and 3 sisters two of whom were colour. Really peeved, as I just work part time so this is a BIG loss for me, I've been doing all their hair for around 7 years and always tried to keep it different and never got complacent. Now I just need to try to replace them......

I know as a small, one woman business, it's hard not to take it personally, and the impact on takings is tough to swallow too, but like the others have said don't take it personally.

Is it possible the other salon have offered them a deal and they are taking advantage of it? Who knows? Maybe one popped in out of interest and was offered a BOGOF or special so the sisters/mothers/cousins/whomever are taking advantage of the deal. Lets face it, we're all short of cash and a freebie/deal is attractive. Yes it would be lovely if all our clients were loyal and would never consider going elsewhere but then we'd never get new clients either would we?

Stay professional, chatty and smily when you see them in the village, no-one will come back to you if they sense 'sour grapes'

Stay strong :hug:

I know as a small, one woman business, it's hard not to take it personally, and the impact on takings is tough to swallow too, but like the others have said don't take it personally.

Is it possible the other salon have offered them a deal and they are taking advantage of it? Who knows? Maybe one popped in out of interest and was offered a BOGOF or special so the sisters/mothers/cousins/whomever are taking advantage of the deal. Lets face it, we're all short of cash and a freebie/deal is attractive. Yes it would be lovely if all our clients were loyal and would never consider going elsewhere but then we'd never get new clients either would we?

Stay professional, chatty and smily when you see them in the village, no-one will come back to you if they sense 'sour grapes'

Stay strong :hug:

That's a great way of putting it.
We all steal clients from other salons, but we must make sure we are head as shoulders above the competition, giving quality services and a good price to go with it, amazing customer service and a nice atmosphere. Think where you can improve and use this experience as a chance to find where you can get better and retain clients xoxo

dont worry, clients will always go for deals and some just to be nosey at the new salons!! its nothing that you have done its just the way it is.

i have to say though from reading your thread as hard as it is you have to distance yourself from clients and not be too emotional, also bending over backwards gets you nowhere, clients need boundaries.....its the same as having kids, give them an inch and they will take a mile and then they will try to keep pushing that inch!!

Hi Kelly

Sorry to hear your having a rough time of it but unfortunately this is business. As has already been said clients will move and try others so just keep your fingers crossed that they may come back.

Maybe due to the hours you do they needed a little more flexibility in terms of days etc. even though you have bent over backwards for them in the past.

One thing I wouldn't recommend is to put an offer or reduce your prices in order to get them back. It's a war not worth fighting. I also wouldn't recommend looking at the facebook page of the new business as this will drive you crazy.

Be professional, be strong, your business will recover from this. Try to entice new clients in, get advertising on your facebook page and maybe offer an extra freeby, giving new clients a conditioning treatment for every cut and finish you do.

Don't write them off as never returning, we've had similar and some do return.

Big hug and good luck

Last edited:
First thing to remember in business... Clients are not loyal!

Hi everyone
Thanks so much for your comments. I have known a lot my clients since I was little so it has got emotional for me, but yes chin up and get over it. I just needed some words from people who understand ie not my hubby!
Am going to create a Facebook page, I haven't to needed to do this as yet, and will drop a lot of leaflets through doors in the next few days.
Any other suggestions welcome!

But thank u all your words have meant a lot!

:)

Hi everyone
Thanks so much for your comments. I have known a lot my clients since I was little so it has got emotional for me, but yes chin up and get over it. I just needed some words from people who understand ie not my hubby!
Am going to create a Facebook page, I haven't to needed to do this as yet, and will drop a lot of leaflets through doors in the next few days.
Any other suggestions welcome!

But thank u all your words have meant a lot!

:)

Don't wind yourself up, it's not worth it. With the way money is lately not alot of people can afford to stay loyal, especially with things like group-on... Who turns down a deal for a £7 cut Blowdry and treatment? Even if it is just a one off.

The facebook page and leaflet dropping is a fab idea to keep your business out there, someone may of heard of you a year ago and your dropping a leaflet through their door could refresh their memory an book with you! Also try an add in your local newspaper? Do you have any of those freebie newspapers? We have one called 'the topper' it's fab to look for local business. Good luck xxx

I had a family who I used to do for years and have always bent over backwards for them.
Getting them in short notice, being there until late at night etc.
However they are always going off to other salons every now and again and it does my head in, no loyalty whatsoever…
One of them text me after months of going to another salon for haircuts, she asked for an appointment.
The message read “ Hi its Julia can I book in for a trim please”.
My response was, “Oh Hi Juila really sorry but I’m far too busy to take on any New Clients at the minute” ha ha !!

I know people can go where the want to get there hair cut and that’s absolutely fine, but it does make you feel like a fool for all the times you have gone above and beyond for them.

I wouldn’t let it bother you, you sound like your very good at what you do and im sure you have loads of nice clients who do appreciate you. and when they do come back make yourself unavailable. it does do the trick ;)

Latest posts

Back