Make up artists, advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuZz'<3

Reaction score
I was at my friends the other day, she's getting married in 4 weeks and had her 17th make up trial yesterday! She's so used to doing her own that she is being really picky... Anyway, the make up artist arrived but I noticed her kit was very very different than some of the other make up artist we had seen... She had basic make up, like my bag would look like.

Example:
She had Boots Natural collection mascara.
Dream matte mouse foundation
No7 eye shadows
No7 blushers

Another thing I found weird is there wasn't a big variety, she had only 2 foundation colours, where as other make up artists I've seen usually carry a wide variety as not every skin tone is the same!

Could any of you lovely make up artist just tell me if this is correct or wether we should be worried that she is using home brands?
She is charging £95
I don't want my friend to pay it if she is not even using the correct stuff

Thankyou x

Not sure id call myself a make up artist but I did cover and pass make up and photographic make up in college.

No way would I pay a 'professional' that sort of money for retail products, your friend could do it herself for half or less of that price! Alarm bells would be ringing, id wonder if they were even qualified! Id be questioning weather they cleaned their brushes properly, used disposable applicators where necessary etc

Wouldnt risk it imho!

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

I was at my friends the other day, she's getting married in 4 weeks and had her 17th make up trial yesterday! She's so used to doing her own that she is being really picky... Anyway, the make up artist arrived but I noticed her kit was very very different than some of the other make up artist we had seen... She had basic make up, like my bag would look like.

Example:
No7 eye shadows
No7 blushers

Another thing I found weird is there wasn't a big variety, she had only 2 foundation colours, where as other make up artists I've seen usually carry a wide variety as not every skin tone is the same!

Could any of you lovely make up artist just tell me if this is correct or wether we should be worried that she is using home brands?
She is charging £95

Thankyou x

She is clearly overcharging you. Any good makeup artist will have a selection of different foundations, I normally use premium brands only, such as MAC, Dior, NARS etc. If I had to have my makeup done by a make up artist, I would be put off by her choice of brands and lack of preparation (two foundation bases?!). You tend to get a completely different finish by using some of the premium brands. Good artist's kit costs a lot of money and simply worth investment due to quality and longevity of products. You have to respect your client and come fully prepared with a good choice of product. Wedding is a special date in anyone's life and you certainly want to look your best. Using N7 makeup might be ok for everyday use but on important occassion I would never use this brand. I have tried it before in my everyday life and I am afraid it did not work for me. Back to your original question, I would steer clear from this makeup artist and find somebody who has a full kit with decent premium products. I have also seen other makeup artists with incrediable kits charging a little less for a bridal makeup. I recommend you do a good search.

Thankyou! I pointed my concerns out to my friend, and she has agreed, we will continue the search for a make up artist. No I feel the same about some of the brands I seen her using, having tried them myself... Thanks for both of your advice x

As I professional mua I use mac, Graftobain RCMA and grimas and other high grade products and would never turn up with a few poor grade products bought from boots etc

This 'mua' (and I use the term loosely lol) that your friend used is clearly ripping her off.

Was your friend please with the results? If so she may be happy to pay her £95.

Also if your friend is 'picky' about her makeup and has been through 17 trials maybe she is better off doing her own makeup?

The mua could also be upping her rate due to your friend coming across as high maintenance and picky

The foundation selection is awful,
I don't do makeup but did do the course ( can't afford the products I want at the min). Even when training I had 14 foundations. They need a selection of liquid, mousse, powder etc...
I have done friends and family's makeup with what's in my kit (a lot of no7) but only charged £10 and that was for my time, I'm slowly changing over products 1 by 1 to mac, Lancôme etc... But the sad part for me is my aunts makeup bag is all premium
Products, I live doing her makeup because it leaves a gorgeous finish.

