Make-up application time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipster

Reaction score
Hi

I would like to know how much time you should allow when doing someone’s make-up and how to keep to those times.

For brides, I usually allow an hour and around 40mins for the bridesmaids. I allow 40mins for a night out make-up but I find it hard to keep to those times with a group.

I've to do 6 people for a 21st party this weekend and worried about getting it all done in time and still giving each of them a good look. In the past, I tend to take longer and the people are happy but I have to stop doing that.

How do you keep on top of time? Make sure you get a quick turnover between people without being pushy and whilst producing a great look?

Thanks!

Organisation is the key!

Have enough brushes for each client so your not wasting time cleaning them in between.
Make sure you have everything you need to hand and stay focused as its so easy to be sidetracked by client Wanting to chat.

I also ask clients to have examples if what they want ready for when its their turn as some people are not good at describing what the want!

I normally take between 20/30 mins per face for special occasion makeup excluding consult

I would find it really hard to do a full make-up in 20 mins. Would you normally do a smokey eye in that time? I could use 6 colours with lashes and liner so the eyes take me a while with all that blending.

Yes I have done smokey eye and full makeup in 20 mins.

however have been do this for nearly 14 years and done commercial, editorial, weddings, large booking numbers on my own or with little help, with very tight deadlines, so I'm used to working under pressure yet turning out excellent results.

Thanks, I hope to become faster. I suppose for the time being I need to chat less and not dwindle over things too much. Thanks for your help, I will try do it in 30mins.

How do you approach a quick turnover of people without seeming pushing to get the next person up?

Hi, like Lady Murasaki, I've also done a lot of commercial, fashion and editorial make up and so this forces you to work at a quick speed as there often isn't the luxury of large turn around times between models etc, so we're used to that. Therefore don't beat yourself up too much as it sounds like you're doing great with 45 mins per person... speed comes with practice!
As advised, have everything sorted and think about what order you do things - maybe change that order... for example, because I use Airbase, I know that needs time to settle after applying, so I apply it, then do eyes while foundation is setting, then go back to foundation, concealer etc. Where as with standard foundation, I'd pretty much complete the skin before doing eyes... knowing what works in which order is key to being quick.
Good luck! x

Glad thus thread was started got 3 make-ups in November, just guest not bridal party but I was aiming for 40 minutes per person considering I'm only just starting off I now realise this might not be the case lots if time to practise though thank god I've a fair idea of what they want :)

Thanks. I only work part time in beauty so I might not do a make-up for a month so even though I've been doing it for a while, I totally agree that you really can't create the experience you get when you have constant clients.
I usually have everything laid out before I start and know the order I do things, I only do eye first if I'm using glitter. My main problem is I spend too much time perfecting brows and eyes or being too polite waiting patiently for the next person to be ready.

If you had to wait 5 mins to start someone, would you reduce their time by 5 mns to stay on track?

Thanks for your help.

I find it so hard to stay on track when they keep chatting! I swear some of my clients must just come in for the craic because they never shop talking, lol

Latest posts

Back