Also, it isn't a bad thing to ask the makeup artist to use your products if that's what you want so let your friend know she can pass over her makeup bag and ask that what's in teehee is used, iv told friends if there's a specific eyeshadow she likes or lipstick to get it and bring it for me to use.
And yes the brushes should be spotless, just be nosey and ask "I'm thinking of doing a makeup course, how often do I need to clean my brushes?" you should get a honest answer then lol xoxo

Xoxo

Thankyou for all of the comments... We've spoke over it and she said although she was happy with the trial it looked nothing different to her everyday make up (which is bare minimal) bit of lipgloss, mascara and foundation. She has been fussy with her trials, 17s a huge number of make up trials in my eyes lol, but some did make her look shocking! Like she was dressed for a night with the Towie lot rather than going to a wedding. However we've been into mac and their lovely staff helped us out, so we now have a bag of goodies to play with and I think she will be doing her own make up, with the help of her mum x

I have to disagree with everything said in this thread. I'm a well established make up artist and I have lower end make up products in my kit. It's not entirely made up of them , but they are in there.

A GOOD make up artist will choose a product because of the QUALITY not the price tag. Come on girls, we all know that no matter what make up brand you use there are going to be good products and bad products . Even on a personal note I currently have 14 foundations just for myself :eek: and the only 2 i am completely happy with are a YSL one that cost me €38 and a bourjois one that cost €15.

as for so few foundations, i have assisted some of the industries top makeup artist and they never carry more than 5 foundations. A true make up artist will have the knowledge of color theory behind them to MIX and get the perfect match for their client... because its so rare for someone to actually be a perfect match straight out of a bottle .

Now i'm not saying that this girl was top of her game, i'm just saying don't be label whores when it comes to the make up . Its the finished result that counts not the products used

IMO.. the cost if product is not relative to the price she charges, as your paying for skills. I for example, will charge a client the exact same price for file and polish whether the use my nail varnish (AND I use a varity of ones at different costs).or there own, as they are paying for my time, knowledge and skill!

I.understand you may of expected the most expensive product range, but the high cost of something doed not mean its the best! I have a wide range of products in my goodie bag (aka suitcase of make up lol) from boots no 7 to youngblood mineral and its because I like the product, not that it costs a lot! Hth x x ps I hope your friends finds someone! 17 trials must be driving her mad!! ' x

I have to disagree with everything said in this thread. I'm a well established make up artist and I have lower end make up products in my kit. It's not entirely made up of them , but they are in there.

A GOOD make up artist will choose a product because of the QUALITY not the price tag. Come on girls, we all know that no matter what make up brand you use there are going to be good products and bad products . Even on a personal note I currently have 14 foundations just for myself :eek: and the only 2 i am completely happy with are a YSL one that cost me €38 and a bourjois one that cost €15.

as for so few foundations, i have assisted some of the industries top makeup artist and they never carry more than 5 foundations. A true make up artist will have the knowledge of color theory behind them to MIX and get the perfect match for their client... because its so rare for someone to actually be a perfect match straight out of a bottle .

Now i'm not saying that this girl was top of her game, i'm just saying don't be label whores when it comes to the make up . Its the finished result that counts not the products used

Yes, but as you have just said it, a good makeup artist carries at least 5 different foundation bases, not two! I tend to carry six and always mix if necessary..and still find it it's not enough at times. I also noted a GOOD make up artist does not use N7 foundation/s in his/her kit. I understand where you are coming from by saying it's all about quality and not the price tag and I agree, I tend to use Maxfactor and Borjous mascaras because they are the best and threw away YSL shocking mascara becuase it cloggs terribly! It is not all about premium brands, it is about beaing smart as to what products you use and how you use them, but by coming down with N7 kit, I am afraid it is not going to impress me if I was a bride!

I sort of agree with all of you but the boots mascara? Hmm. I would not pay £95 for someone to use mascara on me that cost £1.99

She pulled out literally the smallest bag ever, and from the trials so far, I have seen some pretty good kits from other make up artist but this one had alarm bells ringing, she had 1 small pallete of eye shadows
Where as the other trials have always had a wide variety of shades.
This artist looked like she had pulled out her personal make up bag.

I agree in different named make up can be just as good as the expensive stuff
But would you pay a hairdresser full amount for a colour to see them using a 'home kit' on you?

I sort of agree with all of you but the boots mascara? Hmm. I would not pay £95 for someone to use mascara on me that cost £1.99

She pulled out literally the smallest bag ever, and from the trials so far, I have seen some pretty good kits from other make up artist but this one had alarm bells ringing, she had 1 small pallete of eye shadows
Where as the other trials have always had a wide variety of shades.
This artist looked like she had pulled out her personal make up bag.

I agree in different named make up can be just as good as the expensive stuff
But would you pay a hairdresser full amount for a colour to see them using a 'home kit' on you?

well, maxfactor and bourjous do not exactly cost £1.99! I understand where you are coming from, that is why it's important to stay smart and understand the basic principles..you are asking good questions though, yes I wouldn't want anyone to use £1.99 mascara on me either! Like I pointed out before, the key to great complexion is foundation, it is a must. Therefore, the foundation must be of a good quality. Long-lasting, the one that photographs well (MAC is great), sets well etc. eyeshadows, again, must be of great quality, long-lasting, do not crease etc..I would not mind mix and match products but I always study what products are/can be mixed and matched and according to my skin tone I tend to have an idea what product my skin will/will not take to. Therefore it's important for me a makeup artist carries out a good kit wit brilliant choice of product I can taylor what would work better etc.

Hi,
I fully agree with Noreen. I trained with MAC and whilst I do a huge amount of weddings I also do an equally huge amount of session work, editorials and shows. I only ever carry 4 foundations the very lightest and the very darkest for warm tones and cool tones. The first thing I was taught was how to colour match, I custom mix my foundation to match the individual. I have a friend who is a very well known mua and she does the same. Most of my products are MAC but that is because I like that particular product, performance, colour etc. I use Body Shop powders for tv work and Maybelline waterproof mascara for most jobs, again because I like what those products offer and how they perform.
Would you question a hair dresser/artist who uses Ellenet hairspray just because you can buy it in most supermarkets and discount stores? This is the hairspray du jour backstage at some of the biggest fashion shows that the industry has to offer. Surely the same goes for make up products, if a "cheaper" branded product performs better than it's more expensive counterpart I know which one I'd choose.
Furthermore, if the bride to be is happy with the result then is the mua 's preferred choice of product really a problem?
xx

Hi,
I fully agree with Noreen. I trained with MAC and whilst I do a huge amount of weddings I also do an equally huge amount of session work, editorials and shows. I only ever carry 4 foundations the very lightest and the very darkest for warm tones and cool tones. The first thing I was taught was how to colour match, I custom mix my foundation to match the individual. I have a friend who is a very well known mua and she does the same. Most of my products are MAC but that is because I like that particular product, performance, colour etc. I use Body Shop powders for tv work and Maybelline waterproof mascara for most jobs, again because I like what those products offer and how they perform.
Would you question a hair dresser/artist who uses Ellenet hairspray just because you can buy it in most supermarkets and discount stores? This is the hairspray du jour backstage at some of the biggest fashion shows that the industry has to offer. Surely the same goes for make up products, if a "cheaper" branded product performs better than it's more expensive counterpart I know which one I'd choose.
Furthermore, if the bride to be is happy with the result then is the mua 's preferred choice of product really a problem?
xx

Yes, I love and I use MAC makeup foundations and high street mascaras, works well for when I work on the shoot!;)

Just got to say, but n7 is actually quite nice, I use te intelligent colour foundation in medium on myself and their eyebrow pencil's I love lancôme lip liner and ysl touché Clait, (being male can be a bit boring when it comes to makeup).
My kit contains a lot of n7, because I do like their products, I can understand you not being happy with a small palet of shades for eyeshadow though, on last count there was 240 and that was when I finished training, I carry a lot of lipsticks and gloss too all in subtle and bold choices depending where I'm going to focus, foundation is something I carry a lot of, but it's true about mixing, I only carry a choice because of different skin types and what will last the longest on them. One client I was given primark eyeshadow to use on them (their supplying) and used clarins foundation, it's all about the variety of the products (all brands do different shades so a variety of brands to me is a must) so maybe don't take note of their products. Being a hairdresser too... In response to the home kit, I personally wouldn't use one on someone, I supply my own product and I can get pro only colours because it's available, makeup isn't sold in pro only ranges, joe blogs can buy every brand, therefore even the best kit is something you can buy yourself and therefore "inferior"? Xoxo

Just got to say, but n7 is actually quite nice, I use te intelligent colour foundation in medium on myself and their eyebrow pencil's I love lancôme lip liner and ysl touché Clait, (being male can be a bit boring when it comes to makeup).
My kit contains a lot of n7, because I do like their products, I can understand you not being happy with a small palet of shades for eyeshadow though, on last count there was 240 and that was when I finished training, I carry a lot of lipsticks and gloss too all in subtle and bold choices depending where I'm going to focus, foundation is something I carry a lot of, but it's true about mixing, I only carry a choice because of different skin types and what will last the longest on them. One client I was given primark eyeshadow to use on them (their supplying) and used clarins foundation, it's all about the variety of the products (all brands do different shades so a variety of brands to me is a must) so maybe don't take note of their products. Being a hairdresser too... In response to the home kit, I personally wouldn't use one on someone, I supply my own product and I can get pro only colours because it's available, makeup isn't sold in pro only ranges, joe blogs can buy every brand, therefore even the best kit is something you can buy yourself and therefore "inferior"? Xoxo
Ah, I used to work for YSL, yes touche eclat is good but not the best, I personally prefer Dior skinflash:lol: and me too, I love a variety of lip glosses and lipsticks and YSL are pretty good ones!;)

I fully agree with you all, but as I stated previously her kit was smaller than my personal kit! And I don't wear alot of make up myself, I just have so many different brands that I use on different occasions lol!
Come to think of it, she didn't even have any lipsticks! Because she used a clear lipgloss on my friend and when my friend said
She was hoping for abit of colour the Mua said 'no I only use clear' hmm.

I'm not slating her on the brands. I'm not a Mua but as you've all stated, you all prefer different brands and that's your opinions so i now know not to be wary of the brands she was using, but it just got me that she didn't have much kit at all... Thanks all for advice x

I have to admit JuZz, I would have thought exactly the same thing. It's a little bit odd that the 'MUA' stated that she only used clear "/ Some makeup artists only bring what they think they might need to trials which is why her kit might have seemed small, but for it to contain a few low end products, especially for such an important event, in this case, a wedding is questionable. Yes we might all love our branding but come on...high-end brands are used by professionals for a reason. Even if we do feel like personally, the low end products sometimes perform as well as the high-end of the spectrum, there really should have been a range there, not only for purposes such as colour/skin type matching but for allergy testing too. Did the makeup artist in question sanitise the makeup or use disposable lipgloss/mascara wands etc or did she apply it straight to the lip/eye then back in the tube?

Example:
No7 eye shadows
No7 blushers

She is charging £95

Thankyou x

Hi there are two issues here;

1. Any good, experienced, competent makeup artist can achieve an amazing look with products that come from Superdrug. Fact!

2. Products don't matter in the 1st instance because any artiste can achieve the look. HOWEVER, with cheap products you can guarantee they won't stay on and you'll need continual touching up plus they will look naff on HD camera.

When choosing a makeup artiste for weddings, word of mouth recommendations are vital, google them for referrals/references. Always ask for recent clients. All the experienced makeup artistes are doing at least 3 weddings a week at the moment maybe even 6/7, that's a lot of people to phone to ask about their experiences. If you have found a good photographer it would be normal for him to have a number of MUA's he can recommend.

Finally, biased bit, if they are using Artdeco you know it will stay on all day with perfect pigmentation, biggest compliant we get from Brides is that they have to take the makeup off, lol the following morning!!!;)

Latest posts

Back